• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Not many Styx threads here.....

A440

Silver Supporting Member
Styx BC = yes
Styx AC = NO!

(BC/AC: Before/After Cornerstone)

I was playing a Styx compilation in the car the other day with my eight year old daughter. After we rocked out to "Queen of Spades" and "Come Sail Away," she heard "Mr. Robot" and probably for the first time in her life. Even she said "Dad, this song is STUPID!"
lol, I have to agree with you.

I guess my wife and I were destined to be, we both had this picture disc in our collections :D

Marc Roy

I grew up on those Styx albums. Stuff like Crystal Ball and Pieces of Eight were in my collection years ago. The last album I liked from them was Paradise Theater. It kinda went downhill after that. I didn't know what to make of Mr. Roboto when it came out.

billm408

I grew up on those Styx albums. Stuff like Crystal Ball and Pieces of Eight were in my collection years ago. The last album I liked from them was Paradise Theater. It kinda went downhill after that. I didn't know what to make of Mr. Roboto when it came out.
:aok Same here. The Dennis DeYoung stuff is my least favorite and probably their biggest hits. Everything from Equinox through Paradise Theater had some great rock songs although I think Crystal Ball may be my fave top to bottom. The first album with Tommy Shaw with some great songs that just don't get much attention.

Axemeister

Some great players and songs, but the ever-affected Dennis DeYoung was too much like Liza Minelli for me to ever be a serious fan.

Styx BC = yes
Styx AC = NO!

(BC/AC: Before/After Cornerstone)

I was playing a Styx compilation in the car the other day with my eight year old daughter. After we rocked out to "Queen of Spades" and "Come Sail Away," she heard "Mr. Robot" and probably for the first time in her life. Even she said "Dad, this song is STUPID!"
LOL, I agree with this. Hard to believe one of the most popular and rocking bands from the 70's entered the 80's with Mr. Roboto.

SteveO

I had everything from the early Wooden Nickel albums up to Caught In The Act, absolutely loved them.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
I LOVED STYX in the 70s/80s, but they completely lost me with Mr. Roboto. I did like the early 90s stuff with Edge of the Century.

Saw them just when the drummer died (he died the night of our show, postponing it) with Kansas and it was a fabulous show.

They were one of those bands that i always heard on the radio in the 70's, and i liked them, but for some reason i never bought any of their albums.

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
I got into them first with Equinox and Crystal Ball. Both brilliant albums.

They followed that up with Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, and Paradise Theater. Killer albums. I saw them on the Paradise Theater tour and they absolutely rocked the house.

After all the sappy ballads and the later crap albums, it became hard to listen to them the same way. Cornerstone was just a weak, weak album. Babe sticks in your head no matter how much you HATE that freakin' song. Once Kilroy was Here was released, well... I just couldn't take it anymore.

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
TRUE STORY: I left an oil spot on Dennis DeYoung's driveway from my 1969 Ford Econoline Van.

Last edited:

rob2001

I love the sonics on Styx recordings. They are not only great musicians but the engineering is top notch IMO.

I'm trying to find out more on the recording sessions. There was one engineer that worked on many of those records, being listed as assistant engineer on Equinox and later as Engineer on the next albums....Rob Kingsland.

I did some recording at CRC in Chicago and Styx is listed as a client. Since they are from Chicago i'd guess they worked there a lot. Just too cool for me if I laid tracks in the same place.

Here's some reading on the band I found.

http://www.styxtoury.com/archives/ParadiseTheatre/history.htm

acguitar84

Actually the album orders were a little different than people think,

Equinox 1975
Crystal Ball 1976
Grand Illusion 1977
Pieces of Eight 1978
Cornerstone 1979
Paradise Theater 1981
Kilroy was Here 1983

Cornerstone had Babe on it, but also had a pretty cool tune, borrowed time. Also, Styx started the 80's with Paradise Theater, not Kilroy.

I liked all their stuff up to Kilroy. I remember scratching my head at that one. As did most people, I think we all expected another Paradise Theater.

Great band though!

FenderTL5

Equinox 1975
Crystal Ball 1976
Grand Illusion 1977
Pieces of Eight 1978
Cornerstone 1979
Paradise Theater 1981
Kilroy was Here 1983

Cornerstone had Babe on it, but also had a pretty cool tune, borrowed time. Also, Styx started the 80's with Paradise Theater, not Kilroy.

I liked all their stuff up to Kilroy. I remember scratching my head at that one. As did most people, I think we all expected another Paradise Theater.

Great band though!
I was just about to make the same point about the album order.

IMHO, I really think that Cornerstone was a better album top to bottom than Paradise Theatre. PT had Rockin' the Paradise and Too Much Time, both stronger than anything on Cornerstone but I didn't really care for the rest of it. Putting "Babe" off to the side, Borrowed Time, Why Me, Never Say Never, Eddie.. those were pretty good tracks.

mvd18969

My favorite tune to play in the last cover band I was in.....
I remember getting home from school everyday, wrapping my old HUGE headphones around my ears and jamming with "Blue Collar Man"... that tune just grabbed me and still today whenever I hear it, I have to crank the radio up. :JAM

Axe_78th

Equinox 1975
Crystal Ball 1976
Grand Illusion 1977
Pieces of Eight 1978
Cornerstone 1979
Paradise Theater 1981
Kilroy was Here 1983

Great band though!

As much as I love Tommy the pre TS records were great.

The Serpent Is Rising, Krakatoa , Winner Take All, etc. First record "Styx" was in '72 I think. Of course Styx II with 'Lady" on it.

Killer strat tones

Trending Topics