not a super-strat - a 335-strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Sep 1, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

I'm on the search for something that might not exist - but maybe there's something close...

For a lot of my uses, a good 335 pretty much has a fantastic tonal utility for me. It's got super-nice cleans, very ringing and pure. It's soft and sweet and singing on the neck, and nice and cutting and a little twangy on the bridge. I can fingerpick clean with it in the middle position and get everything from soft singing sounds to nasal sounds to twang. I like it for being something that can be crystal clear, yet have a big enough sound to sound good solo, but can support pretty sustain-y, grind-y, gain-y stuff too. I like it for having a medium tonal range - not strat, not LP, but in between.

But my very favorite shape is a strat shape. It hangs great, it feels great, the scale feels right, I can wear it forever, and I use the trem like hell.

Is there something out there that's some sort of compromise, or some way I can tweak something out there to be something that's like that rich, nice clean-sounding 335?

I'm not looking to "nail 335 tones exactly" - I have a 335 for that. I'm just looking for something in that region - voiced right in the middle, big and clear enough for solo stuff, with some bite on the bridge. And the super-strats I've tried out in the store all seem voiced for the kind of snotty high scream of metal. Even in their core.

And I really don't care if it can never sound like a strat - I have a strat. It's a really nice one. And it doesn't have to look exactly like a strat - just have the hang and ergonomics of one.

Ideally: it would be HSH, it would have a Strat-style trem (not a Bigsby). And be strat-shaped, though a contonured Tele might work too.

Price range: under a thou used, though I can put off and save for a long time.

So far I've thought about: something Ernie Ball, a G&L Comanche. Maybe upgrading one of those mahogany strat-shaped Schecters?

Right now I'm using most a Tele and a Reverend Wolfman. They're both great guitars, but every time I put on my strat I sigh and go, "Ah, contour."

Suggestions?

-thi

2. tjs

tjs Senior Member

3. rorschah

rorschah Member

I just went and played my Rev again for awhile - and it's awesome sounding, it's in that tonal range, but it has the same problem as my beloved Tele's for me - where my forearm makes contact with the edge of the guitar body. I had a car accident awhile ago - guy came into my lane and hit me head-on on a mountain highway, going pretty fast, and I was holding the steering wheel - and that part of my wrist/forearm took the brunt of my force. I had to stop playing piano for a long time back then. Managed it with yoga, and it's mostly fine now, but whenever I play for a while with most of my guitars, that spot keeps pushing on that edge and I can really feel it after a while.

Except for the strat. The strat I can play *forever*.

4. rorschah

rorschah Member

I've looked at that Schecter before - but it doesn't have the trem. The trem is *vital* for me.

-thi

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

How about one of these:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.languedocguitars.com

Sooo Pretty...........................But seriously

Ibanez has a hollowbody in thier artcore line that has a strat shape:

[​IMG]

You can even get a Tremolo:

[​IMG]

Just some more suggestions.............

P.S. what about a hollow strat body from Warmoth?

6. rorschah

rorschah Member

Neat stuff.

It doesn't have to be hollow, it just have to have a certain clarity. 335's and some LP Customs have that clarity, most LP standards and, say, SG's don't. LP's are a little too... muddy, SG's a little too... woolly.

I may be using the wrong words, but the difference is plain to me - some guitars seem to me like I'd only want to use them gainy and burning, and some guitars seem to me to sound big and clear enough for solo fingerpicking stuff - and yet are still good for high-gain.

-thi

7. Roe

Roe Member

go with a hollow warmoth strat. but be very careful when you pick wood types and scale lenght

8. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

Forum member Vinetto Guitars makes Tele's with Mini-humbuckers. http://www.vinettoguitars.com/index_files/legatotc.htm It doesn't look like they are making a Strat style yet.

With a little routing, you could install something similar in a Strat. Stock pups might work, or Jason Lollar makes these, could probably make you a custom set that would give you the sound you want. Eventually you could get a Korina or mahogany body and neck which should warm things up even more.

Alternately, some underwound humbuckers dropped into one of the Strat shaped semi-hollows shown above should work fine too.

Dan

9. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I think you should look very closely at the Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette. HSH with trem, not too expensive, very expressive, clear, ringing voice, and the 24 fret neck means the neck pickup never devolves to mud... Super light and comfortable, and the newer ones (last five years or so)have Dimarzio Virtual PAFs in the bridge and neck positions, which are just fantastic pickups imho... If you buy one used, it will hold it's value, so if you don't like it you won't lose anything, but I'd be willing to bet that if you bring it into your stable you'll keep it...

my 2ยข

10. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 on the hollow Warmoth Strat. I love mine.

11. rorschah

rorschah Member

Hmmm... silhouette and warmoth seem tempting.

When you guys say - be careful about the wood on the warmoth - what do you mean?

Also - I was looking at their contourable tele bodies. Anybody ever done strat comfort contours on a tele body?

-thi

12. Supasso

Supasso Member

How about a HSH Strat?

13. rorschah

rorschah Member

What kind of HSH start would be pushed towards the mid-range, piano-ish tones?

Straight one?

Mahogany?

Mahogany and maple?

With tone chambers?

Semihollow?

-thi

14. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

My Warmoth hollow Strat is mahogany with a maple top. It has a solid rosewood neck as well, but I wouldn't recommend that choice as it's a shade dark sounding for me. TV Jones Filtertrons and a Bigsby too. Very nice construction and finish work from Warmoth. It's my favorite guitar, even over my Anderson which is not exactly a slouch.