• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Nostalgia strikes again! Fairly rare Ibanez incoming.

Daytona57

I have a couple of 80s Ibanez basses,
a 1982 lawsuit Roadster, short scale P bass.

1986 Ibanez Roadstar PJ bass, same model, to the one, JP Jones, played in the 1984 Live Aid Concert, Led Zeppelin reunion.

Theses basses, play so easily and sound so good, I sold my Fender basses.

YMMV

Coopster

Awesome! I had a 540 Radius at one point but always wanted one of the Power models, they're just cool. And it looks like it's in fantastic shape which is rare, nice get!

Dominik

Congrats! I've got a white 540p here, like the one satch used on the first álbum.
Love the tone on the singles.
Actually Satriani used a Kramer Pacer and a partscaster on the first two albums. When he signed with Ibanez in 1987 they did a new album cover for Not of This Earth using the photo below and a 540P was also used for photography on the vinyl release of Surfing with the Alien. As you know after that he picked the 540 Radius as the starting point for his JS guitars. It's a great looking Ibanez.

2XUCJy1.jpg

wcgYZBm.png

Edit: also made an appearance on the cover of the Dreaming #11 EP.

8bSRHNq.jpg

2U8w6tW.jpg

Last edited:

monty

I remember that ad very well from when I was I kid, those slacks were disturbing, lol. Very cool guitars though, love the color you got!

Batch

Gold Supporting Member
I had nostalgia hit me a couple of years ago... had custom p/u's put in a blinding yellow 540S, named it Sharpie, and set it up for B standard tuning just to throw everybody off :p

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
If I had the money (and the storage) I'd do the same. I have a big soft spot for all the guitars i couldn't afford as a kid.

I'm all out of room already :bonk I have a couple guitars I don't really need, so time to get them out the door.
That thing is awesome! Does the catalog page say the color is "Magenda"?

Yup. :p

blynn894

Silver Supporting Member
The 540P was the first nice guitar my parents bought me back in '87. Sadly it was stolen from church about 15 years ago. I miss it and look for them often but they are definitely hard to find. Nice purchase OP

blynn894

Silver Supporting Member
The 540P was the first nice guitar my parents bought me back in '87. Sadly it was stolen from church about 15 years ago. I miss it and look for them often but they are definitely hard to find. Nice purchase OP

Ironically, in the same case with the Ibanez was an autographed picture from Paul Gilbert I got back in 1988-89 right as Mr. Big was starting. I oddly got to hang around with him in a music store prior to his guitar clinic, I'm sure I was pestering him but he was gracious to me as a 16 year old kid. He signed that picture that day and I kept it in the guitar case :(

John C

Gold Supporting Member
@Blix - congrats on the 540P; it seems to me they are the rarest of the 540 models - I have seen maybe 3 in person over the years, all of them first generation (2 HSS similar to the one you just scored, and one with the triple coil - which I suppose was a humbucker and a single coil in the same mounting like a Hamer Prototype/Phantom). I've never seen the 2nd version that had the reversed body anywhere but in an Ibanez catalog

Nice, congrats. I have seen those. I used to have the 540s. It was more common I think. Half of my hometown on Norway had them in the 90's.

@The bear - you mean that your town had 540S (Sabre) models, correct? I think that was the most prevalent where I was living at the time (Lexington, KY, but wound up in Louisville a lot for family events so was at the shops in both areas a lot, plus a few runs up to Cincinnati OH as well).

My guess it's the 540 radius series you've seen , the one I bought is a lot rarer, the Radius is pretty similar:
latest

:)

The 540R was my favorite of the 3 - probably for the Radius neck vs. the thinner Wizard neck.

Last edited:
When I saw the word "rare", I was hoping was one of those RG-ART or PMC Jem models.

But this is almost as cool- congrats! :D

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
I had an orange Ibanez around 1987-89 briefly that I bought in Puerto Rico when I was a sound guy on a cruise ship for a month. Wish I had pictures of it. It may have been one of those. Don't remember why I didn’t keep it. Maybe had a really thin neck? Or just didn’t sound like my Japanese Fender two humbucker strat with a ****** Kahler trem that I was used to.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom