Not a big Ted Nugent fan at all...

GFR4LYF

Well, for me its always been his music period. And he's the biggest "self' promoter I've ever seen. As for his politics and his way of life, I just don't pay that much attention to it.

chucke99

Stranglehold is the only song I like by Ted Nugent, but I LOVE the song. To me, it's so atypical of Ted that, if you didn't already know that Ted wrote it/performed it, and you heard it on the radio, you'd never ascribe it to Ted. Or anyone else, for that matter. It's like it stands alone in its own little genre of Rock and Roll.

Seraphine

Never been a big fan of his music or anything related to him, though as a 5150/6505 user I find it odd he uses them. He isn't a metalhead AFAIK:tapedshut
I can understand, somewhat, your questioning this... But Ted has been known from the beginning for not using effects and just plugs into an amp and turns it up, pumps it out... 5150 etc makes sense in this light eh?

GFR4LYF

Just saw that Ted Nugent "Behind The Music" Remastered, is going to be on VH1 Classic at 7:00 p.m. CST tonight.

Joe Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
I really like the 'Nuge's tone. My favorite tune of his is "Live it Up".

Kind of Bo-Diddley/Santana kind of deal with Ted's spin on it.

I think 80% of Ted's riffs can be found either on the Beano album or The White Album - for example there is a little incidental riff at the end of "Me and My Monkey" that Ted turned into "Free For All"

Seraphine

No doubt about that. That is what makes it unfortunate....
I lived in Michigan for years and I didn't personally know Ted but had friends who do and he is pretty much what you see is what you get.. Meaning he's real... I still have the feeling he's a reincarnated Native American with an Axe.

buddyboy

Gold Supporting Member
Nugent's a blowhard, but so are 90% of the rock and rollers from the last 50 years! Who cares? I don't get my politics from guys that play rock and roll.

No denying the righteousness of this number, complete with a screaming Byrdland:

Here's a great live boot of the same tune from the early 70's:

GFR4LYF

And don't forget the classic "Journey To The Center Of Your Mind" when he was still with the Amboy Dukes.

vortexxxx

Supporting Member
Nugent's a blowhard, but so are 90% of the rock and rollers from the last 50 years! Who cares? I don't get my politics from guys that play rock and roll.

No denying the righteousness of this number, complete with a screaming Byrdland:

Here's a great live boot of the same tune from the early 70's:

I know the guy who taped that concert. The full recording has an interview with Ted at the end. A guy that was with him at the time was thrown through a window by the bouncers who though he was trying to steal something (maybe he was).

I just listened to a few secs of that and my copy is a few generations better than the youtube clip.

Scottone

Wow that clip brings make memories of listening to good ol' WRIF out of Detroit back in the day. As mentioned earlier, Derek is still sounding great too.

Cymbaline

I've always been a Ted Nugent fan. He is one of my earliest influences. Growing up in the Midwest, I was exposed to his music often. I saw him live several years ago and he still hasn't lost anything from his "glory days."
Same here. So many awesome riffs on his early stuff. Stranglehold, Stormtroopin', Just What The Doctor Ordered, Wang Dang Sweet Poontang, etc, etc, the list goes on and on. Almost any song of his is great to just pick up a guitar and bash on, they're so memorable.

fjblair

Silver Supporting Member
Stranglehold is the only song I like by Ted Nugent, but I LOVE the song. To me, it's so atypical of Ted that, if you didn't already know that Ted wrote it/performed it, and you heard it on the radio, you'd never ascribe it to Ted. Or anyone else, for that matter. It's like it stands alone in its own little genre of Rock and Roll.

Wow. Atypical?

You need to listen to more of his music. Stranglehold isn't atypical at all. Stranglehold in facts defines Ted Nugent and his style.

Last edited:

GFR4LYF

The ONLY song you like?!? what about Motor City Madhouse, Queen Of The Forest, and Cat Scratch Fever, and last but not least, Wan Dang, Sweet Poontang? Well to each his own.:omg

Rockledge

I always thought it sounded a lot like something Joe Walsh would have written for his Barnstorm era stuff.

Lution

I really don't think it is for show. He has been incredibly consistent in his opinion for his entire career. I think he believes every single word he spouts and spews ;)
That's even more disturbing than it being all an act.

Kurt L

Anybody with a song called "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" can't be all bad!

I don't agree with everything he says but I think I'd enjoy sitting down and drinking a beer with him.

Trending Topics