• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Not Noticing Anything Special about the Powercab

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Not as hater as the title might suggest, actually a huge Line 6 fan, but am underwhelmed by the Powercab plus I just picked up and I assume its user error.

Own the helix floor and have played it through a DXR8 mostly. Owned an Atomic CLR Neo and honestly wasn't a fan of it. Sounded too sterile for me. Moved back to the DXR8.

Picked up a Powercab plus after reading through just about every thread I could find wondering if it had that something extra (not that I wasn't happy with the DXR8 but I do still fantasize about going back to an analog pedalboard and tube amp).

Spent several hours a/bing them this morning. Powercab was mostly in LF flat.

I think I still like the DXR8 better (although I've always wondered if I'd like the DXR10 even better).

I felt no "amp in the room" difference from the DXR8. In fact, I've always kind of thought the Yamaha's sound pretty amp like dialed in correctly.

I assume I am not tapping into the Powercab correctly... what should I do before abandoning ship?

I play mostly the twin, tweed, and ac30 models right at the edge of breakup with the JMDemoC or gigsup IR's.

Running the DXR8 XLR out and the Powercab Plus through Line6 Link

Last edited:

blackmonday

I prefer the Powercab with a modeled speaker setting. I also didn't think the flat mode was that great. Just remember to turn off speaker cabs in your modeler.

phil_m

How did this get here? I'm not good at computer.
Gold Supporting Member
Well, the main selling point of the Powercab is the speaker modeling, imo. The FRFR capabilities are a nice feature, but it's not necessarily realistic, I think, to expect it to sound like a set of reference monitors or a PA speaker.

Rocco Crocco

I felt no "amp in the room" difference from the DXR8. In fact, I've always kind of thought the Yamaha's sound pretty amp like dialed in correctly.
The "amp in the room" feel is when the Powercab speaker modelling is used. You will not get this in LF flat mode. Also, mine sounded better after awhile.... either my ears adjusted or the speaker broke in a little, or both.

good soil digital

Silver Supporting Member
Well maybe that’s the problem! o_O

I’ll play around with the speaker models. I could have sworn most of the people I read that loved it played in LF flat mode and not speakers.

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
I went from a DXR12 to a PC+. I agree that the speaker sims are the best part of the power cab. I have two IR's that I really like in LF mode. But the PC is a closed back and sometimes sounds a little muffled to me. I still have my PC+, but I also got a SD Power Stage 170 feeding an over size 1x12 with a G12H 75 Creamback and I've been smiling ever since.

Rocco Crocco

Well maybe that’s the problem! o_O

I’ll play around with the speaker models. I could have sworn most of the people I read that loved it played in LF flat mode and not speakers.
I mostly use LF flat, because I like that sound. The speaker models are fun to play with, but I'm just so used to FRFR I use LF flat.

Pastafarian

Not as hater as the title might suggest, actually a huge Line 6 fan, but am underwhelmed by the Powercab plus I just picked up and I assume its user error.

Own the helix floor and have played it through a DXR8 mostly. Owned an Atomic CLR Neo and honestly wasn't a fan of it. Sounded too sterile for me. Moved back to the DXR8.

Picked up a Powercab plus after reading through just about every thread I could find wondering if it had that something extra (not that I wasn't happy with the DXR8 but I do still fantasize about going back to an analog pedalboard and tube amp).

I think I still like the DXR8 better (although I've always wondered if I'd like the DXR10 even better).

I assume I am not tapping into the Powercab correctly... what should I do before abandoning ship?

I play mostly the twin, tweed, and ac30 models right at the edge of breakup with the JMDemoC or gigsup IR's.

I love Line 6 and especially the care and support I get from them but the PC was a no go for me. Bought one, tried it for a couple weeks both at home and at gigs and sent it back. I have much better luck running into the return of a Spider Valve MKII.

FlyingsCool

Yeah, speaker models are where it's at for amp-in-the-room... LF is just gonna be an FRFR tone. I love the speaker models. I'm used to open back, but I'm not taken aback by the closed back, and I haven't gone back to FRFR at all since I got it. Playing it loud makes a difference. I turned it up really loud the other day, ouch! not playing that loud anymore without ear protection. (testing it out in my bedroom studio)

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
I do use mine with IR some.
It is NOT going to sound like a PA speaker that way.
Much more mid focused. Generally a better move for live use.
But doing an A/B will sound weird that way but your full IR tone will still be going to FOH.

That is how I would use it if I were playing original material.
Also what I do when I am working on writing songs and need to get more into jam mode than playing through studio monitors.
But I don't adjust my settings for it at all based on the powercab. I just turn it up for fun

But for home fun playing, I turn off the iR and use it in cab mode just to get a different perspective.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Honest thoughts: I thought FRFR mode on the Powercab+ sounded fairly terrible compared to every FRFR I've ever used (and I've used a lot of them (my regular one is a DXR10)) -- in any of the FRFR modes on the PC+. I thought using IRs on the Powercab+ sounded fairly terrible, with any IR, in any mode.

I thought the Speaker mode on the Powercab sounded pretty good (I did about a dozen gigs with it, and was happy with my tones), but, using a Helix connected to a Duncan Powerstage 170 through a regular 1x12 or 2x12" cab sounded considerably better.

Last edited:

Guitarzman

I got a Powercab 1x1/2 and the 2x12 and both are awesome. Takes a bit of time to get adjusted to the powercab,,, and also break in the speakers :cool:... I really like the tones you get with the stock speakers i.e the Greenback, Vintage 30 and even the Natural speaker. Use just the amp of the Helix with no cabs and effects like delays or reverb and also try the xlr out from the Helix instead of the link mode at first until you get adjusted to the powercab. I've played many tube amps and love tube amps but you can definitely get great tones with the powercab.

Riff_Attack

I got a Powercab 1x1/2 and the 2x12 and both are awesome. Takes a bit of time to get adjusted to the powercab,,, and also break in the speakers :cool:... I really like the tones you get with the stock speakers i.e the Greenback, Vintage 30 and even the Natural speaker. Use just the amp of the Helix with no cabs and effects like delays or reverb and also try the xlr out from the Helix instead of the link mode at first until you get adjusted to the powercab. I've played many tube amps and love tube amps but you can definitely get great tones with the powercab.
Would you suggest any specific amp models to try, or presets to download from the customtone page? I recently got one and am running it in Flat mode with Sadites presets. They sound pretty good, but seems like im missing something.

bdrepko

Is there a big sound difference between the 1x12 and 2x12?

Mark Al

To me, there is an obvious difference in the low mid frequency between the two. I own and compared 112+ and 212+ quite a bit. I wrote about it in the main PC thread.

The 212 sounds obviously better to my ear, it’s more balanced and open, without that nasal low mids present on 112. I think this difference likely stems from the front port vs back port designs of them. That said I am mostly a clean and light crunch player, high gain guys may or may not prefer the “nasal mids”.

And of course besides the EQ difference, with two speakers in stereo 212 sounds much fuller and spacious as well.

bdrepko

To me, there is an obvious difference in the low mid frequency between the two. I own and compared 112+ and 212+ quite a bit. I wrote about it in the main PC thread.

The 212 sounds obviously better to my ear, it’s more balanced and open, without that nasal low mids present on 112. I think this difference likely stems from the front port vs back port designs of them. That said I am mostly a clean and light crunch player, high gain guys may or may not prefer the “nasal mids”.

And of course besides the EQ difference, with two speakers in stereo 212 sounds much fuller and spacious as well.
I have the 1x12 PC+. I keep looking at the 2x12, but I really dont need it as my band doesnt do amps on stage very often. Maybe if I could find a really good deal I may pick one up.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Just an FYI for people that don't know....
If you are going to be using it in Flat mode, save money and get the Standard.

I'm not playing guitar live much. But if I do, I currently rely on IR.
The tone going to FOH is way more important to me than what I hear on stage.
I need to be able to hear what I am playing...what effects are running...and have a reasonable idea of how it might translate to the FOH.

Powercab Standard does that job for me just fine

Mark Al

I have the 1x12 PC+. I keep looking at the 2x12, but I really dont need it as my band doesnt do amps on stage very often. Maybe if I could find a really good deal I may pick one up.
1x12 is surely adequate for most gigs. I got the 212 not because I need it, in fact, I am often too lazy to lug it out to gigs, as I prefer minimum/light setups :p

It's mostly for my personal gratification at home.

Guitarzman

The 2x12 sounds better to me well... The neodymium speakers may have something to do with it but the 212 has more clarity and range - lows, mids and highs sound awesome.... The 212 cab is also considerably bigger which helps to distribute sound and tones, and also being rear ported contributes in the overall tone and sound. Don't get me wrong the PC 112 is also a great cab and still have it but I'm really liking the PC 212 plus right now....:cool:

Trending Topics