Not only tube amps need a cap job...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by VacuumVoodoo, Oct 7, 2008.

1. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

but broadband modems too. Mine started to behave badly a few days ago, I opened it and found these Nichicons leaked and dried up after 3 years of continuous use. Replaced them and I'm back on line.

[​IMG]

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Outstanding! Great to see in this throw-away age.

3. TopBooster

TopBooster Member

Cool. Yeah, I had to do this to my Nvidia video card several years back. Apparently, I didn't have enough airflow for it back then. The caps were all busting out of their cases!

4. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Pedals too. I had to replace the electrolytics in an old script MXR phase 90 and an old DOD Harmonic Enhancer.
    There are a lot of solid state Peavey amps from the 70s that may be overdue for cap jobs too.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

A handy thing to have is a can of cool-spray. If you have a device that you suspect is malfunctioning due to cap's drying up, you just spray it as its running. When the problem corrects itself, you know you've found the culprit. This is an old TV repairman's trick. A spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol can do the trick too.

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Your a fine young man, I would have scrapped that sucker. It is odd though to see those caps dried up or at least to me.

7. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

How often do amps need to be re-capped? Typically...