nos tubes /hard wired amps/yes / no

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BOUNTYHUNTER5, Jun 29, 2008.

1. BOUNTYHUNTER5

BOUNTYHUNTER5 Member

:SpankI am a firm believer in nos tubes verses new stuff.I put a lot of money in to old Mullards 50`s and such.I spend the time required to break them end under voltage/not accual use/48 hours. Firmly believe in the difference in sound.I recently talked to a sound man buddy of mine that said I was crazy.He calls himself a tone freak and runs sound professionally.He also is not a big believer in hard wired amps.I have a Victoria on order.Does anyone else get it? BOUNTYHUNTERFIVE.COM

2. BOUNTYHUNTER5

BOUNTYHUNTER5 Member

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Yes and no.

Good NOS tube are great, but sources are dwindling and new production doesn't sound half bad.

Handwired vs PCB, there are a ton of variables...I'd rather have a reliable amp, doesn't matter if its handwired or not. Some handwired amps have miles of wire and unneccessary solder joints that are all future possible failure points...any wire or solder joint that can be eliminated, makes the amp that much more reliable. Some PCB's are built very well, with heavy traces and through board eyelets.

4. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

???

5. 767400

767400 Member

I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker RI and it came stock with new 5881 valves. I was told I was crazy too, but I purchased a set of Genalex KT-66 50's stock and the sound difference was huge! I can honestly say it was the biggest sounding modification I made to the amp. The break-up went from too early mushy to just right smooth. I also just recently purchased a hand wired amp from Atom Amps and had NOS Mullard EL34's installed right from the start. It is different from my Marshall in a very good way and I enjoy them both.

Again, I am a firm believer in NOS tubes and hand wired amps. Your not alone.

6. Gretschman

Gretschman Member

I get it for sure .

Thousands for bucks for NOS tubes .
    I tube roll all the time .

If you do a A/B test , you can hear the difference .

No offense to your friend , but , there is a big difference in tone .

But you could say the same about speakers , microphones , preamps
    and almost every thing in the music business .

I spent big money for a solid Madagascar Rosewood guitar body .
    I could have saved $ 900.00 using a different wood .
    I sounds incredible and resonates like crazy .
    I can hear the difference.

NOS tubes in the right amp are no different .
    I own 7 Blueverbs with NOS tubes . I have tube rolled hundreds of tubes to find the right tone , including new JJ's and New Tung Sol tubes .
    If new tubes sounded as good as the NOS tubes , I would have bought them .

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've never had any epiphanies with NOS. Are there some differences wrt to new manufacture? Yes. But I've yet to wet my pants with NOS. I consider NOS to be just another choice for slightly different flavor.

8. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I've tried both and prefer new for what I am doing.

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

The major advantage of NOS tubes is longevity. They usually will outlast newer "boutique" tubes by a long, long, way. Whether they sound better is up to the listener. I prefer them for their durability. There certainly are new "boutique" tubes that sound great, no doubt about it. But you'll typically go through three or four sets of newer tubes before you have to replace one set of NOS tubes. Unfortunately we will all eventually be using "boutique" tubes. Maybe they'll improve the reliability of them by then.

Tom

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Oh yeah...PTP vs PCB...if they're both done right they'll sound great and be very reliable and serviceable. But many, many, PCB amps are not done right...pots mounted on the circuit board, for example. That not only has the potential to create reliability problems, it just plain does. And many PCB amps are virtually impossible to service. That's where PCB amps get the bad rap. But many of the PCB amps that are designed well and built correctly are great amps.

Tom

11. BOUNTYHUNTER5

BOUNTYHUNTER5 Member

I didn`t think I was crazy or just hearing things,but I really DID respect my buddy new his stuff.Now I think that if I have to explain it to someone ,they wouldn`t get it any way.Pre 6o`s Mullards from Blackburn factory with good numbers will make a believer out of any that can afford them.Billy Gibbons tube/amp man got me hooked.He set me up with my first 12axMull1958.Even in a cb amp/dipped in a solder bath/can benefit,like my classic 30`s.

12. 56_Special

56_Special Member

In my experience not all NOS tubes sound great in a particular amp, and there isn't always a huge difference between them and their new production counterparts. People say they are better made and last longer. There are tonal differences to be sure. They are quite subtle, but to me they are often worth it. The differences are often overstated on internet discussion boards. YMMV. Hand wired vs. PCB is not a tone issue but a serviceability issue.

13. go7

go7 Member

In old designed amps like a 5E3 I much prefer nos Brimars and RCA pre amp tubes.In my modern Rivera Quiana I don`t hear a lot of difference. The old amps were designed around these old tubes. The more complicated the circuit the less I hear nos making a big tonal change. I use nos in my Quiana just for the logevity of nos.Just my .02 cents worth.

14. Unabender

Unabender Member

Many PCB amps are not "virtually impossible to service" because they are PCB amps, but because they may be very complex. And even then I bet most techs who actually know what they're doing could work with most of them.

15. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I haven't been one to notice a noticeable tonal enough difference when It comes to tubes. I had some older Tesla EL34's in my Aiken and switched to some newer production Svetlana's and guess what? It basically sounded the same to me. Clearly I can hear the difference between a tube that may be going south vs a new tube. I have not much experience in comparing some desireable NOS tubes vs production stuff but even if there was a tonal benefit I'd have a hard time paying the prices for something that could take a dump 10 minutes after I buy it.

16. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

To my ears and experience, l feel there's lots of great tone to be had with many of the current production tubes that are available, if they're installed in a quality amp that's setup properly. The new tubes may not last as long, I'll give you that. Having played a zillion PCB amps, 1/2 a zillion hardwired amps and the 8 amp kits I've built.. I've come to the conclusion that given the same circuit, capacitor size and composition is one of the major differences in a mass produced PCB and a hardwired amp. The metalized film mini caps you find in PCB amps just arn't going to spit out the same quality signal as a full sized film/foil or PIO cap. So, give me a hardwired amp with quality caps (Sozo, Mojo Dijon's, OJ's, PIO's, etc..) and I'll save some money and buy decent current production tubes.