NOS Vintage 12AX7/ECC83 5751 Extinction 2020 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr.PinkLikesGain, Feb 27, 2019.

Tags:

When do you think these will completely disappear from the market?

1. 2019

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2020

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2021

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. 5 years

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. 10 years

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Never

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Consider them extinct

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Mr.PinkLikesGain

Mr.PinkLikesGain Member

I am about to buy a tax return of these because I believe I will not be able to find virgin NOS 12AX7/ECC83 or 5751 in two years. When I look hard all I can find is some GE, RCA, Brimar, and occasionally Tungsram. What do you guys think? What have you collected so far?

Loop-Master likes this.
  2. Drak

Drak Member

I think if you're not really, really, really careful, you blow all your money on microphonic tubes.
    Based on the temperature of your OP, I'd be prepared for a lot of noisy tubes.
    Get it? A 'lot'? :rotflmao
    It's not worth it really.
    Give it a week, have a cup of coffee, consider other options.

3. Mr.PinkLikesGain

Mr.PinkLikesGain Member

Been doing this for awhile man. I have a trusted source but I appreciate your 'concerns'.

Loop-Master likes this.
  4. Drak

Drak Member

How much are you paying per tube?

5. Mr.PinkLikesGain

Mr.PinkLikesGain Member

The 5751's between 40-75 depending on black vs grey and build quality. The 12AX7's are all around 75 bucks right now, which is steep. I'm in a way lucky because I like 5751's, so I save a bit here and there. They're also more rugged than the 12ax7's. I am wanting to buy the 12au7's because I use them in distortion/overdrive pedals but they are pretty cheap.

Loop-Master likes this.
  6. Drak

Drak Member

Thankfully I bought enough of everything (NOS/UOS powers, pre's, rec's, everything) to last me this lifetime and a few more 20 years ago.
    I concur tho, I wouldn't want to be in the NOS/UOS market these days between current pricing and reliability, it's a dicey business.
    I was paying $20.00/apiece back then for AX's and 5751's.
    Helluva world now...

Loop-Master, lemonman and Jon C like this.
  7. Mr.PinkLikesGain

Mr.PinkLikesGain Member

I've got a good stock as well. I'm younger than most on here, so I was late to the game and only started collecting them in 2014. I wish I paid 20.00 a piece back when the getting was good. You have made a few good points though. I think I'll grab a few black plate 5751's and quit paying the insane amounts they want for these now, I have enough preamp tubes to last me. I'm lacking on Vintage power tubes though. I absolutely cringe to pay for those and the rectifiers as well.

Loop-Master likes this.
  8. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I think the stock is healthy enough. Run out in 2020? No, no they won't. Especially not preamp tubes like 12AX7.

Loop-Master likes this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Same ... prices were nicer c. Late 1990s-early '00s

Loop-Master likes this.
  10. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

So, all the old Lowries and Wurlies and Baldwins have been gutted already?

I kinda doubt that.

As long as there are Boomers to die,
    There should be a tube supply.

PS : obviously, I'm equating NOS with the tubes that have sat, unused, in Aunt Bessie's console organ.
    Unmoved and unused and low B+ = a damn good tube, imo.

11. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Can't think of a better example of "Burned in and Screened" ;)

12. DonP

DonP Member

I have enough tubes until I die. I know I have brand new pack of 5 RCA 12AX7's sitting in the basement. I guess I should put together a spreadsheet of all the tube I have.

Loop-Master likes this.
  13. blues

blues Supporting Member

Depending on which amp I'm buying tubes for I don't think you need to go all NOS in every position.

Simple circuit non master volume amps is where I would go for NOS.

Having said that prices will keep climbing for NOS 12AX7 and 5751. That's what I have
    noticed.

I have also noticed by watching trusted sources that I'm seeing less true NOS than five years ago. What
    you will see is those reputable dealers are selling more ANOS than say even three years ago.

It's a fact that there are big name sellers who sell ANOS as NOS if they test like "NOS" Read the fine print
    on some of those websites.

Will there be NOS 12ax7 and 5751 tubes in the next five years? Probably. But you can bet the prices will be climbing.

OP do your home work before you spend a lot of money on tubes. Personally if I had some extra money to spend
    on tubes I would buy now. Mostly because the prices are going up. But find a trusted source.

I learned this the hard way.

I do believe that your going to see less real NOS qualty tubes in the future. Notice I used the word quality not crap.

I recommend KCA. If he says NOS they are NOS. Don't rule out ANOS. A strong tube is a strong tube.

Also don't fall for some of the dealers saying they have the best or fancy testing procedures. Snake oil.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Hard to say. I've got a bunch of NOS tubes - preamp and power amp. Love em. Make a huge difference. I think there's still good stock out there. But, it does appear to be less than say 10-15 years ago. And, prices have gone up.

Mr.PinkLikesGain and blues like this.
  15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm the king of old organs around here (hmm, not sure that means what I thought it did...). So I've got drawers of "tested strong" 12AX7s and AU7s. Not so many AT7s (they didn't seem to get a lot of use in organs). Many, many octal preamp tubes. A decent supply of power tubes.

But if I want something specific, say XF-3 Mullard EL34s? That's not going to happen, it's just the luck of the draw. Hmm, maybe I should get into trading with some of the other hoarders on here. The Tube Page, anyone?

16. coltonius

Ironically, all this thread is likely to do is create false-hysteria (hyperbole..) and contribute to the "end of days" coming sooner rather than later.

But tagging on the Doc's message- two words: HAM radio.

A lot of the tubes that are gold to musicians mean nothing to HAM radio operators, and I was able to purchase dozens of ANOS/tests strong tubes for pennies on the dollar a few years back at a HAM swap meet. I need to contact those guys again because I have new amps with different needs. :D

17. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Good tubes? Yes. NOS? No, not quite.

Loop-Master likes this.
  18. blues

blues Supporting Member

I was able to find two pairs of XF-2 last year as backups for both my Marshall's. There are NOS out there
    but I'm not longer willing to pay for NOS XF-2 or 3

It's not hyperbole when we are talking about some NOS 12ax7 or 5751. A NOS Mullard 12ax7 or 7025 will cost you a nice
    chunk of change. Same goes for Amperex. Even RCA.

If anyone wants to buy NOS tubes like these I would buy them now. Only because
    the prices will keep climbing.

Some NOS Brimar are closing in on $100.

This might be ones best bet if you want to go ANOS. If you have a trusted source keep with it. When it's all said and done
    your amp is the best tube tester to try tubes.

No one can say that a NOS will outlast an ANOS. Or even sound better. I get some of my ANOS for the guy who works on my amp.
    Hell I don't even know if you could call some of them ANOS.

He tests them while I there and we put the tube in my amp and have a listen. To much noise and we try another. That's
    how I got those Mules I sent you. They sounded good in my amp.

As always caveat emptor. The tubes will be around in two years that's for sure. I gave my thoughts on post #13

Loop-Master likes this.
  19. coltonius

You sent those tubes, what? 2-3 years ago? I use that amp all the time and they’re still going strong. I never got that kind of life out of JJs or Groove Tubes; it was more like 10-12 months.

Even if I pay $50-60 for a NOS/ANOS tube and only get 2-3 years of consistent use, that’s still enough of a value to justify the extra cost over new production!

Loop-Master and HeavyCream like this.
  20. andrekp

andrekp Member

Wait...you buy expensive NOS tubes just to go and use them in a distortion pedal!? is this like the folks who ask about running their distortion pedals at 18v to get "more headroom!"

There's this ancient technology called "math" you might look into...
    (I know...there's more than just cost - I'm just giving you grief. :))

I'm of the internet-value opinion that tubes really only make a lot of sense when they are cheap. Meaning, these days, JJ's or whatever. Even if you get a great NOS tube, you are one accidental carrying-the-amp wall-bang from rendering your $200 tube job pointless.

If you want to put expensive tubes into a bedroom amp that never moves, that's one thing. But expensive tubes in an amp that gets moved often is just asking for spending more money - largely for audiences that really don't care that you are using Mullards from the 60's, or whatever. One slip packing in back into your car - bye, bye tubes. $10 JJ's make far more sense in a modern working amp.

(and I usually get at least a couple years out of the JJ's in my 18watt. I think the ones in there now have been in for more than that. Mileage definitely varies on that sort of thing though.)

Loop-Master and Mr.PinkLikesGain like this.