Not liking my HS8's, studio monitors w/ better dispersion?

thrashmetl

So I got rid of my old first generation Rockit5 monitors and picked up a pair of Yamaha HS8's when I got my Helix. While the HS8's have more detail and clarity than the old Rockit5's, you literally have to sit directly in front of them with your ears perfectly at speaker level to get the right sound out of them. Whenever you move out of that range, even when standing across the room, everything sounds completely different. To me they're not ideal for monitoring a modeler for bedroom playing and, admittedly, they were not meant for that.

The Rockit5's, on the other hand, while not sounding as detailed, had much better dispersion. They sounded the same in a much wider area.

Again, my Rokit5's were the first generation. Do the new ones have more clarity and detail? If so I wouldn't mind going back to them. Any other suggestions in the low to mid price range?

Edit: I'm not looking for a PA monitor, way more sound than I need. The HS8's already are louder than I need.

Last edited:

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Are you sure you want monitors vs. PA speakers? Studio monitors aren't really designed for good dispersion.

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
You don't want near field monitors IMHO.
The HS8s are working as designed. I own some.

The best dispersion and consistency I've *ever* had is the CLR wedge.

RiGLEY

JBL LSR305 has a pretty good dispersion for a nearfield. And you just cant beat the price. Worth at least 5 times as much.

randombastage

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the CLR's
Even at pretty low levels they sound better than anything else I've tried.

Disclaimer: I only have had low budget Roland and Behringer for near field... but.... the way a pair of CLR's presents a modelers output in a room I seriously doubt any brand of studio monitor would have a bigger sweet spot. I can move anywhere in my 18x24 room and it sounds consistent

thrashmetl

Too loud for my house. To be honest, the HS8's can get louder than I would ever need. I just unloaded a Xitone wedge, way too loud, definitely looking for studio monitors.

Spooky73

Silver Supporting Member
I own the HS8's and can attest to what you are experiencing. But like others have said, I am not sure you're going to find a high quality studio monitor that sounds great AND doesn't require a narrow "sweet spot".

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
Another vote for a pair of CLR's, and only $1500 more than a really good pair of studio monitors!! LOL!!:rolleyes:

FPFL

Silver Supporting Member
I just use one CLR at home.
Mono for guitar is underrated and less expensive.

wcfields

I have the HS8's and don't find the dispersion any different than other near field monitors I've had in the past.

shredmiyagi

I love the HS5 speakers... but you're right, the Rokits have a greater dispersion. Have Rokit 6", but I couldn't stand monitoring through them because they had a noticeably different EQ than the flatter Yamahas.

For jamming and making it feel good, I don't know how it'll sound, but what if you tried to send your Helix through a bargain bin modeler amp, something like a Cube 80, Mustang iii or Vyper? You can run the Helix straight into the loop/bypass the modeling section.

I don't think it's ideal, but my low-end modelers sound solid through a small Schertler acoustic amp (actually the extension cab for the Jam 150).

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
So I got rid of my old first generation Rockit5 monitors and picked up a pair of Yamaha HS8's when I got my Helix. While the HS8's have more detail and clarity than the old Rockit5's, you literally have to sit directly in front of them with your ears perfectly at speaker level to get the right sound out of them. Whenever you move out of that range, even when standing across the room, everything sounds completely different. To me they're not ideal for monitoring a modeler for bedroom playing and, admittedly, they were not meant for that.

The Rockit5's, on the other hand, while not sounding as detailed, had much better dispersion. They sounded the same in a much wider area.

Again, my Rokit5's were the first generation. Do the new ones have more clarity and detail? If so I wouldn't mind going back to them. Any other suggestions in the low to mid price range?

Edit: I'm not looking for a PA monitor, way more sound than I need. The HS8's already are louder than I need.
Checkout this, you'll be amazed:
www.centerpointstereo.com

For a home playback system, it will blow you away!

Crow

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the Tannoy Reveal series monitors. I have the low line 402 models and they have a good sweet spot and we're very inexpensive. Pete Thorn did a nice review on YouTube and also talks about the wide sweet spot. Search online for reviews as well and they will note this as well.

SteveO

Too loud for my house. To be honest, the HS8's can get louder than I would ever need. I just unloaded a Xitone wedge, way too loud, definitely looking for studio monitors.
No monitor is "too loud" unless you turn it up to that level. All you're achieving by skimping on power is giving up headroom.

wcfields

You like the dispersion on your old Rokit 5's so get some Rokit 6's or 8's? I personally don't really like any Rokits but maybe those will work for you.