Not sure about Vox... help??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender07, May 6, 2008.

1. fenderbender07

fenderbender07 Member

I keep running into a problem with Vox amps. So many of the guys I love to listen to all seem to play AC 30's and 15's and get this sweet breakup with them. It would seem that I would be a very good Vox candidate, however, every time I plug into one I am disappointed with the sound. It seems overly bright, thin and harsh... absolutely nothing like the full and rich tone of my idols! What's going on here? Am i simply hearing the post production end product, or do they know something I don't. One of my favorite players is Michael Guy Chislett, and he swears by Vox, saying that he turns up the tone knob of a stompbox (usually and 808) and then compensates by cranking the low end of his amp... tried it and still not satisfied! Any thoughts?

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

My personal experience is that to get the classic Vox distroted sound you need 3 things.

1. Alnico Blues for speakers
    2. Your amp cranked and with a nice treble booster up front (if the amp is loud enough, this will make it thicker, not treblier)
    3. Be playing with others. A Vox sounds twice as big in the middle of a band. Those frequencies that sound strident on your own, sound HUGE in the mix.

3. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

words to live by.

4. ronster

ronster Member

a big +1 for #3. Took me a while to figure that one out.

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

Also, the cut control is your friend.

6. SG John

SG John Member

Very true. The tone knobs on a Vox are not what you would expect. They take some getting used to. They don't need to be turned up very much, and don't forget to play with the cut control.