nostalgia thread - the one you sold and regretted it!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by G3sal, Feb 21, 2012.

1. G3sal

G3sal Supporting Member

I sold a 1984 Fender Stratocaster American standard for $900. Had that guitar for 18 years! :jo

2. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

And you regret it because you were cold and could have used it for firewood instead?

3. 3th3r

3th3r Member

My 1978 Gibson "The Les Paul" that I bought used for $300 several years ago. Wish I'd kept that one.

4. RJLII

RJLII Member

A 1951 single P90 ES-175 I bought in Kalamazoo in 1986 for $300. All original everything, from the original owner. Traded it in 1992 for a 40th anniversary Les Paul that was later stolen. All things considered, I wish I'd kept the ES-175

5. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Two come to mind, a '59 Guild T-100D and a late '50s Premier Bantam:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I did recently find a nice substitute for the Guild, a 1960 M-75 Aristocrat. That Premier, though, will probably be impossible to replace - it was the only one I've ever found that didn't have crumbling binding.

6. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

This thing. However after i sold it, it turned up on CL 14 months later and i bought again.

[​IMG]

7. SAVOIE

SAVOIE Member

Late 50`s Kay with an after market piezo, gorgeous looking and I made 400$ off it. Every time I try to find something like it I haven`t found a single decent playing Kay that looks as ballsy. I think I sold one of the last good ones thats still kicking around after so many decades.

8. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

A les Paul m3 in a trans blue. My friend bought it new when he was young. It fell off a stage and snapped the neck to about a 45 degree angle off the body. and he cased it for about five years. I found it while cleaning up our practice spot and asked if I could try to fix it. I gave I lots of love and to my surprise. When all was said and done. It played like a dream. I told him if he EVER wanted to sell it to call me first. Well about ten years later he did sell it to me. I cherished it like no other guitar I have ever owned.
    I got into financial issues and ended up having to sell it, and for a much lower price because of the neck issue that I fixed. I still think about that guitar all the time.
    Also had a tan tolex 1978 Marshall jmp that sounded amazing. I was offered $3000 for it from a producer at a studio we were recording in and I turned it down. Then years later had to sell it for much less than what that guy offered me in the studio.

9. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

a Guild X-150 that I bought new maybe 6 years ago. traded it for an acoustic (which I of course no longer have) man I miss that one

10. SFW

SFW Member

My biggest gear sale regret was my 1974 Les Paul Custom. It was my first guitar, and I so wish I had it back.

11. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

70s Jazzmaster. I forget the exact year, but it was one year after they "officially" stopped making them. Sold it on TGP and I know it changed hands at least two more times since, for more and more money every time I see it! I wouldn't mind having it back, but not for the price y'all seem to think a late 70s JM is worth!

[​IMG]

12. KCWM

KCWM Member

I traded off an MIK Epiphone Les Paul something or another and regretted it. That guitar played and sounded better than either of Gibson Les Pauls I've owned. It was heavy, had this incredible sustain, and was one of the most comfortable playing guitars.

It doesn't help that the guitar I traded it for was garbage, but I still regret getting rid of that guitar.

13. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

My old black on black maple neck 70's strat, but only due to the fact they make silly money now for what was a crap guitar..

Playing wise, my old ovation 1984 collectors series..it had the best neck of any guitar I've ever played.

14. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

An original `72 Fender Thinline Deluxe Tele.

15. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

All my US made Reverends - HUGE mistake.

16. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Lots of them but the one that comes to mind was my 57 LR JR. ouch. Bought it privately
    in 96 for $650. Traded it straight up for a new D35 a year later ($1600 in trade) :bonk :huh

17. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

A few of them, but the one I really wish I still had (espeially considering how cheap I bought & then sold it for) is the below '00 SG/Les Paul Standard RI modded to a stop tail. I even went as far as to recently post threads on various forums asking if anyone here owns it and would sell it back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. snarkle

snarkle Member

I hate these threads. All I'm going to say is that if you've got a particularly nice example of a particularly valuable guitar, hang on to it.

Oh, all right: the details. The guitar was the best Gretsch I've ever played, much less owned: a 1957 6120 with Dynasonics (my favourite Gretsch pickups).

My car was on its last legs, so I sold the Gretsch (along with a ’64 Strat) to fund a new van. A couple of years later the van went away in a divorce settlement.

I did eventually replace the Strat, but almost 25 years later that Gretsch is still a sore spot. I've never found another that sounded as good or played as well...

Ouch!

19. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Still brings tears to my eyes every time I look at it...biggest gear mistake ever.

[​IMG]

20. tholmes

tholmes Member

Mid 80's MIJ hardtail Strat, 2-tone 'burst and 1 piece maple neck. Played and sounded better than any other Strat I have ever handled, before or since.

What was I thinking?

Tom