Not enough bass response on latest Fatboost 2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WailinGuy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Hey, I just picked up a Fulltone Fatboost 2 from the Emporium. It's serial # is later than #296, so it has the recent mod that "allows for more bass cut when the 'Bass' knob is lower than 25%." (Fulltone changed capacitor C5 from .047uF to .01uF.)

I was surprised to find that, even with the Bass control turned all the way up, there's a little bit less bass response than in the bypassed signal. I'm setting the Gain somewhere between all the way off to 9:00 and the Volume to achieve unity gain. I was under the impressions that around 12:00 on the Bass knob would result in about the same bass response as the bypassed signal. On my unit, 12:00 noticeably thins out the tone. Has anybody else who owns a recent Fatboost 2 noticed this?

I'm wondering if Fulltone went overboard with that mod. I'm thinking of changing cap C5 to a .022uF or even to the original value .047uF to see if that gives the Bass knob a more useable range.

2. d-b

d-b Member

Yep...just got mine to use as an always on boost to fatten and sparkle my clean tone. Sparkle o.k. but the effect on low end was subtractive even when full up. I also found that it compressed way to much for me. I will be returning mine.

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Running the FB2 at 18 volts helps quite a bit in the compression department. But, yes, even with the Gain knob at minimum, this is not a particularly high-headroom device. I think I'll contact Fulltone about the bass issue.

4. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I don't know if this will help, but I have an early GT-500. Mine does not have the bass cut mod, and behaves just as you expected yours would. The bass is very full even at midpoint. Boosting it up makes it really fat. After contacting them, you may want to mod yours to early specs.

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm running mine at 18v and it has all the bass I want at 9:00. I turn the highs down a little. To me, the FB2 is more about giving a simi cranked amp tone at low volume more than high headroom boost.

6. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

But what serial # is yours? I'll bet it's under #297 (pre-bass reduction mod).

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Yep, 113. Man the OCD syndrome strikes again. FB2 vers 2, vers 3, ......