Nostalgia is a powerful drug

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I didn't particularly like a lot of music from my past, all through my past. I was something of a hater! Before being a hater was a thing. There's music that might remind me of things and bring on nostalgia, but I don't like the music itself any more now than I did then, or even less.

On the other hand, there might be stuff that I overlooked in the past particularly in my teens because it wasn't was immediately cool, but I realize now I think is pretty good.

Shiro

Gold Supporting Member
Don't waste the present moment thinking about about something that happened 30 years ago.
Right now, I'm on my deck smoking a good cigar, listening to Hootie and the blowfish, drinking a cold beer.
The 90's happened exactly as they had to. I wouldn't trade that for right now.

jnewmark

For me it was ( is ) '60's Girl Groups, especially The Ronnetes, and all those Wall Of Sound girl groups. Da Doo Ron Ron !

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Aren't we talking about nostalgia here? By definition that's from our past.

I listen to a good amount of music from eras before I was around. Big band era, yeah, particularly vocalists. And a lot of jazz and blues that wasn't on my radar when I was a little kid but in some ways has become my main interest. And some classical. And stuff from later in my life that I didn't listen to when it was current.

But all that supports my main point, that music is music and can be good on it's own merits even if it was also what we listened to when we first made out or whatever.
Of course, I wasn't disputing that at all. And in fact, I'm with you.

The thread is about nostalgia and how it influences us. Certainly, music is one of those things we tend to get nostalgic about. Some here appear to only or mostly value the music they grew up with. That seems to move us past just nostalgia into something else.

twotone

For me it was the music that was popular when I was a kid. I didn't have a happy childhood, but I am nostalgic about some of the music I heard.

I couldn't stand a lot of the music that was popular when I was a teenager, and by the time I reached my mid twenties I stopped following the music scene.

No_Stairway

This isn't all rock but I find it funny to hear these kids react to this stuff. I imagine if you have kids you've heard these reactions already.

deceased

Yeah dude. The likelihood of human life going on comfortably for more than 20 years is pretty unlikely. Not that human life is comfortable for most people as it is.

End times will make a person nostalgic- that’s for sure. People my age probably won’t make it to the age of the average TGPer, so you betcha I get nostalgic.

homeunit

Platinum Supporting Member
I love the music of my youth. It’s what I grew up on and it’s what and how I learned to play. I am confused by a lot of today’s guitar playing, tones, melodies and note choices.

I still think Ty Tabor is the bees knees.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Aren't we talking about nostalgia here? By definition that's from our past.

Unless we're talking about cultural nostalgia -- which is tied to collective cultural memory, rather than the specific memories of living individuals.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom