Not so expensive analog delay / tape echo to use with DD7 for Radiohead stuff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cutonio, May 10, 2016.

Which delay should I purchase ?

1. Boss RE20

29.4%
  2. EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO

17.6%
  3. EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

14.7%
  4. Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Jr

2.9%
  5. Catalinbread Belle Epoch

8.8%
  6. Way Huge Echo Puss

5.9%
  7. Boss DM2W

5.9%
  8. MXR Carbon Copy

14.7%
  9. TC Alter Ego V2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. TC Flashback

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cutonio

cutonio Member

Hi everyone,

I own a Boss DD7 that I use sometimes for classic digital delay things and on the analog setting. But I want to have 2 different pedals to do more elaborate stuff (and having two delays will replace my reverb too).

I play mostly Muse or Radiohead stuff and I very much like what I can hear of the Boss RE20 or EHX DMM from my favourite bands, and the Deluxe Memory Boy sounds very cool too (from YouTube demos), and is a little bit less expensive and has tap tempo.

The 3 pedals that are on my list are :

Boss RE20
    EHX DMM XO
    EHX Deluxe Memory Boy

What do you guys think about that ?

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i'd add the Echo Park to your list. Does great tape and analog sounds and can be found around $100 or less sometimes

delay dude likes this.
  3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Well, the BOSS isn't analog, so if you are open to digital delays that are voiced like what you are wanting, I'd suggest a Subdecay Echobox as it gets that sound with fewer quirks than the DMM. I did not like the XO DMM's at all, personally.

10us likes this.
  4. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Echo Park is the best small delay pedal I've ever used. The ability to use the tape echo or analog sound in any of the modes is great. The reverse setting set to tape echo is incredible for spaced out ambient sounds.

NHBluesMan likes this.
  5. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

What about the MXR carbon copy? That seems to always pop up in analog delay conversations and they can be found for pretty cheap

river_jetties likes this.
  6. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

May I also humbly suggest the:

Ibanez DE 7 - GREAT Echo unit that can be had for CHEAP

Also, The Deep Blue Delay, while not completely cheap is GREAT and the Seymour Duncun Vapor Trail - another excellent delay to aid in the very heady music arena!

:)

7. rummy

rummy Member

Go with the XO if you're after the DMM sound. Echo Puss sounds very similar, imo, while being a little cheaper.

Frankee and Cgkindler like this.
  8. JosephCurwen

JosephCurwen Member

I own a deluxe memory boy and couldn't love it more. I use it constantly for a wide variety of musical styles, often with another delay in the DMB's effects loop for washy ambient effects. Highly recommended.

delay dude, jawajt and Cgkindler like this.
  9. AgusAD

AgusAD Member

There are a couple of delay pedals that are often overlooked in this forum.
    For DMM-type sounds, I recommend the Way Huge Echo Puss. Cheaper, extremely reliable, very lush and controllable modulation, more pedalboard-friendly.

Another option, with added versatility, tap, looper, FX loop, different voicings, etc is the Seymour Duncan Deja Vu.

Last but not least: EQD Disaster Transport, all the versions are great.

TheRealDeal likes this.
  10. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

11. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Open up to explore the Catalinbread Belle Epoch
    [​IMG]

12. tatoi

tatoi Member

I am pretty sure Jonny Greenwood used a RE-20 at some point, so within your list, I'd go with the RE-20.
    The XO DMM didn't sound like an old big box DMM to me at all. The Memory Boy's modulation can do interesting things, but the repeats sound rather boring to me.

Here are some other options you may want to consider:
    -Way Huge Echo Puss
    -Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail
    -Ibanez DE-7
    -Line6 Echo Park

Mincer and earwax like this.
  13. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

Get the DMM xo, you ll love it!

14. tbader

tbader Member

El Capistan + DD7 would be a very versatile combo.

Edit: Also, the El Cap does have a spring reverb emulation if you really wanted to ditch your reverb.

15. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

An analog chip delay really doesn't really sound much like a tape unit -unless the tape is really worn and lost it's higher fidelity. Think people get confused because they are both 'analog'
    A decent cheap tape emulator is the Behringer Echo Machine. Kind of a clone of the Echo Park. Has an erratic tape drag (mod) knob.
    The Memory Boy sounds nothing like a tape unit. Waaaay too dark. Did not like it at all.
    Save for a Belle Epoch or even better an El Capistan.

16. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Ibwould agree with two alternatives mentined:
    DE7
    Echopark

DE7 is my all time favourite delay

Cgkindler, mulekicker and Frankee like this.
  17. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Johhny used a RE-201 until Boss made the RE-20, and I think there are pics of his board with the RE-20 on it...

earwax likes this.
  18. earwax

earwax Member

If it's Johnny Greenwood's sound you after then get the RE-20. Had an RE-201 once and then got an RE-20 because I always though the RE-201 would break on me. Don't have either any more but the RE-20 did a good job emulating the 201 and as mentioned Greenwood has had the RE-20 on his pedalboard.

19. cutonio

cutonio Member

For the people speaking about other pedals (Echo Park, Belle Epoch, etc...). I've only been looking at pedals used by Radiohead and other guitarist I like, easy to find and not very expensive (El Capistan or other Strymons). I prefer the "classics" Boss or EHX pedals.

Jonny only has the Boss RE20, and Ed had a lot of delays but always comes back to DD5 and DMM. The new album has fun delays sounds that help create textures, and even a "solo" with delay on Identikit. That's what I'm looking for.

I've seen demos of the RE20, DMM and DMB and all those three sound good. RE20 and DMB even have tap tempo (but I don't use it with my DD7). I like to be able to add modulation on my delay (DMM and DMB).

20. Melldo

Melldo Member

The Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay is outstanding if you're looking for analog tones. I love it alongside my DD-3.