Not really digging my Orange Rocker 30. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by msh1283, Mar 19, 2008.

1. msh1283

msh1283 Member

It sounds great...just not really my thing, I guess. So now I'm looking for suggestions for something else.

I really like the distorted sounds of bands like Alice in Chains and Opeth (Blackwater Park era stuff), but I do need to be able to do some lower gain, classic rock, Zeppelin kind of tones.

For cleans, I prefer a a bit darker tone. I really like the clean tones on Audioslave's "Out of Exile" album. Also a huge fan of David Gilmour's clean leads.

I'd like to keep it around the same price range as the Orange(1400) and hopefully not something obscenely loud. Head or Combo. I've got a great 412 cab I can use if needed.

2. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

my first thought on reading your descriptions is that you may be best off with a nice clean to semi-clean amp and some pedals. a fairly wide variety of tones that you described.

but that being said, in the same camp, i really like my friend's rockerverb 50. slightly different configuration than the rocker 30. awesome clean channel, and the dirt can get downright heavy if you need it to be. and the clean takes to pedals rather well.

there are lots of amps that would probably fit your need. probably want to stay with the british flavor in general though :)

3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Have you tried some different types of tubes,and/or speakers? I'd think that amp should be able to cover very well what you're looking for. I wouldn't classify Gilmour's clean tone as being 'dark' exactly.

4. msh1283

msh1283 Member

I was originally thinking along the same line before I picked up the Orange. I've got a Box of Rock and a Keeley DS-1 Ultra, so I figured I'd be able to get a pretty wide range of distorted tones between those and the dirty channel on the amp, but I can really find a sweet spot with any combination of it. It usually comes out way too bassy and boomy, but when I try to compensate for that, it just gets thin and buzzy. Tried playing around with an EQ pedal to see if I could get it that way, but it just seems to accentuate the extremes, rather than fixing anything.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Try the Rockerverb 50 through 2 G12-65's or Scumbacks; even the V30's if that's your thing. I've never owned a more versatile setup.

6. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Try to take it to store and try it through different cabs with different speakers, open back, closed, ported, etc. See if anything changes.

It may be the Orange tone just isn't for you, I personally like it for the low mid dominance...but not everyone digs that.

You might try to look for a good deal on a Bad cat hot cat 30 head, it doesn't quite have that low mids thing going. Capable of similar tones, just a slighty different flavor. I've seen some go for the $1500ish range. Bogner Shiva would be good to try too, but maybe too loud?