Not excited by Zendrive, will I like the Zendrive2 any better?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Improviser, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Improviser

Improviser Supporting Member

I previously owned the Zendrive and it really didn't impress me all that much with my gear (Strat or Tele > various other pedals > Fender '64 Blonde bassman/THD 2x12). I play a huge variety of music - Rock, Blues, Jazz, Top 40 covers, etc...

Is the Zendrive 2 much different in tones and texture than the original Zendrive that I should check it out?

Thanks in advance. :YinYang :)

2. fatback

fatback Member

I had one of the original ZD's and passed it on. I got my ZD2 three weeks ago and have already rejected two stoopidly inflated offers for the pedal. It ain't goin' anywhere!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Zendrive2
    :YinYangZD2=:AOK

3. Improviser

Improviser Supporting Member

Fatback, I checked out your clips while doing some research on this - very nice. For me the Zendrive had this 'honk' and transistor-like tone about it that I was just unable to dial out with my rig.

From memory are you able to verbalise the differences between the two pedals?

4. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

Fatback,

first thanks for doing the bucker-clips - really appreciated!

As far as Zen1 vs. Zen2 I talked/wrote to a couple of people who had played both versions, and in the end the resume was:

robben tone/lower gain = zen1

higher gain = zen2

but again, that is what I have gathered from players who have played BOTH of them - I myself did not have the honour to play with either one of the two ::puh

I'm just a little puzzled about the "transistor-like" behaviour-comment. As far as I know the Zen2 uses a tube, but runs only at 9Volts, right? So its more of a "nice touch" than acutal use for the pedal, or am I completely on the wrong path here?!

Later, Lu

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Hey fatback, thanks for the clips, very helpful!

6. fatback

fatback Member

The ZD2 seems warmer and a bit friendlier to low volume amps. Also at it's extremes, it can be dialed in to give a bit of juicy compression with it's gain. It can feel very different from the ZD depending on the amp and settings used. I might call it my Tube-Driver killer, but it really stands on it's own as a great pedal without comparisons.

The tone and voice controls on the ZD and ZD2 aren't typical of most pedals. With the knobs in their two opposite extreme settings the ZD2 can go from a warm clean boost, to a thick tubey ts type sound in the other extreme setting. With both knobs near noon the pedals give you more of the umblish peaked-mids. Many folks treat them like typical fine-tuning tone knobs and never realize how versatile these pedals can be.

7. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

I have been using my Zendrive set pretty low (Vol 10am; Gain 11am) and run a boost after it (either a Timmy or RC, both on my board). That way I can always start with the Zen as my "clean" core sound (with just a slight push) and step on either boost for a solo.

Pretty happy using it this way--but probably will get on the list anyway for the ZD2!

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

On the Zen2, is it possible to dial-out some of the mids? I can't seem to do so on the Z1 (unless someone can give me some clues on this front!).

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

mids, not a problem for me at all with the zen 1, although i can't crank the volume above 9:30 even
    with the other controls set at noon. it may need a audio taper pot?? not sure, but the i have to keep
    the gain real low if i wanna raise the volume a bit, and this pedal shines with a healthy volume level.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Wanted to open this discussion again. Still exploring my Zen1 after nearly a year of ownership. The Zen1 with my Les Paul is to die for. How can it be better with a Z2?? Can't imagine!

With my Strats, I get some mids happening that I still need to iron out.

Anyone swap out the tube in the Z2 with good results? Maybe a tube with more gain?

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Any of you new Z2 owners start swapping yet??