NOS tubes running out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i'm sure we've all noticed the skyrocketing prices and the lack of inventory at a lot of NOS tube sites and ebay...so it begs the question: are we witnessing the extinction of the 'holy grail' tubes? are we really beginning to run out or are we just up against the 'hoarders' with tons and tons of tubes? for example: are there simply very few working GEC kt88's left or did jimmy page buy them all, etc etc? i currently only have one complete NOS set per amp and i only put those in for recording. i'm starting to think about jumping in and buying up as many extras as i can before prices go even higher or inventory dwindles anymore....

2. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Supply and demand will always dictate prices . Also audiophiles who have very deep pockets :Spank

3. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

The supply is by definition limited. The ones in use are getting used up. The ones not in use will keep decreasing in quantity, and increasing in price -- until eventually they are all gone. Although it may be centuries before they're ALL gone, the sooner you buy the better...

4. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

right, i'm definitely going to start buying very soon...like next paycheck soon. anyway, i guess i meant 'running out' in the absolute sense....like we won't be able find mullard 12ax7's at all. speaking of which: does anyone know where there are GEC kt66's and/or 88's in stock?

5. hogy

hogy Member

Yes they are, by definition.

Stop putting them in your clone amps!

Leave them for the vintage amps that are designed around them.

It's getting to be like gutting '50s ES-175s so you can have "vintage" pots and pickups in your reissue Les Paul.

6. Dave

Dave Member

I understand what you're saying, but some of us like to use NOS tubes not only because of the way they sound, but because they last so much longer than most current production tubes they end up being a better value in the long run.

7. Trout

Trout Member

There is no shortage of pocket depth on either side of that issue.
    And think about this, If "audiophiles" want to hear the music that
    "musicians" produce on the best possible eqiupment they can afford, then one should respect the fact that they care about what they hear as much as you do.

Why do musicians think they need the best vintage guitars, amps, and NOS tubes and expect listeners to listen to crappy deflated mp3's on their POS ipods?

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

maybe 'audiophiles' and 'musicians' should get together, get out the pitchforks and torches and start storming rockstars houses. i bet neil young, richie blackmore, and jimmy page have 100x as many tubes than they'll ever use including backups. a seige might be in order!

9. Trout

Trout Member

One thing I should have mentioned was "Collectors"

Sure it is a hobby, and we all love our hobbies, but an example that erks me is a guy out this way I know. Nearly 1/2 million tubes in his collection. He actually built a 2 story climate controlled 3 car garage to store and occasionally show them. As I glanced across his European wall I noted thousands of NOS Telefunkens and Mullards & GEC's. In another corner, 100pc Flats of RCA 12AX7's, 6L6's 6V6's stacked 10 high. Rows of Racks, Stuffed to the ceiling.

When I asked if he would sell me a dozen 12AX7's, he actually got offended! Using them is a sin he explains!! What's really sad is 2 of his buddies have collections that make his look like small change. 1 guy has over 1.8 million audio tubes!
    I have way more respect for the guys that use the tubes for creation and playback of music than I do for guys that hoard these away needlessly.

10. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Im a bit shocked to hear there are people with that many tubes who sound like they have no intention on using them. Are they waiting until you simply cant find any more and then try and make a mint on them???
    I just dont get it I guess.

11. thegame

thegame Member

:FM:FM:FM:FM:FM

12. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

to all tube hoarders: i WILL be at your estate sale.

13. Dave

Dave Member

I'm having a hard time comprehending this. People collect tubes like other people might collect stamps or coins? Does he just enjoy looking at them, or do they somehow instill feelings of nostalgia? What's the attraction and why the need to have so many?

14. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

While the supply is limited, there are still lots of stores and online vendors that have huge stocks of NOS and ANOS tubes. I was in a tube store in Chicago just a few weeks ago that was filled with shelves of NOS tubes. There were so many there was only about a 10' x 10' area for customers to stand! Don't fear, there will be NOS tubes around for a long time!

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

Good questions, but ones that could be asked of collectors of other commodities as well.

16. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Yikes! I know people collect everything but I didn't know there were people like that.

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

There are probably more nos vacuum tubes
    on this planet than anything else electronic.
    We just don't see them because many have been
    put away, or are sitting in wharehouses.
    They're out there.

18. Unabender

Unabender Member

So if I build a complete replication of Marshall 18 watter, it somehow is not "designed for NOS tubes" because it's a clone? Do please explain...

On a second thought I don't use NOS tubes anyway... I have a few manufacturers that give good enough results with their current production tubes.

19. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    So if someone wants to put them in a Komet you would say no because it isn't a vintage amp?:rolleyes:

20. 78tsubaki

78tsubaki Member

I buy them and I use them so mine are no longer NOS they are ANOS.
    They sound great in my Reinhardt 18 and my Rivera Jake.

I dont have a great collection but given the expected useful life of Mullard and Brimar 12AX7s I probably have a lifetime supply.
    Kind of like guitars. How many do you really need....:D