Not Pro Tools?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tdh, May 12, 2008.

1. tdh

tdh Silver Supporting Member

Hi all,
    I'm at the end of my rope with PT ,M box mini 2.I bought a mac,m box,stylus,Glyph hard drive,had a pro install every thing,added an extra gig of ram.I've spent a lot of time and money paying several engineers to help me try and learn PT Since feb I've had to clean re install pt,trash preferences three times.It just seems I've spent so much time trying to keep the program operating with hours of tech support and others I'm so frustrated that I want to find another operating platform that is more stable so I can just focus on whatever learning curves needed to just use it as a scetch pad.I'm only recording one track at a time.I don't need to be making cd"s here at home.I'd like to be able to use the stylus drum program if I can.Is Logic more reliable or is it like PT?
    Is garage band usable with plug ins?
    Any help would be appreciated!I don't want to waste another dozen hours re installing and getting cpu error messages and trashing preferences any more.Are all computer based programs so fussy?
    Thanks!
    Tim DeHuff
    203-913-6565

2. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I've had Logic for years and I've had no such issues. Then again, when I had PT, it wasn't a problem either. In general, recording programs shouldn't be that fussy. If they were, the whole recording industry wouldn't be using them.
    That said, what mac are you using? Is it up to spec? I've had logic on two different macs, and it's never been a problem.

Oh yeah...another thought, if it's a new mac running Leopard, then PT won't work with it. If you are using Tiger, then PT should work fine. Apparently PT isn't yet compatible with Leopard.

3. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

I've used Pro Tools, Logic, DP, and Nuendo fairly extensively and in my experience, PT has been the most reliable. Had very few issues with any of them though.

Although Leopard isn't supported by pro tools, I'm running it (LE) on a Mac Pro with no issues.

4. mds

mds Member

What kind of problems are you having? Can you give us some system details? PT is generally very stable on Macs, though it can be a little touchy about system configuration. Logic is as buggy as anything, in my experience, but it works fine in general.

5. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

My PT LE was great on a Mac but I went PT-HD3 last year and havent come close to tapping it's resources and it's been problem free

I wish I had just bought a HD-1 years before and just used more RTAS plugs until I could afford a 2nd card

6. Grun

Grun Member

Have you tried the DUC? I have run pro-tools LE (001/002) on macs for years and had almost no problems. I ran it for years (001) before that on Windows. Can't imagine why you would be having so many problems.

7. lutelover

lutelover Member

There are a number of alternatives to the pro tools hard- and software "monopoly" now. Almost all of them offer what I would consider to be the single most important advantage over pro tools: the ability to work with your own choice of A/D and D/A converters.

Though I am not familiar with the current pro tools hardware offerings, I have in the not too distant past had the opportunity to compare pt converter units with others, and in almost every case (the only exceptions being low-end converters that are of mediocre quality or less), any mid-range and above conversion units have been significantly -- not merely "some" but significantly -- better than the units one is required to use with pro tools.

Compare any of the pt hardware components with those provided with other companies and you will find the pt stuff to be either 1) grossly overpriced and/or 2) of noticeably inferior quality. For what you are required to pay even for the pt software and basic hardware card (I think it still is around $7,000), you can purchase the finest recording/mastering software available (Magix Seqoia or Steinberg Nuendo) plus a new Mytek unit with both digital I/O.

If you're going to be spending the kind of money for a system that will last, will satisfy you for years to come, and will keep you away from the pro tools bottomless money pit, you owe it to yourself to do a pretty good amount of homework before your purchase. Chances are that you'll be glad you did.

Best wishes.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

So far this is the only clue you've given about what specific problem you're having.

Your frustration is understandable, but it's very hard to offer helpful advice or suggestions with so little information. Some basic info would be...

1) What model computer
    2) how much RAM
    3) OS version
    4) PT software version
    4) Error message numbers and what they say, word for word
    5) What you're doing when you get them
    6) What other software is running at the same time

It might be very easy to fix.

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Not that I'm up to date but I have a 9 year old Mac with ProTools TDM running on it and well...it still runs like a tank. Sorry to hear about your problems, hope you clear it up.

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Dito,
    I have a Mix Plus system and an LE system on my Mac Book Pro and have zero problems with either system.

Tell us what's up and maybe we can help.

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Try Audacity, it's free.