Not a big Ted Nugent fan at all...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blownirocz, Jan 28, 2012.

1. fusion58

fusion58 Member

That's one of the things I appreciate about Ted as we both have that in common. :aok

2. NashSG

NashSG Member

Ted Nugent's guitar playing is definitely in the bed rock of what became heavy metal and even punk rock, the latter maybe more than people realize especially considering the persona and his latter political advocacy. Nugent played hard, heavy and fast when that was kind of a new thing. These things are pretty impressive.

Journey Into the Center of the Mind
    Great White Buffalo
    Baby Please Don't Go
    Cat Scratch Fever
    Stranglehold
    Double Live Gonzo

I think while Nugent could still play (and still can), he kind of blew it with his ego and blowing up the St. Holmes band and I haven't really liked much else he ever did.

Outside of that, I think he is a total nut.

3. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

[​IMG]

4. flyroper

flyroper Supporting Member

I'm a fan of Ted's music. But I have a real hard time getting past his political views. Just seems to me that if you poop your pants to get out of going to war when you're a young man, maybe you shouldn't turn into a gun toting war cheerleader when you're an old man?

5. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

Henry is one dude I can actually stand listening to when he's talking and when he's singing. Uncle Ted, not so much.

6. BrianK

BrianK Silver Supporting Member

I dont like anything he did after Double Live Gonzo. The other day in my record store someone brought in a buch of classic rock live albums. DLG , Judas Priest Unleashed in the East,UFO Stangers in the Night, KISS Alive, Foghat Live. I deceided to give them all a spin and relive my high school days. I was surprised to find that DLG sounded the best to my ears. Its the one that for me held up the most. The guitar playing and tone are outrageous. If you havent listend to that album in a while do yourself a favor and check it out.

7. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I agree. Ted pissing and pooping his pants, or whatever unhygienic steps he took, to dodge Vietnam makes his "gung-ho" mantra feel inauthentic and a bit embarrassing to say the least.

He still plays a mean guitar though. Can't deny that.

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

damn Uncle Ted can still rip it up. Derek sounded awesome too, I think his voice sounds better now than on the original album cut.

9. Lance

Lance Member

I will definitely admit to being a 10 year old with a tennis racket in my hands jumping up and down on the bed doing the Wango Tango, sure. Very ballsy rocker that Ted is!

10. cdntac

cdntac Member

Do you know how many times he's stated that he made that up to mess with the reporter?

11. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Same. I agree with a lot of the stuff Hank says. Maybe not everything but he's a smart guy who's well-read and incredibly well-traveled so at the least I respect anything that he says. Plus he was in Black Flag and, with respect to Ted, I'll take Black Flag over any Nugent record any day.

12. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I got a kick out of watching this interview. Cool show too.

13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I always thought he was at least reasonably intelligent as far as his music goes and especially in his ability to manufacture and market an image, he most certainly hit a home run with that. The whole "madman" image is pure clever.
    It is when he opens his mouth and starts talking that I question his intelligence and sanity.

It is very admirable that he is monogamous and doesn't try to play up some perverted lifestyle or super pothead image or all the other crap that use to be popular for musicians to do (and still seems to be). That is indeed a breath of fresh air in the contrived world of "rock superstardom theater".

14. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

There was a period when Ted sort of fell back into the woodwork but as it turned out, he was in the woodshed. This is a great album, some of his best guitar work and Brian Howe is fantastic.

15. meone

meone Member

Ted rocks ! Great showman .

16. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

If I stopped listening to artists with whom I don't agree politically, I'd have about three albums in my play list.

17. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I saw him open for Bad Co in '96 and he tore it up!

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I can't believe anyone took it any other way. What a gag.

19. spudco

spudco Member

Does anybody know who played bass on "Center of the Mind"? That is amazing!

20. soulloud

soulloud Member

I think Ted is great. I don't listen to him much anymore but he still rocks and makes me laugh. Agree with him or not the man loves his country.....and I should stop there. Haha