Not a big Ted Nugent fan at all...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by blownirocz, Jan 28, 2012.

1. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

Greg Arama played that, IIRC.

2. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

Well, whether he was trying to mess with somebody or now revising his own history to align with his current gung-ho persona, he got himself out of going to Vietnam by some deliberate means. Perhaps someone can enlighten us with what he really did to dodge the draft?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Markfx

Markfx Member

That entire DVD simply rocks. Uncle Ted plays a variety of styles and I can look past his politics and enjoy the music.

4. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

Ted was a college student during the draft and was classified 2-S (Student).
    He was never drafted and that story he made up was simply his off-beat humor.

5. Trea

Trea Member

Man I wore my cassette of Penetrator out in high school. I always liked Ted, and his persona is to me no different than Toby Keith, Gene Simmons or Marilyn Manson. A persona designed to sell tickets.

6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Someone said he got out of going to veitnam by taking a crap in his pants making him look like he's insane.

7. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

No disrespect, but your comment suggests you don't know much about Ted Nugent.

8. progfan2

progfan2 Member

excerpt from News Hound................

It's well known that Nugent claims to have gone to great lengths to flunk his Draft Board physical. What's not so well-known is that he got a student deferment at the same time he was touring with his rock band, putting in an average of 300 shows a year. How was he going to school and touring that much at the same time?

But that hasn’t stopped Nugent from insisting that if he HAD served, he would have been one big mofo soldier. As the Rutland Herald reported, Here's what Nugent said he would have done if he went to Vietnam:
    "… if I would have gone over there, I'd have been killed, or I'd have killed, or I'd kill all the hippies in the foxholes … I would have killed everybody," he told the Detroit Free Press in an interview published July 15, 1990."​
    The Herald also noted that Nugent’s efforts to avoid the draft make President Bush look like a war hero.
    (Nugent claims) that 30 days before his Draft Board Physical, he stopped all forms of personal hygiene. The last 10 days he ingested nothing but junk food and Pepsi, and a week before his physical, he stopped using the bathroom altogether, virtually living inside his pants caked with excrement and urine. That spectacle won Nugent a deferment.​

9. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

None taken. By your comment, this must mean that you feel you do know much about him. By knowing him well, do you feel his created persona is all just a big act? If it is, and the ignorant, misogynistic, bigoted, racist things he says is all for "show", then that's fine, everyone is entitled, but keep in mind that many people admire Ted for the things he says and feel it resonates with them.

I give him mega respect for playing a mean guitar and having a generally insane guitar-playing rock and roll attitude on stage. I cannot give him much respect for the things he says because I don't agree with much of it and can't honestly discern when/if he's being him self or being Uncle Ted.

Ted could take to heart the sound advice of FZ. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. LoneWoof

LoneWoof Member

11. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

So the Motor City Madman Talks the Talk but doesnt really Walk the Walk...no surprise there...often the ones with the biggest mouths are the biggest hypocrates (bad spell)

That said I live his playing...definitely a great guitar player imo...I just cant stomach his opinions, even the ones I agree with!

13. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

not really a ted/classic rock ran, but that is a killer sounding live video!

PS: killer vocals on that as well!! who is it?

14. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I did my 4 years in the service during Vietnam. There were plenty of ways to serve without getting into the war. I was Coast Guard. Like Nugent's music. Just don't care to listen to him run his mouth about what a bad ass he is.

15. rspencer

rspencer Member

Probably the same way Jim Morrison got a student deferment while wandering Venice Beach. Register for classes. Either quit attending or never attend classes. Repeat as necessary.

16. BigDar

BigDar Member

Agreed, He was a HUGE influence on my playing when i was just starting out and is still a great player but his act is growing old.....and for criminy sakes you'd think a guy with his success would be able to afford proper fitting dentures......

17. GFR4LYF

GFR4LYF Member

And he no longer wears a loin cloth, thank God!:rotflmao

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I really don't think it is for show. He has been incredibly consistent in his opinion for his entire career. I think he believes every single word he spouts and spews ;)

19. Electric Storm

Electric Storm Member

Never been a big fan of his music or anything related to him, though as a 5150/6505 user I find it odd he uses them. He isn't a metalhead AFAIK:tapedshut

20. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

I agree, he's very consistent and it comes from his heart. He is so spontaneous, his convictions roll off his tongue without a moment of thought.
    Many times he's bizarre, but is an advocate for what he believes in. Agree or not, his enthusiasm is second to none for all that he does.