Not digging my Klon

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by xrleroyx, Feb 13, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Got mine in the mail finally today. I'm going to give it another run tomorrow, got to sit down with it for a few hours today. The OD is not pleasing to me. The clean boost is great, but not $300 great to me.

Will have to try it in a band setting where it really matters tomorrow.

My favorite settings are gain at 9 o'clock, treble just below noon and output at 3pm.

I'd like to to potentially fatten up my sound. I'm trying to "get" it. I play a strat through a modded Marshall styled amp.

2. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

It may not be the right pedal for you, but I would give it a few sessions because it works very well for many (me included). When running it as an overdrive, as I use it, the key is to find the right treble setting...typically for me it's reducing treble as gain is increased.

My primary setting is gain at 1-2 o'clock and treble near 9-10 o'clock...give that a try and see if it's any better.

3. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Judging by the price I guess you mean KTR? Apparently not the best TGP week for the Klons :)

4. meowmers

meowmers Member

Yup i didn't dig it too, it may not be the right pedal for you.

Sure it works and all, but $300 for the clean boost is not my kinda thing, and I could get the saturated tones from another OD

5. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I like my amps distortion, I use a Verellen Skyhammer. Fantastic amp, I don't even play metal. Otherwise I use fuzz boxes.

Bought it on a whim. I was on a list and my name came up and I was like "f*** it, man". I'll give your settings a try Capitan Awesome. If not, I have a guy willing to swap me a Gibson SG faded bass, as well as multiple trade offers for great pedals. I could always use some new mod pedals!

6. J-Walk

J-Walk Member

I have bought and sold a few varieties of the Klon, and have determined that hitting the amp with it after the amp is already on the verge of breakup is where it shines. If the amp is running above or below that point, it doesn't work for me. OMMV, but I have grown to really love what it does with with my rigs.

7. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

This is "i'm bailing on Klon(e) week" on TGP

8. manticorefx

manticorefx Member

Pretty much all the people who really wanted one have one. Now there are some left over KTRs for people who just want to see what all the fuss was about. Not surprising that more availability at lower prices means more people finding out that it's not actually magic.

9. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Tried it at practice over the weekend, and with my new amp. I usually use a hot rodded Marshall styled amp, and just got an AC-15. I've put the Klon in it's box, and I might try to trade it for something that I'll get more use out of. For what I want the Klon to do, I think my SHO clone does a bit better.

Seems like a high quality pedal, and might work in other peoples rigs but unfortunately not mine. I really wanted to like this pedal.

I also don't use Fender amps or humbucker equipped guitars as I BELIEVE the pedal was intended for?

10. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly.

11. Joe Black

Joe Black Member

I just got a KTR as well in this last mad dash for Klons. I used the silver and gold ones back in the day, in studios, and probably didn't really "get" how it was supposed to be used at that point. I just wanted raging, 90's style distortion.

Not what the Klon does.

And I can see how you'd be frustrated with it.

With some perspective, the KTR really does sound great as a true overdrive, working hand in hand with an amp -- in your case a hot-rodded Marshall. Which may not be the best fit.

Also, I guess I'm the outlier (along with guys like Nels Cline and Ed O'Brien) who actually dial the OD up to about noon, dial tone to taste (usually ends up pretty low - 9-12 o'clock), and keep the output around 12, and then slam the front end of the amp.

It actually makes my Budda sound amazing. My fender combo as well. You may have more luck running it in front of your Vox. A hot-rodded Marshall doesn't really need much more OD running into it.

12. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

To each his own I suppose...I waited forever to take the plunge as well...picked one up weekend before last. I'm having trouble getting a bad tone out of it, with any amp I own. Very, very happy with it so far. And I run it as both a clean boost and an OD, depending on the amp/guitar combination.

13. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I'm actually even less of a fan through the Vox. It just makes everything sounding harsh and I'm not using it as an OD.

I'll box it up for a few days and maybe bust it back out later this week. $270 is a lot of money for a pedal to me. It's probably the most I've ever spent on one. I have more expensive pedals, but always bought used.

14. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that.
    For me, it's one of the best gear investments I have ever made.

15. alberob

alberob Member

My Klon does not do alot ,but what it does do it does so well.One of my all time favorite pedals.Not all pedals are for everybody.Try a Caveman ,you might like it.

16. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I remember the good old days when you'd speak to Bill and he'd quiz you about your rig and expectations and advise you accordingly. Good times :)

17. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Over the past years I've heard that so many times, and while I don't doubt it can be true for most setups that amp breakup is sweet, I can think of a gazillion other boosts and/or light transparent ODs that do the exact same thing. It's not a special role at all to play. So what I'm saying is that people are rather convincing themselves that their once rare unobtainium mega-hyped Ebay & TGP star is unique when it's actually not. I would gladly do a blind test under a proper experimental design with a bunch of different setups and players to show there would be a statistically non-significant difference between it and a few other transparent & very slightly gritty boosts.

18. alberob

alberob Member

Thanks for reminding me about my conversations with Bill.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  19. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Coffee spit take through my nose! Does seem like just yesterday, I still love this pedal. Mostly using for clean boost/tone sweetener through my old blackface but also shines with my Boogie and even solid state Roland JC77. Occasionally use it for overdrive but prefer it as boost.