Not purchased here...so we're not servicing it.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 70' s Tone, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Such a posture is narrow-minded and self defeating...

any and all shops should want to cultivate a client base.. musicians you know will do two things.. return for their needs and promote the shop for their attention and care of the customer...

I've had a few shops over the years tell me the same thing.. I never went back, and today I couldn't if I wanted to .. they're gone.... Like, what did they expect... :rolleyes:

r

2. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Got to know the owner of a Mom and Pop that was a premier Gibson dealer and authorized service center up until 2010ish when Gibson demanded that he take $150,000ish of inventory to resign his agreement. Said owner would regularly complain that for the years that he was a dealer, Gibson's rates and schedules for warrantee work were ridiculously low both in and actual time needed to complete and money provided. Also would regularly complain that Gibson would frequently reject valid claims for absolutely necessary customer work (e.g. nut had separated from neck, faulty wiring, etc.) and reimbursement checks would often take over a year if ever to receive. I'm betting that little has changed.

3. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

If I buy something on-line, I would never take it to a local store for warranty work.

4. vourot

vourot Member

I bought my Gibson AJ in the States from GC years ago. It needed some work and I had to drive back and get the work done from a local Gibson authorized warranty repair shop. I live near the border but it’s a pain in the ass. The Canadian AD wouldn’t touch it. Maybe it’s changed by now.

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Seems like a authorized warranty center is the place you take something for a warranty regardless of where it was purchased. That's part of being a warranty center. You can't really be an "authorized warranty center" that only warranties purchases made at their own place of business. That's not how it usually works.

On the other hand, reading all these posts about the very low rates paid, extended wait times to get paid etc... would lead me to not be a warranty center for any brand that doesn't pay properly for the work provided and within an acceptable time frame. There is simply no benefit if that is the case to do such work. You can't take a hit every time you do a warranty for a company. Why would anyone be a warranty center?

We service most of the products we sell in our family paint business. Items under warranty go back to the manufacture for repair, items out of warranty can usually be fixed in house at our store for a very reasonable cost. We want to service what we sell as well as win over new customers and earn their future business.

Some customers opt for a quick and inexpensive fix from us even if their product is under warranty. Time is money.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  6. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I don't blame them. Wanting best of both worlds; shopping deals elsewhere and want local service. Hats off to them. They don't want your biz, as you don't give it to them.

Larry Eh?, Starshine and CRBMoA like this.
  7. zum

zum Member

As an authorized warranty provider, you should complain to Gibson about this mom and pop store. They won't last long the way they treat their customers. With Reverb and other internet retailers charging tax, I find myself shopping more at the local places as there is less of an advantage to buy online. By alienating potential customers, they are only digging their own grave.

enharmonic likes this.
  8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I mean you no disrespect, but I think they may be giving you a much harder time, than they would someone else - me for example.

Contact Gibson and get the name of a different shop, nearby. Gibson doesn't care who gets the money, and if this first shop doesn't want the work, they could hardly complain if the job was sent elsewhere. You might say, this shop you're having trouble with, has a right of first refusal on the warranty job - and they pass.

Just so you know, when you read this thread, it looks like you're in a Battle Royal with this one dealer. As I see it, both parties have some growing up to do. I apologize in advance, if I'm being too frank with you. Because I see other people taking their warranty cases in to local guitar shops and even though the shops don't like it, everyone tries to be civil and the consumer at least pretends he might condescend to buy something at the store. I'm thinking of one fellow in particular, whose got a nephew taking lessons now, where the work was done.

Ask around here. The consensus probably is, you're staging a confrontation. Some guys won't empathize if you are in fact doing this. I'm not trying to shut you down. I just want you to know how you're coming to us.

9. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

If its anything like the camera trade here in the UK, where there seems to new no such thing as a small family run camera shop now, just larger retailers with most of their trade done via the web.
    People go in their local stores, try out different cameras & lenses, then go home and order online or worse still from a grey import company such as Panama. Yjen when something goes wrong they're straight to the local shop.
    Well now those local shops don't exist and even the large online retailers are struggling to compete with the grey import companies.
    he same will happen to our music shops unless we keep buying from them, not just the incidentals like strings & things but buy your guitar locally and relish in the knowledge that not only do you have good local back up but also paying the few extra bucks over online prices is keeping a vital local resource open & putting food on the table for those who work there.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

This post has dwelt here for 3 hours without a reply, so if I may, let me speculate as to why a shop might agree to be a Warranty Center:

Perhaps Gibson would agree to let this shop keep their dealership privleges, but without having to carry absolute obscene amounts of inventory?

Or perhaps they'd get first preference for the really hot and profitable products from Gibson, ahead of other dealers if they took on this burden?

Because otherwise, I agree with you 100%. It would be a fool's errand.

paintguy likes this.
  11. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Not choosing sides but part of being a retailer for certain companies also obligates that retailer to be an authorized repair center. This was really not a problem for mom and pops until the existence of the discount big box store and then the internet because before them the mom and pops made money on both the retail end and the repair end. All of the manufacturers decided that quantity was king and they led the mom and pop dealers to slaughter. Then gibson and others demanded outrageous buying quantities which of course most of the small guys couldnt financially handle. A small shop cant survive on repairs alone and are pissed that the customer bought it for less elsewhere and now wants them to pick up the service pieces by which they are reimbursed very little if anything yet are expected to do alot in the form of unbillable bench time and maybe even parts. If you are the consumer it’s frustrating to be told to go away by a authorized repair center. The deal was great from the big box until the customer needed something else out of them. Only ones really winning are the big boxes and the manufacturers. Both make the larger piece of the pie and then pass the buck to some little local guy that doesnt get a taste but gets the wraith of the consumer. Cant blame the little guy for refusing the repair. Btw complain all you like to the manufacturers about their auth centers and refusal to repair etc but they don’t give a crap.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  12. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Some retailers never learn. Think of it this way, the store did you a favor. Find some place that values your business and wants to build a relationship with you

13. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Supporting Member

Some of you guys should try starting up your own music shop. Newsflash - it ain't easy. ;)

So a couple of things from the OP...You mention two things:
    1. The shop said they won't "repair" or won't "service" the item?
    2. You believe the necessary service/repair should be covered under warranty.

Regarding #1: If it is truly a service like a setup or tube swap then I agree with the opinion that they should have a way to provide those services. If it is something beyond what they are capable of then they should have a referral for you.
    Regarding #2: This is where things get sticky - at least for me and my shop. If they are an authorized repair center then they should probably take the work and deal with the manufacturer regardless of the situation (and as long as they eventually get reimbursed). In practice this is problematic many times in that they may not be reimbursed in a timely fashion, thus tying up capital, and they also may be doing the work at a lower than nominal rate, or some permutation of that issue. Now if they are not an authorized repair shop then that is not even part of the equation and it is simply a question of whether or not they can and want to do the service or repair. They *cannot* do warranty work so that doesn't matter.

As a general policy "you didn't buy it here so we don't want it", personally I think that stinks and is a poor choice to make as a service oriented business.

At the end of the day it is up to the shop how they want to do business. In our shop we always try to help out customers - even if it means not making any $$ or even taking a loss. It's not that we are such great moral do-gooders or anything, it's just smart business. We love our customers, they keep the lights on, we treat them right.

So I don't know if this makes it clearer what you all are dealing with but I am just trying to put another perspective on it.
    Peace out.
    Frank

14. Starshine

Starshine Member

OP wasn’t a customer.

15. Ron Kirn

When he walked in the store seeking service for which the store would be reimbursed, he became a customer...

the word "customer" doesn't mean you are there to buy something, it means you're there and MIGHT buy something..

r

Ayrton and hudpucker like this.
  16. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

round and round she goes!

17. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

This strategy might work if every vendor did it, unfortunately they won't.
    Most people don't think this new economy the West has inherited will come for their paycheck, eventually it will.

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Well.......

Some certain people did walk into my waiting room, and tried to get an appointment from the staff. But they didn't succeed.

I think one of the unmentioned reasons that Small Entrepreneurship has diminished in size is, the general public now think they own your business.

And, they don't. Or, if they do, I'll just close my doors. Sorry.

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  19. Ron Kirn

yeah,, and over the past few years, I'm finding myself simply backing out of situations where it appears the customer is too demanding... os so steeped in the internet mythology, there is no way to counter their mindset...

20. budglo58

budglo58 Member

There are 2 things. “Authorized Dealer” and “Authorized Warranty Center” . If they are an “Authorized Service Center” , they agreed to certain terms to become one. Yes the reimbursement isn’t as good as their regular rate . The trade off is I’m sure they also get support from Gibson. They may even get Gibson factory training , price breaks on things like parts ,etc. If they refuse to do the work , just call Gibson and let them deal with it.

zum likes this.