• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Not a fan of SSS Stratocasters?

megawzrd

A baseplate on the bridge pickup, a master tone, and a blender pot solves most of those problems. A .15 tone cap brings up the low end---much bigger sounding.

Came to offer this suggestion as well. While I can appreciate a bridge single coil tone I prefer the change a base plate offers. It pushes the pup into more of a 'tele-thicker in the mids' sound. Also having the bridge be a little hotter wound can help if you are more tuned into the hotter humbucker signal and compression.

There is a bit of a sacrifice to the twangy quack of the 2nd position but is well worth it overall.

Last edited:

moehuh

I grew up with Super Stratocasters (HSS) that I absolutely love. And, I have owned 2 SSS Stratocaster (Suhr and Fender) that I can’t seem to bond with? I sold the Suhr and have a Fender Ultra with Fralin pick ups in it. Still, just blah?

Thinking of selling the Fender Ultra, it’s a bit strange as many great guitar players utilize the SSS Stratocaster that I love. Not Sure why it’s not for me, just sounds weird to my ears. Anyone else feel that way?
SSS and vintage-style pickups (as your Fralins are) work best on vintage correct Strats. Modern Strats sound better with hotter pickups IMO.

Had Fralin VHs in my Am. Deluxe Strat (previous model of the Ultra) and it was my main guitar for years. The base plate on the bridge helps with more mids, but I feel the pickups finally reached their potential in another Strat, which is '59 correct. I get all these classic Strat sounds and the bridge still thin but with some bite (which is a very classic Strat tone too for me). The Deluxe now has two PAF-style humbuckers and it sounds better than ever. Very happy with the results.

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
Try a Duncan Twang Banger in the bridge position of your SSS Strat before you give up on that format. And bring it up closer to the strings, while keeping the other two PU's low like they should be.
Game changer.

Brad2

Well it depends what amplifier you use with it. But with a lot of amplifiers it sounds pretty tinny. A humbucker at the bridge will improve things.

jvin248

I didn't get along with HSS, missed some tones plus I have several HH guitars so it was redundant. Switched to SSS and that's the only way I'll play Strats now.

I install the Armstrong Blender so I can go from SSS to HSH series if I need some thickening of the tone, which also provides a master tone control. A wiring only change so it's cheap and easy to give yourself a stealth Les Paul / Super Strat. I keep all the classic SSS Strat tones.

LR1400

Im With the OP. At least i prefer HB in bridge but SSS is ok for some things, even high gain at times.

ghostrider

If I could have only one guitar config, it would be HSS because of its versatility.

BUT!

Fuzz Face + bridge single = awesome!

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve never played a HSS strat that I liked. So many good tones with the middle/ bridge combo of the SSS imo.For my bridge humbucker needs it’s SG, 335 or LP all day long.

rauchman

A baseplate on the bridge pickup, a master tone, and a blender pot solves most of those problems. A .15 tone cap brings up the low end---much bigger sounding.
Very very interesting. By chance, could you show an example of adding a baseplate? And the .15 tone cap, would this allow more unrestricted pickup sound to come through?

Related to the post, I have a mid 90's MIM Strat with a Lace Sensor loaded pickguard taken from a Strat Deluxe from the early 90's. I have zero problem with this sound. I've done a recording for one of my tunes using the bridge pup through an overdriven amp, and it has a snarly tone that just works for that song.

I built a Warmoth Tele last year on a whim. Never ever had any interest in a Tele, but I've become quite the fan. I'be curious to see a Strat pup somewhere a little closer to the Tele bridge pup, or at the very least, a Strat pup with more zing. While the Strat pups are very clear, I'd like a little more meat to the tone.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried them with all types of pickup combos, came back to SSS recently.
As others said, tough to get a good balance between the singles and humbucker. I also found it hard to get that "quack" from the bridge/middle combo with a hummer in the bridge, even if it split.

Only combo I would like to try is a Tele bridge pickup on a Strat...

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
I love SSS! Have had more issues getting HSS to work for me really. I can't stand a huge difference in output between bridge and neck, so HSS easily gets unbalanced.

markmann

To me HSS is a compromise. Yes they are versatile but if I want great HB tone I get it from a traditional HB guitar. My Strat's are SSS because there is no substitute for the bridge and bridge/middle positions. Also, if you have your amp tone and pedals optimized for SSS the bridge tone can be fat and cut like a knife in a mix. I feel bad for those who are missing that.

Theoffsetnerd

I grew up with Super Stratocasters (HSS) that I absolutely love. And, I have owned 2 SSS Stratocaster (Suhr and Fender) that I can’t seem to bond with? I sold the Suhr and have a Fender Ultra with Fralin pick ups in it. Still, just blah?

Thinking of selling the Fender Ultra, it’s a bit strange as many great guitar players utilize the SSS Stratocaster that I love. Not Sure why it’s not for me, just sounds weird to my ears. Anyone else feel that way?
I definitely agree, I had an SSS but now its an HSS because I hardly ever touched the bridge pickup. Now its just a really great all around guitar! I think its just a sound that people either love or just don't really care for. My issue was having to switch my amp settings to get it sounding how I wanted.

skullfunkerry

Definitely a humbucker in the bridge for me, doesn't need a coil tap or anything. My main guitar at the moment is HSS, but I could easily live entirely without single coils - and have done before this guitar actually, for many years

Overdriver18

I like SSS more than HSS personally. I'd be open to trying out some single-coil sized humbuckers or mini humbuckers though in the future, but full sized humbuckers don't have the sound I'm going for right now.

Trending Topics