Not bonding with El Cap. What else?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by amdowell, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Diamond Counterpoint with the MLJR, expand on that great Diamond delay sound.

I have the CP and would like to add a MLJ.

YMMV

amdowell and ChampReverb like this.
  2. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Think why many don't bond right away with the El Cap is the secondary knobs. Helps tune it to your amp better.
    What drives me nuts about the secondary knobs is if I find a great setting, I'll forget where I set them. No way to tell. And it's impossible to play guitar while tweeking secondary controls because you have one hand on the two foot switches and one on a knob.

3. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

I like the Strymon DIG much more than the El Cap, but its definitely digital...although a glorious sounding one. For a more analog flavor, I liked the EchoRec by Catalinbread. Really warm and warmly, with lots of cool rhythmic subdivisions...my only niggle is that it doesn't have tap tempo.

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I didn’t like the El Cap much either. Much preferred my Montavillian Echo.

deeohgee and Tabor like this.
  5. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I take pics of my pedal settings with my cellphone. I also put gaffers tape over the knobs so they don’t move during transport. Gaffers tape leaves no residue.

Not Orange likes this.
  6. Bogner

Bogner Member

Hmmm....could be a lot of wonderful directions you could go. Here are some great, yet less predictable suggestions.

Meris Polymoon
    Providence Delay 80's
    Providence Chrono Delay
    Crazy Tube Circuits Echotopia
    Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man 1100

Not Orange, amdowell and delay dude like this.
  7. Lupus87

Lupus87 Member

8. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I tried it along with a Tonal Recall and kept the TR... it just worked better with my sound, didn’t get in the way much... the El Cap sounded great but had its own distinct thing that poked out a little too much for me.

EuroCool likes this.
  9. run23

run23 Supporting Member

Yeah, the secondary functions also drove me crazy, which was compounded by only being able to have 1 preset so I couldn't really get the most out of the pedal live. Like @JPH118 I also replaced mine with a Tonal Recall RKM. It's a totally different beast than the El Cap or other tape simulation delays, but as far as analogue delays go I haven't found (for me) anything better. I do miss the reverb on the EC though.

I did like the EC though and still have it, it's just not on my board and I should probably sell it, but I can see using it in more of a studio setting where I have time to tweak it to get it exactly where I want it for a given song part.

HipUncle and JPH118 like this.
  10. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Wait. Summer NAMM is next month.

JPH118 and amdowell like this.
  11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

EDIT to say: Sorry, I see you did expand some on what you didn't like, and hint at what you are looking for, so ignore the part where I ask about that...but I stand by the rest :)

Before EDIT:
    I just got one of these. Agree it is really nice!
    I only got a chance to play with it at really low volumes so far so pinch of salt here, first try I still felt my El Capistan is enough better that it probably will stay on my pedalboard. EXCEPT...no decision until I can play at volume and see.

To the OP, it would help folks help you a lot better if you went into a little more detail about what you didn't like, or what was uninspiring about the El Cap.

Not judging, but did you spend time with the manual, try to adjust the secondary settings the knobs have on it, etc. ? How much time have you spent with it and what kind of sound are you looking for. I know for me it took weeks to try the different settings.

Not even sure what I have the secondary settings set to anymore, but have been using the same basic setup for years, just adjusting mix, type, delay time, etc. at gigs. I use mine booth as "mood" echo in a few songs, but much more as depth and cool sound during some solos.

I can say, one thing always bothered me about it is that is seems to put a "sheen" on my tone that I would rather not have and that is when off or on. I can't really put it into words, but I feel it kind of colors the tone, digital like.

That said, it is still so GOOD and "hi-fi" sounding, so lush that I have been using all this time. Actually think it is more like 3-4 years now that I think about it.

But the Dunlop Echoplex delay, relatively inexpensive, is excellent (even just at the low volumes I tried it) and doesn't sound as "hifi" as the El Cap. Maybe it is worth a try?
    I kind of like that it is just a few knobs, has also a few secondary knob settings, but other than tape AGE I think I won't need those.

Abram4235 likes this.
  12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Heh...yup.
    I mention in another post here, I've been using my El Cap not probably 4 or omre years solid, on my pedalboard. To be honest I approach the damned thing like a ticking time bomb at each gig during setup. In my pedalboard case the knobs get shifted around.

When I got mine I spent weeks trying settings, getting into the secondary ones, and finally settled on the secondary I liked best. I have NO idea what I set them to, and as you say, can't even find out.

But even the primary knob function. I get to a gig, open the case, see that knobs have shifted...then start sweating. I forget if I keep th toggle on single head, dual, or what. Same with the other knobs except delay time, an mix, and those I always set differently depending on the room.

It's why I thought to try the Dunlop Echoplex. Will see if it will kick my El Cap off the board after a long run with it. Need to hear it (Dunlop) at higher volumes and also in the mix at a band rehearsal before I make the decision.

I love the Hifi sound of the El Cap. It does seem to colour my normal tone though a little bit.

S. F. Sorrow likes this.
  13. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

What else? You need a slap, that's what else. ;)

abby_normal, hippieboy and amdowell like this.
  14. Tung-Sol Tube

Tung-Sol Tube Member

Couldn't agree more. I find that a lot of folks who don't care for the El Cap either don't like tape echo, haven't gotten a firm grasp on the secondary functions, or don't understand what it's supposed to sound like. They expect it to sound like an analog delay, but a good emulation roll off the lows not just the highs (tape age). Not to mention the saturation and other artifacts. Reel-to-reel units (Akai et al.) are even more full-bandwidth and "pristine".

hippieboy and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  15. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I should probably expand as well :)

Most of the Echoplex style delays I've tried have a preamp. That may be a plus to some but I can't stand pedals that mess with my base tone, it's like the amp is underwater. It's never a positive change. Even though the Dunlop has it when the pedal is on, it doesn't get in the way. It also reacts really great when my gain pedals are stacked into it, it doesn't lose definition and sounds "clean", unlike how some others fall apart when pushed. And the repeats get out of the way if you want them to. The Pete Thorn demo is a great representation of the pedal.

I typically hate modulation on my delays but the light amount of chorus sounds awesome. I wrote and recorded a song with it and it's so unique. I havent been able to find anything that could recreate that sound. I've gone as far as to try the trex replicator jr as an "upgrade" and that didnt come close.

The Echoplex is an amazing pedal. Add tap tempo and the tape age setting and it's really incredible. The fact that it doesnt cost an arm and a leg is just a bonus.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    BearBryan likes this.
  16. Tootone

Tootone Member

@amdowell

"Inspiring" seems to be a key word in your OP.

I would suggest getting a secondhand Strymon Timeline and have it as your companion in a "delay adventure".

Excuse the grandiose verbage....but the best way to be "delay inspired" is to study its usage by great artists and on great songs... and there is no better standalone delay "tool" to have at your fingertips than a Timeline.

A lot of delay threads in TGP seem to grind down to "sits best in mix set and forget analog cum tape" soup!

And meanwhile the Timeline get's frequent jibes and disses from those who, as far as I can tell, never owned one, or if they did, never learned how to use it.

Delay features heavily in a lot of the songs I like and is arguably an essential ingredient, not just salt and pepper.

Having "owned" delays in Boss GT5, GT10, Line6 POD HD, Line6 DL4, and compact format Boss DD5.... for years... it wasn't until I got the Timeline that I actually started making some progress in nailing those songs.

The Edge, David Gilmour and Andy Summers were good "delay idols" to try and measure up to... but it was only after getting the Timeline that things started to fall in place.

But then the Timeline does more than that. Start messing around with some of the more exotic delay modes and suddenly you realize there's a whole new "delay world" you hadn't even realised existed. And then you start hearing those "exotic" delays in songs, which up until that point you hadn't even realized were delays (or even a guitar for that matter).

If its inspiration you want, get a Timeline. Be warned though, you need to put the time into it to fully appreciate what it can do and how to tailor it to your needs.

17. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Supporting Member

This won't be a popular opinion, but I own an El Cap and prefer the DigiTech Digidelay, which can be had for about $35 on Reverb.
    [​IMG]

18. Tung-Sol Tube

Tung-Sol Tube Member

The Digidelay was my first delay pedal! The tape mode is fairly dark, but sounds good. It doesn't replicate any tape artifacts and sounded more like an analog delay to me, but it was my go-to for many years. I actually was able emulate that mode on my El Cap ;).

Sean413 and josephpnorman like this.
  19. 58flame

58flame Member

Digitech Timebender. I can’t think of a more inspiring delay. I’ve had mine for a long time and I’m still inspired every time I fire up the harmonizer mode.

Not Orange likes this.
  20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good writeup! Like I say, just got mine. So far it seems like for my use the tap tempo isn't a necessity, though I might want it later. Seems like I have the range I tend to use of delay time so far.

I'm looking really forward to comparing this with my El Cap. Since I have played the El Cap so many years now, I don't have to go back and forth as I know really well how IT sounds.
    I very much like the simplicity on the Dunlop Exhoplex. That will weigh me over to it also :)

First I have to retube my amp though. Want it to sound as good as it can to check it out at volume.

Abram4235 likes this.