• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Not bonding with a PRS neck

pawel

First proper topic from a serial lurker here. Bit of background first: My main guitar is a Fender Baja Tele, so relatively large "soft V" neck, 9.5" radius. I picked up a PRS CE24 in a trade a couple of months ago. It's one of the newer mahogany/maple-top "poor man's Custom" models with a wide-thin neck and, having finally had time to set it up with my preferred string gauge (10s) and having spent more time playing it, I somehow can't adjust to it. Everything that I can play on the Tele without too much problem (even shreddy legato licks) somehow becomes very sloppy on the PRS (I can't seem to be able to hit the strings cleanly). My (many) technique shortcomings obviously come into it, but I A/Bd the PRS and the Tele (playing the same familiar lick on both one after another) and in relative terms I could just blaze away on the Tele, even through the PRS is set up with a lower action etc.

Of course these are two very different guitars, but it's not a problem I noticed with any other guitar I previously owned - even in case of the proper "shred" guitars (Ibanez RG, BC Rich Gunslinger) it was a much quicker adjustment period.

I like the PRS otherwise. It's the highest quality instrument I ever owned and I'd really love to keep it. It might be a setup issue, and I will look into a good pro setup, but I just never had that hard of a time to adjust to another guitar and I'm thinking it might be something about the PRS neck width or string spacing that just doesn't work for me. So, a few questions:

- Has anyone experienced something similar when switching over to PRS necks? If yes, what worked for you? Is it just a matter of time?

- Would a different PRS neck profile work for me? Wide-fat? Pattern? Pattern regular? Regular? What other quality two humbucker/mahogany guitar I might feel more at home on?

Of course the solution could be just to trade it for something else, which I might do in the end, but, given that I am not that likely to pick up another PRS anytime soon, I don't want to make an overly rash decision.

dass101

I have both regular and wide fat PRS necks, they are both extremely comfortable, the regular (Mira) being the absolute benchmark for me in terms of thickness, radius and fret size. It's just perfect for me. I don't see how anybody could find them uncomfortable. The wide fat is also great, the difference is minimal, absolutely no adjusting needed when going from one to another. I also tried a wide thin, not my favourite by also very easy to adjust to.

sleewell

just got a prs starla last week, previously have owned a prs se. love the starla neck a lot, real fast and just wide enough. great guitar.

FractalGarden

Chances are you have a wide-thin neck. One of my PRS has that profile, but prefer the wide-fat much more. Don't think the setup will change anything re. the neck profile.

As a comparison, the wide-fat just fills my hand better holding the neck more than the wide-thin (damn, that sounds perverted).

Eko

Neck size and shape is one of the mot subjective qualities of a guitar. If you can't bond with the PRS neck it might just not be for you. Give it some time though, if you only play the PRS for a few days you will quickly get used to it.

NewbyRock023

Some guys have a problem with the nut width. I had an adjustment issue at first, going from a les Paul to a singlecut, but I got used to it. Then I got my dgt, and now I'm right at home

pawel

Thanks for the input everyone - it is indeed the wide thin. I'll give it some more time, but if it doesn't work for me it sounds like wide-fat might be for me to try in the longer term.

Neck size and shape is one of the mot subjective qualities of a guitar. If you can't bond with the PRS neck it might just not be for you. Give it some time though, if you only play the PRS for a few days you will quickly get used to it.
That's true of course - I just found it strange that that PRS neck takes so much longer for me to get used to than, say, the Ibanez Wizard neck did.

tamader74

I tried a couple of PRSi with the wide thin neck's,...There is just no way that dog would hunt for me, I would just have to sell the Instrument, because it would just sit in it's case. The W/F is comfortable...and as 'thin and narrow' as I can tolerate. Tom

Pantalooj

I absolutely love the neck on my Mira ... it has the "regular" neck from around 4 years ago (not the new pattern regular). I don't think I've played a nicer neck. It feels like a modern C Fender Strat neck, but it's a tad thicker.

wilerty

Pattern is the new wide fat with softer shoulders. It is the same width, dept, and radius on either guitar, but the shoulders are slightly more V shaped.

Pattern wide thin is the new wide thin. Dimentions are the same except softer shoulds on the pattern wide thin.

Sean French

I have a '97 McCarty with the wide/fat neck. Perfect neck for my hand.
It's .87" deep at the first fret with a round C carve. Slightly thinner than an R9. Same nut width as a LP. BTW, R0 neck usually are between .82" to .84" deep at the first fret.
I also have a '11 Baja. It's .92" deep at the first fret with a V carve. While being fat it sure feels good due to the V carve.
Then I have a LP that's .85" deep at the first fret.
I feel comfortable on 'em all but, the McCarty is my fav.

I don't care for the PRS wide/thin carve. Feels too thin for me.
As we all know, feel is relative.

xroads

You haven't really described what your problem with the neck is.

Does it led to an improper left hand thumb placement for you?
Can't you reach certain strings any more due to too short fingers (or vice versa)?
Etc. etc.... many things to consider.

I think you should do some research what kind of problem you have, and then go from there.

NewbyRock023

Most often it's the nut width that's the problem. Ibanez guys fit into custom 24s well, even some gibson guys like it, but I always hear about fender guys having that "sloppy" feeling when switching to a Prs. It's partially why I likes the DGT so much. Feels more like a fender to me, and I'm a big fan of tele necks.

pawel

You haven't really described what your problem with the neck is.

Does it led to an improper left hand thumb placement for you?
Can't you reach certain strings any more due to too short fingers (or vice versa)?
Etc. etc.... many things to consider.

I think you should do some research what kind of problem you have, and then go from there.
I guess my main problem is the fact that when I play my regular "faster" licks I have a tendency to strike the strings slightly off centre, while playing the same thing on the Tele is perfectly clean. It sounds a lot like the issue that NewbyRock023 is referring to. Probably a matter of adjustment, but I just find it more acute with this guitar than with any others I played.

The other thing is the thin neck profile, which doesn't fill my hand the way I am used to. But this is is something I have dealt with over time on other guitars, even through I would have a preference for the bigger neck prifile.

It's also interesting how profile, radius, spacing, fret size, scale, are seen as individual factors - I actually feel that these are quite interactive. A larger neck profile makes your wrist and fingers pivot differently, making, say, string spacing and fretwire feel different. But then I might just be reading too much into this.

gtrdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
DGT has more of a Fender feel on the neck and closer string spacing at nut.

saf_1

I've never really bonded with PRS's (I've owned 3 and played a bunch), and probably the main reason was the necks - something just never felt "right" to me - until I bought the NF3 with the "pattern regular" neck, that I currently own. One of the best feeling necks I have ever played. I don't like a really thin neck, but I've recently gravitated away from the ultra fat necks that I was attracted to fo awhile. This neck feels like the perfect compromise. It almost feels to me like a V to C profile, with a soft V at at nut, gradually tapering to a slimmer C shape at about the 12th fret. That's how it seems to me, anyway. First PRS neck I've ever loved.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom