not a single day goes by without me wanting to buy a Komet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by big hair, Dec 17, 2005.

1. big hair

big hair Member

I have the cash there but it is earmarked for something else.....

I can't decide on the 60 or Constellation - although the prospect of a Connie on a 4x12 with prerola GBs is absolutely tantalising.

Maybe my credit card is just going to have to help me out:D

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

3. big hair

big hair Member

the 50 watter??

4. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

aka "Blinky's Revenge" so I hear.

5. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

I also have an interest in the Connie.
    What are you referring to by the
    " new model"? I have a amp deal pending on the emporium, but haven't heard back from him yet. If the deal falls through, I may be interested in the KoCo.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have two Connies, they sound killer through old Marshall cabs, that's what Hogy recommends and I agree. Not too loud either whereas the K60 needed attenuation for most clubs. I have run them in stereo which smokes, although it is too much for most places.

7. big hair

big hair Member

YOU HAVE TWO?!?!?:eek: :eek:

You know what, I think I might just have to do something soon. I'd love to hear it cranked playing some old Rainbow/Deep Purple/ACDC type rock.

8. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

9. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

For what its worth:
    I own a Connie and a KF50 LTD, I took it to a fellow gearpagers place who also owns a KF50 LTD, Connie, and a K60. --rare to see 2 KF50 LTDs in one room I suppose-- I thought the KF50 was closer to the K60 in sound than the Connie. All three are great amps and you cant go wrong with any of them. I thought the Connie had the most gain of the three amps though...very rowdy amp. The KF50 sounded like a cross between the K60 and a really good Plexi to me.

10. poutserman

poutserman Member

I was gassing for a K60 for almost 5 years before i was able to get one,so i know how you must feel.However i was dead set on the K60.Nothing like EL34s for a rock and roll animal.

11. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

They are a little too bright and not enough bottom, from what I gather from the clips on the site.

12. poutserman

poutserman Member

It seems to me that a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that the guitar belongs in the high frequency of the sonic spectrum.A great guitar amp has to deliver the goods in that range.With huge bottom ends you may be ok in your bedroom by yourself but when you play in a band,well good luck.Jeff Beck plays his Marshalls with the treble maxed and the bass and middle controls completely off.I think he does ok in the tone department.I have the treble on my K60 at 3 o'clock and i still have plenty of bottom,both with a strat and a les paul.The guitar has tone controls for a reason.

13. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I can't agree more with above. Many amps that have tons of low end sound OK alone in you room but when put to work in a live band setting they practically disappear in the mix. A guitar amp has to have plenty of mid, high-mid and treble to work well in a full mix. Having said that, I have owned both a Constellation and Komet 60 and at no time did I EVER think they were too bright and or lacking of bottom. Both amps sounded stellar alone and jaw dropping in a live mix. Making any "real" judgments on what an amp is capable of from clips alone is a grave mistake. FWIW, if I had only had the Komet clips to go on I probably wouldn't have bougth either amp. I was pleasantly surprised by both amps when I played them in person. Both well exceded what I had expected after listening to the clips.

14. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have to agree with Fretmasters comments.
    In my opinion the only way you can form an informed opinion about the tone of an amp is to play it live.
    Some clips can be processed to make a terrible amp sound great, and other clips can make a great amp sound average.
    I never post an opinion on any amp unless I have played it.

But like BrewBeck.. What do I know... :)

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Though I agree with your 1st part of your post, the part about playing ANY Marshall with Treble on 10 and bass and mids completely off, just doesn't work!!! Do you own any Marshalls? IF so try it, and stand away from your amp as it will sound like COMPLETE CRAP.. I have a bunch of Marshalls and believe me you don't want to do that.. It would sort of sound like sheet metal being cut by a jig saw in your ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF BECK is using his amps like that now (whatever Marshall he's using!) They'd have to be modded as NO Marshall I've owned would sound anywhere near good with that setting.. Just a headsup!!! ERIC

16. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

The Komet 60 is one of the best amps I have ever played. I love mine. It like to be opened up to breathe but is ok attenuated (a bit). Opened up through a quad of G12ms (basketweave cloth), its really fun. Especially with a Les Paul or my Chapin Slow Burn Hawk. Whew!

17. big hair

big hair Member

I feel like I am leaning towards the Connie, just the simplicity of the amp appeals to me - turn it on, turn it up and play :)

I am assuming that it has plenty of gain for typical rock music?? Would the gain be comparably to a plexi?

18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While soundclips can't express the feel of an amp, the first time I heard the K60 clips I could detect something very special in the amp, even through computer speakers. Setting tone aside, the way the amp was working with the player in the clips was very apparent to me. And, even though I don't have Alex's talent, the K60 still has the ability to melt me into my rig better than any amp I've played to date. At the gig, I normally run my bass control at around 1-2 o'clock which is adequate bass for my Strats....so I can't imagine needing anymore bass.

The Connie is a faster amp and IMO, lacking tone controls, the speaker cab selection becomes more important.

Neither amp is "better", just different flavors Kometone.

19. hogy

hogy Member

The Constellation has much more gain than a Plexi.

Hogy

20. poutserman

poutserman Member

My gear Eric b.yes i have owned a few Marshalls.I currently have a I969 100 watt Super Tremolo.I personally don't run it as unconventionaly as Beck,but i have tried it just to see what it would sound like.The secret to it,is constant manipulation of THE TONE CONTROLS.Remember those?They are not on the guitar for decorative purposes.It does not sound like sheets of metal if you have the tone controls at 3.It's a lot of work but it seems to work for him and he's been running every Marshall he ever played like that.Hear me now,and believe me later.