Not happy with my direct drive.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by musickbox, Jul 31, 2006.

1. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Man, I just finished playing my rig and I was having so much fun until I played my barber DD. I was jamming out with my timmy and hellbilly (testing my new empress tremolo), and I kick on the DD then..... blah. It just sounded so fake. I mean it's wired cause in rehearsals it sounds just fine (then again I am barely hear myself in practice, so I don't hear exactly what's coming out), when I get at home is sounds so blah. Kind of honky with no ballz or girth to it. I need a replacement. I also never use the gain all the way. I use about 50% and push the pedal a bit. I need something to replace it. It was marshall sound in a box. It crunches well, but it sounded so blah. I think I might mess with internal knobs before I throw it out a window (haha j/k).

Any pedals I should look at to replace my DD? I thought of BJF and skreddy. I just order the mayo but I need a overdrive/distortion not a fuzz. Between my hellbilly and mayo, I will be in fuzz heaven. Let me know any suggestions. I have been searching for about a month now. So I need the good stuff. Some I have looked at are BJF EGDM, Skreddy Top fuel, Screwdriver, Butler Tube driver,a Rat from the 80's, DAM Ezekiel, and Crunchbox. I have not tried any of the mentioned boxes.

I will also add, this is not a bad pedal. I do not want those who are looking at the Barber DD to not try it out. Just because it doesn't sound good in my rig doesn't mean it is a bad pedal.

2. Craise

Craise Member

Bjfe's really are sweet pedals with lots of dynamics and Amp in a box Tone.
    If you want Marshall go for a Dyna Red if you want Vox go for the EGDM. Both are great playing and sounding pedals..just depends on the flavor you want.
    Also you might also consider the Little Green Wonder, which is Bj's TS type pedal. Lots of gain and a great tone (body) knob. Were you can shape the type OD you want fat (phat) or thin (more transparant).
    Good Luck!
    :)

3. musickbox

Not into TS style pedals. Thats why I liked the DD. It had some mids but not so much that it was bad. I will look into the dyna red, just always cautious to buy pedals that I have never played on. Especially if it's over 150 dollars. I guess the soundclips scare me away. But everyone talks about them so they can be as bad as the soundclips (NEVER trust soundclips).

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The LGW is very much NOT a TS pedal. It is very well rounded, versatile pedal. It does not cut lows or have a lot of compression. Lately I have been digging it on cleaner settings actually. It is a really full and phat pedal. Lots of drive and tonal options in that little wonder.

5. HHB

HHB Member

DD's dont sound that great into a bedroom level amp IMO , w/ some air movement the DD comes alive, at least in my experience

6. musickbox

Thanks Mr. Barber, I will be giving you guys a call for some help.

As far as the BJF Little wonder, in the descriptions, it is mentioned as a TS style pedal. Thats the only reason I said that. There needs to be dealers here miami.

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

There are lots of dealers in Miami...not sure about effects dealers though.

I had a Direct Drive that I just plain didn't need with my old setup so I sold it. I could really use one right now with my current gear.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, BJF's main man is a Floridian- but if you lookin to stick to your <$150 budget you can just simply forget about Bjorn's pedals. You will never, ever see one at that price - even beaten, relic'd, velcroed, chipped & well used, 3rd or 4th hand they go for about double what you want to spend.

Honestly, for hand-built, high-quality (take a look under the hood next time your changing batteries), it's pretty tough to beat Barber's product - I paid $120 for my silver LTD, and it knocked some very pricey gear right off my board. No 6 month wait list, either. Of course, Dave's stuff has it's own sound- a *sonic-signature*, so to speak, that may not be to your liking.

You have to figure out what it is you're looking for, then do your homework. Most of my gear has been purchased sight unseen- and it's far exceeded my expectatons. I don't trust soundclips either, so I research- ask questions.. Style? Guitars/amps used? That type of thing..

Other builders making killer quality @ss-kicking pedals for under 150? Just off the top of my head, there's Paul Cochrane in Tennessee and Mike Ibrahim in Australia. You could pick up a Timmy or a BluesPro and have enough change left over for a Bad Monkey, which might be just right for you..

**EDIT**Just re-read your first post & noticed you're already a Timmy user - Might be time to upgrade to a TIM.. Still within your budget, and the boost circuit & FX loop make it so much more versatile- You could keep Timmy, too. He stacks real well w/his big brother!

9. musickbox

I tried using the controls inside the DD, it made a difference. It was definitely a lack of bass. I added a bit more presence to crunch a bit more and bass to cover the mids a bit. I also turned down the gain. It's still alot of gain hehe. So it sounds better, I will test it tonight when I play through a PA.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have looked into a lot of the mentioned pedals. It's hard to research sometimes when we all hear different things. I might call up paul about a TIM. Thanks again.

-Yannick

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

musickbox do you use the DD with the tone knob pulled out if not pull up the Tone knob that will really fatten up the sound and add some richness to the overdrive!

11. musickbox

Yes, but it depends on the song. I usually pull the knob when I need more sustain without too much gain. Thanks for the tip.

12. mojovibes

mojovibes Member

odd...this now makes me want a DD :Devil !

(ok i'll be honest, i had that idea for some time)

13. Ken

Ken Member

Just Do It...Life is too short...

14. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Same here, I have a DDSS which I love but it really comes alive through my cranked Marshall 2204. In that setting I have the volume on the DDSS at 12, at home I need to raise the DDSS volume to about 3 before it starts to liven up. Still, it's one of the best overdrives I've ever used and I'll never get rid of it.

Cheers,

CJ

15. musickbox

I wish I could crank. I usually play at church and it's not a huge room. I played it tonight with the changes I made at home. Sounded way better at church too. I was playing guitar alone tonight so I had to make it sound big as possible. I got really frustrated yesterday, but now I have faith in my DD to hold it down. I got my eyes open for another high gain marshall type sound, but until then I am fine using my DD.