Not a big Ted Nugent fan at all...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blownirocz, Jan 28, 2012.

1. blownirocz

blownirocz Suppoutin' Memba Since Dem Oud Dayz...

... but I gotta give him some credit for "Stranglehold" (and I'm not referring to the lyrical content -- we all already know the controversy around that).

But obviously the riff, the feel, the rhythm, the vocal melody, all of it. I just heard a recent live recording of it too -- Derek St. Holmes still sounds pretty amazing to me.

2. Brooks

Brooks Member

see my comment in the "40 years ago" BOC thread...

3. BKL71

BKL71 Member

I've always been a Ted Nugent fan. He is one of my earliest influences. Growing up in the Midwest, I was exposed to his music often. I saw him live several years ago and he still hasn't lost anything from his "glory days."

4. Lution

Lution Member

So, he's still jumping from the top of his Fender stacks? Damn! :omg

5. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

6. BKL71

BKL71 Member

He wasn't jumping off his Peavey 5150 amp stacks, but his playing was still spot on. That's all that matters, right?

7. fusion58

fusion58 Member

Ted's music was ubiquitous when I was a teen in the 70s, and I was a big fan of the first two records. Saw Ted opening for Bad Company in '76 - he really destroyed the headliners that night! And even though I disagree with almost everything he stands for, I still find it hard not to like Ted as a human being. I appreciate his humor, bravado, outspokenness and "let the chips fall where they may" style.

8. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I like Ted's music and I've seen him live 4 or 5 times now but the cynic inside of me thinks he only says the **** he does because he knows it gets people to pay attention to him.

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

That, or he knows that it's what people expect of him.

10. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

The one thing I've learned as I've grown older is never mix the politics with the man. There is simply too much genuis and talent out there to ignore simply because of politics or religion. When Ted starts those opening riffs to "Just What the Doctor Ordered," hell, the LAST thing on my mind is who he's voting for.

Glad to see others who separate the two and can enjoy Ted's craft. You can't visit a youtube video of him without the comments turning into a catfight between the left and right.

11. Madsen

Madsen Member

i'm not much of a Nuge fan either but that track came on between sets @ the Kyuss show & sounded great. i had no idea he was capable of that kind of thing.

i had a similar experience with The Who - Eminence Front.

12. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

Big Ted fan here, especially with DSH singing. I attended the show in Detroit last year and Derek was in the band. If they go out on tour together again, and i hope they do, do yourself a favor and go. Derek's voice, imo, has actually gotten better with age. One of the best shows I've been to in quite some time. Bring your earplugs...:aok

13. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

Don't care about Ted the man, none of my concern, but Ted the guitar player, songwriter, rocknroll madman.... love him !! Double Live Gonzo is one of the great live albums.
    I have some recent DVDs & he is still an amazing performer. Love his playing.

14. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Big +1 to everything that's been said & I'll add: he still makes me laugh :aok

15. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Love Ted! He's a great reminder that rock shouldn't take itself too seriously. It's about having fun.

16. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Always kind of wrote him off until recently, but yes, Stranglehold is a beasty song, and Teds stuff in general is awesome. I've been listening to the Amboy Dukes a lot lately as a matter of fact.

17. klatuu

klatuu Member

:agree

and I imagine Ted has had LOTS of fun over the years

18. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I must be out of the loop. What's the "controversy" about the "Stranglehold" lyrics??

19. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Ted is an American bad ass straight up. The dude is drug free, still has his mind and body. How can you not like a man who speaks his mind, plays killer guitar, loves women, and his family. And gives back to the community.

I salute you brother!!!!

20. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

WOW, Derek sounds friggin' GREAT.