Not a big Ted Nugent fan at all...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blownirocz, Jan 28, 2012.

1. reaiken

reaiken Member

The first concert I ever went to was Ted Nugent, when I was a teenager in the 70's. It made a lasting impression - I even played "Cat Scratch Fever" in the high school talent show with my first band, and I used to put a Marshall 4x12 in the window of my dorm first semester in college and serenade everyone with some Ted full volume at 2AM after a night downtown drinking...

A gun-totin', guitar playin', wimmen-lovin', all-american rocker, what's not to like? :)

Randall Aiken

2. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

I <3 uncle ted...... I also love his politics, but that sob can ROCK.

3. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

My first concert as well. (I could swear the girl in front of me was having an orgasm during the Stranglehold solo!) He was my first "guitar hero". I had (and still have it folded away) a 5' x 3' wall poster of the guy.

I saw him some 30 years later a couple of years ago with my son at the very intimate Anaheim House of Blues, and the guy played his ass off for 90 minutes with only a very short break while the rhythm section were showing their stuff.

4. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Me too. Anyone care to share? -- unless it violates TGP rules.

5. Alvis

Alvis Member

If you dont have Tooth Fang & Claw , GET IT
    Back when his agenda was rock n roll !

6. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I liked Ted a lot when I was growing up. I kinda lost interest when he was in that band with Jack Blades. Don't remember the name. He is what he is. His politics kinda turn me off sometimes. He can play his ass off though. Can't take that away from him.

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

This is the Ted I dig ..

8. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

I love a lot of Ted's music, once he opens his mouth and starts talking politics I tune out.

9. mojoalb1

mojoalb1 Member

^^^^^ uh oh lead singer gets more camera time than Teddy. He must think it's his band.
    He probably plays harmonica too. Ha Ha Ha.

10. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Ted's a mother****er on guitar.

11. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Same as Springsteen. Not sure why musicians do this. It can alienate their fanbase.

12. blownirocz

blownirocz Suppoutin' Memba Since Dem Oud Dayz...

Many believed that the lyrics promoted/glamorized the abuse of women. Read the lyrics and you might see how some could make this connection.

13. Custom50

Custom50 Member

ted is nuttier than an o henry bar but the man is a great guitar player and always has been.

14. cdntac

cdntac Member

He's actually quite a nice guy. He'll do more charity work for kids, cops, military members, etc in a week then most of us will do in an entire lifetime.

He's blunt and honest and won't hold back if you ask his opinion. ;)

How many anti-drug, anti-alcohol rock stars do you hear about?

And how many guitarists have their own line of ammo (coming out soon)? ;)

[​IMG]

15. V-Type

V-Type Member

Take out Ted the character,politician,hunter,etc.. and solely go by Ted the writer,musician,frontman and you have the total R&R package other than vocals.
    He and Derek are a Great duo and Derek's voice gives those old Ted songs half their life.
    What the Doctor Ordered,Snakeskin Cowboys,etc.....

16. sutoman

sutoman Member

I don't think he is in the RnR Hall Of Fame is he? What a joke.

17. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

Agree or disagree with his position on many issues, his genius goes far beyond playing guitar. He is relentless in everything he pursues and I truly believe he is sincere. I know one thing, I would never want to debate him, he stands behind his convictions better than anyone I've ever seen.

18. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've always been a big fan of his playing, great tone too.

19. rspencer

rspencer Member

I agree. And when you see him discussing politics with someone, it seems many are surprised that he is intelligent & can give his reasons for his beliefs. He can be a bit over-the-top, but he always has been. Musically as well as politically. He likes to take the less serious road. His "Wang-Dang" doesn't lead to "Doodle." :)

The guy is an awesome player in my book. Master of feedback manipulation. Writes killer riffs. I love his lead phrasing. Lots of Ted leads I can't imagine anyone else playing; the phrasing & note choice are so "him."

Funny, I don't know if I've ever listed him in my top 5 for any polls/lists, but thinking about it, he's definitely been an influence. Feedback grew to be part of "my" sound, and in a big part because of him. "Cat Scratch Fever" was one of the first songs I learned. And "Great White Buffalo" was my holy grail song for a while, the one I was determined to learn & play well.

If you've never seen him live, do it. It's hard to not have fun at a Ted show.

20. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I've never been a big fan of his either, particularly since he went on his political extremist bizarre rants, but he did have a few good songs, and "Stranglehold" is one of them. The nice thing about his stuff is that it is very easy to play, and popular in clubs.