Not much talk of JET guitars?? Anyone have/play one?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by derek_32999, Jun 5, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

2. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

I have three Earlewoods starting with #89 and have also owned a Caldera. As Jeff indicates, both models (Caldera and Earlewood) sounded reasonably identical to me.

It took me a while to warm up to the Earlewood's shape, but I own more Jets than any other brand (I have 15 electrics). My favorite is the 4 control layout which I have on #89.

My opinion is that Jeff's guitars rival any of the other boutique brands out there with personal preference governing which one is best.

Hope this helps,

Mike

3. Distortion

Distortion Member

If they can be ordered direct that would be best.
    No way would I buy one from Ed Roman..

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Would anyone else here consider ordering one if it weren't for ED? I think they look beautiful and heard osme good things about them around here since the builder is only a few hours away from me.

5. HHB

HHB Member

I had a less than favorable impression, I've seen more for your money in other brands, of course all my opinion

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Can ya elaborate for a brotha!! :D

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

8. HHB

HHB Member

I hate to bash, but they just dont seem fully finished, I was at a tonefest where Jeff had some time to explain his designs, I got the impression that he had certain ideas but never could explain them to the group, "cause it sounds better" was his answer to most of the questions people had for specific aspects of his pieces. The guitar was out of tune during the demo of tones, that really drove me ( and others ) nuts. I should have politely offered to tune it, it just felt like I would be imposing. For me it had a primitive feel compared to my TCM

9. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I think one of the tests of a booteek builder is what happens when one of their used guitars is available for sale.

Does it languish on Ebay or draw a bidding war.

I have no idea about jet. Check it out.

10. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Well its true that Thorns, Lentzes, and a few others do well on the used market, but most boutique brands don't hold their resale because they don't have Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc. on the headstock. You can get smoking deals on Hamers, McInturffs, among others, that are just killer instruments, so you can't go strictly by what the resale is.

11. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

I've never seen one in person, so can't make a sonic recommendation. I just can't get into the style of the guitar. It's not my cup 'o tea.

A few Jet discussions on here turned into a pissing match the last time around. They seemed to be linked to Ed Roman for many years, but I think Jet has pulled away from Roman as of late.

As for a Jet, you're probably going to take more of a hit on resale and might find limited buyers on the used market. I doubt there going to hold their value like a Thorn or a Driskill.

12. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I never considered them for the sole reason of Ed Roman. I refuse to buy from him.

13. JeffreyET

JeffreyET Member

Thank you for the plug, Panama!:JAM

I feel I need to respond to HHB's observations about my place in the Tonefest last year. You are right, it was not a wise thing for me grab my personal JETs & head out to a crowd who was expecting perhaps a professional sales rep. Not many people are gifted in every area of design, crafting, innovating, wordsmithing, marketing, performing and public speaking. Personally I cannot claim the last three. If you still have unanswered questions, most of the pages at www.jetguitars.com is dedicated to explaining my concepts and my work.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I have never tried or even seen one of your guitars, Jeffrey, but your response here is total class and on that basis alone, I will make it a point in the future to do so.

15. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

They are beautiful guitars, but the Ed Roman thing is a dealkiller for me. It looks like you can only get them through Roman. Go to Dealers on the website, and the only inquiry option goes straight to EdRoman@gmail.com. Apparently Ed is also the sales manager for JET guitars. No thanks.

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Is that correct? Oh well, that rules one out for me, too.

17. Tubes

Tubes Member

infinity guitars in Houston Texas has em.

18. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

19. MOJO

MOJO Member

I have to admit Ed's always been the main *pass* factor regarding Jeff's JET guitars with me also...shame too i like Jeff 's design

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah, I didnt realize you could get JET guitars through anywhere else. That is AWESOME!!! I just know the couple times I talked with Jeff about things other than guitars he is a VERY nice guy and easy to work with. :D I tried to get him to come post here a while back and told him from day one of going with Roman that gave me bad vibes :( . I just KNEW if I started a thread like this most of the answers would be No-Ed roman LOL. It is sad what an ass can do for a great guys reputation.