1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Not anoher Dumble Post: Ceriatone OTS vs. Sebago Double Trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fusion Player, May 23, 2011.

1. Fusion Player

Fusion Player Member

I am an inch away from purchasing the 100 Watt Ceriatone or this new Sebago Double Trouble "D" clone amp probably know one has heard of yet

http://www.sebagosound.com

So my problem is that I am torn between purchasing the Ceriatone and a new D clone called the Sebago Double Trouble. I am just past ready to buy and was seriously going to purchase the Sebago but he is so new and there are so little clips (basically nothing except what he has on his site which I'm told doesn't do it justice but are very nice) ..Someone here purchased a Sebago on youtube thoough but he didn't do enough in the youtube clips to sway me nor were there any real leads played (no offense, it just didn't help me but I appreciated your time).

Thing is the more I listen to the vast array of straight up playing Ceriatone OTS clips (i like it warmer than the HRM) the more I say geeze is this Sebago Double Trouble going to sound like that nice clean but violin sustained overdrive that all these amps are modeled from out of the box? I have some good amps, it is just I really think this tone is perfect for what I do and these two amps fit the budget.

I've actually played Fuchs. My friend had one and he is friends with the infamous Scott L on here (yeah I'm a jersey guy). Me and my friend were getting into boutique amps and I bought the Bogner Shiva and he got the Fuchs (good for him!). The Fuchs had something different than the Dumble sound but it was similar but the clean was terrible. The Bogner had an amazing vintage Fender clean Tone but the OD is all Marshall plexi open sounding. Both are great amps but not comparable although we both liked the Fuchs. We ran them using the same THD cab I bought. Bottom line the amps are complete different ends of the spectrum and although I think the Fuchs OD was cooler for my style. I should have bought a used one when I could!

So really I'm looking at the 13-1600 max price range. I just like that clean od "D" tone of The overdrive Surpreme like you hear in youtube of the swedish player jamming to a background of basic stringed instruments tuning up...I think its the only real Dumble Overdrive Supreme on you tube that is any good. So I think you guys know the sound I'm looking for? Sure I like Robben Ford but I still think my favorite stuff is done by Scott Henderson/his older Jazzy stuff from the THICK album not as much the bluesy but hell I like the blues too. I have my own sound and this clean od should be perfect fit and expose any flaws as any good amp should do.

Sebago Pros: American made, Owner will customize it (correctly) to work well with my stock neck pickup on my old srats that I prety much only play now and I hardly change from the stock neck pickup of my 62 ri he said he would use his 62 (probably no an early 80s bu cloe enough) and make sure it doesn't get muddied up so he is going to customize it a bit for me which is something no one has ever done for me. IT is Priced almost as well (if you get the 50 watt) and the sound clips on his site sound just like what I'm looking for except the problem they are all studio mixes. How can I be certain? I guess the one thing I liked with him is he said he would put a 30 day guarantee on it. So all I'd loose is my time (which too much has been wasted of already) and my shipping up and back. www.sebagosounds.com

Sebago Con: Only one good clip and it belongs to them. I do happen to believe however that any decent boutique or otherwise hand wired amp with clarity will expose and make an average or below player sound worse which is a good thing and again not to insult the guy here that posted the clips on his, they really didn't help. So I don't have a lot to go on other than he compared it with an owner of glasswerks and they both agreed it to be superior to glasswerks on the od side...but he is he owner so of course he will say that. Real nice and helpful guy so he does make me want to buy just to see if he is right but I will be real upset if i wasn't what it is claimed to be.

Ceriatone OTS Pros: A lot of good clips on youtube that sounds exactly what I want even the ones playing single coil strats got that cream harmonic sustain. Just go to you tube and there are plenty of good clips by actual owners and not the company.

Ceriatone Con:
    I hear the wait time is going to be many months..which is why I'd buy a zen or ethos pedal on ebay to get me by. It is possible I am just hearing better miced youtube clips as unless you have played either there is no way to tell at all and I haven't. I suppose it is possible that the parts are not as good as Sebago and the amp actually sounds like the clips on his site even though they re professionally recorded in which case the Sebago would give it a run for the money..But I don't know for sure!

So Fuchs is out (don't know what I'm getting anymore anyway), the glasswerks is out (although I wouldn't turn that away if I had the cash for tha) and so is Two Rock. All mainly because I can't spend that kind of money right now and although I could sell some equipment to compensate the difference I really just don't want to spend 4-5k when it really seems I can do as well or better for half that price between one of these two or at least i seems.

I guess does anyone have any decent Sebago Double Trouble experience or better any clips without effects OR is the consensus to just order and wait for the Ceriatone?
    Or shall I play the beta tester here since he's offering my money back if I don't like it (except shipping), get it and if I like it, blast clips over the gear page and youtube! lol.

FYI my choice is Sebago 50 watt Double Trouble for 1600. (not enough clips) vs. a 100 Watt Ceriatone OTS (out of country but lots of good clips and dare I say the clips are better than the Fuchs, glasswerks, Two Rock etc. clips I've heard on youtube). I really think they got real close if not nailed it tone wise and wow the price is insanely inexpensive for what they are giving. Actually I think its 1300 with shipping.

I'm done with research as I've over researched my self... So any advice or input from these two amps would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Living in the Bay Area, I frequent Gelb, one of Sebago's two dealers, and I have played the Sebago and heard others play them. They sound great and are tough to beat if that sound is your thing. The price is the icing on the cake. Really solid sounding amps that would be hard to go wrong with.

Funny thing is I was considering one but ended up with a Shiva 20th instead. Total opposite of you. The hot rodded Marshall is more my thing. It's great to have so many wonderful amp builders.

3. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Never tried the Sebago but I am pretty sure they sound good. However, legions of people stand by their Ceriatone OTS - I am one of them.

4. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

Call Jon at Mill Creek Audio... he is a Authorized service represenitive for Ceriatone he will order whatever Amp you want put american Trannys in it and tweak it for you any way you like for a VERY good price. From order to building the amp he quoted me about a month.

5. crosse79

crosse79 Member

BTW, Ceriatone's timeline is not that long anymore on the OTS if I can remember, send Nik an email.... expect an answer within minutes to 24 hours. That guy never sleeps!

6. scottl

scottl Member

LOL... I am infamous!

EDIT: Spoke to OP who is coming by to try all the circuit variations.....

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Good Call! Have fun!!

8. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I think I got called an "Average Player that sounds worse through the Double Trouble".. What'll I tell my folks? Or my Band?? No offense taken....In case you were wondering.

FTR-I share Scott's sentiments on Nik..

Good luck on your search.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Best advice is to play the amps. It doesn't matter whether I have actual Ceriatones or Sebagos here. I do have about 6 variations of Dumble circuits. All except the 70s.....

This way the OP can see which circuit he likes and then get the Ceriatone or Sebago version....

10. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

No 70's holy grail?....bwahahahaaa... ;O)

11. scottl

scottl Member

I played a few and they just weren't for me.

Sure sound great when Ted or Lance played them though!!!

12. johan

johan Member

Isn't Sebago made of Ceriatone parts?
    EDIT - Sorry, mixed them with another "D-brand"
    Come back to us when you've tried the different D's at Scotts place.
    I love the Ojai myself

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  13. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

I'm just busting your chops Scott. ;O)

14. scottl

scottl Member

You like that I bet. :eeks

Btw, paypaled for the fuzz! Looks sweet.

15. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

I really want a nice 70s style ODS...bad! Anyway, am sure the OP wasn't talking about your clip Ted, it is the best one on his site...by far!

16. wjdunham

wjdunham Member

Most definitely NOT made of Ceriatone parts!
    I'm now going to have to follow through on my threat to send Scott one, won't be a 70's circuit though...
    Bill

17. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

It's all good. Seriously though- I often say that picking a favorite for the D builders is like picking pepper out of gnat ****. TGP is weird. Some dude called me a hypocrite and told me to get my post count up before commenting again. That was last week...No worries- Forums are very different for those kinds of cats.

All I really care about with my clips or any clip where the intent is to demonstrate a given piece of gear's capabilities is that it does just that.

It's because of players like Scott, or Greg Watts, or Greg V or whomever that I get a good understanding of some fundamental abilities of a piece of gear. That coupled with some good expository writing that helps me understand where that player is coming from in how they demo the amp.

I am grateful for so many of the builders that take time to work with us players and also have spent so many years before stepping out to take someone's money.

I trust certain folk's breadth of experience and attention to detail like Scott, Structo, Tony, Mark Kane, Bill Dunham, Shad, Gary, Andy etc..As far as Sebago Sound's Bill Dunham has been outstanding to work with but also really look at his attention to the craft in these circuits and the subtleties of even minor changes to the circuit to help me achieve the tone I am seeking. I lurked @ TAG for some time as these guys really are all about building the best circuits possible.

I tell you what- Scott's right, you have to play these things at least to get an idea, and to get a chance to play through some of Lerner's rigs is a pretty killer and rare opportunity, as his level of understanding not only of what's coming out of an amp but what's going on inside is what is really appealing about his approach to looking at this stuff.

My only beef with Sebago amps is that Bill is giving them away and the value of his builds are worth far more. I think the Double Trouble is a brilliant rig. That said- think of any of the these circuits as a starting point and not fixed model- The Double Trouble that i have has a KT77 power section- GNAR!!! Could be a similarly cool yet different sounding beast with El34s or 88s or whatever...

Look at the 183 amps like Quinn's TKT amp- There's an EL34 variant and a 6l6 variant. different but equally rad..

Cool-

Teddy

18. wjdunham

wjdunham Member

Thanks Ted, you are gracious as always. All I can say is that if I were as talented with my fingers on a guitar fretboard as you and many of the other members here I wouldn't be building amps, I'd be playing them! But, alas, my brain isn't wired like that... luckily enough my ear and engineering skill allow me to contribute to the craft I love in the best way I can.
    Now get back to the studio and get those strat/tele clips up :) I'm still getting hammered on the paucity of good clips on the site evidently.

Bill

19. jtodds

jtodds Member

Really? Holy dumb ass batman, that is some ridiculous stuff right there. How did you respond?
    That kind of bizarro attitude is such a turn off to me, probably why I'm playing so much acoustic guitar nowadays - even the forums are more civilized, lol.

To the original poster: enjoy the hang at Scott's. You will be very well educated after a couple of hours there.
    Scott - call me I want to discuss amp show.
    Cheers,
    Jason