1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

'Not Sure If I'm Happy With My BUDDA SDii - 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yardbird mac, May 20, 2011.

1. yardbird mac

yardbird mac Member

Formerly a Colorado resident stuck in Ohio!
    After 9 months of trying to bond with my BUDDA SDii - 18, it's just not doing it for me. I think due to my age I'm getting into liking a little less gain, and to me, the BUDDA sounds a little thin and buzzy. The gain isn't pleasing to my ears when backed off. I've tried one other speaker in it, a 16Ω EMINENCE Cannabis Rex. The CR fattens it up a little, but not enough. I guess I'm more of a FENDER person

Has anyone else here had a similar experience?

2. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I had a SD18 II as well. Nice amp - very lightweight, fx loop, good cleans. Overall, I wasn't completely happy with it, so off it went. I really liked it at first, but after a bit I found it too dark. I was always fiddling with the EQ. I have discovered I don't like EL84's in an amp. I've tried Vox, Orange, and Budda - not enough tight lows for me. I will say it sounded cool for lead work, but too mushy on chords for me.

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

If you have the combo which sounds like is the case. these versions suffer from headroom and that nice richness of say a 6L6 tube IMHO. I'm a long, long time Budda amp player and have owned most versions and these are my least fave's. This can be dark but not fat if you know what I mean and they do bark and excell when you have a fat sounding cab/speaker backing them up, also those EL84 are quicker to compress and run through there life span. My 84's went south within a year and it got very thin sounding. I'm happy with the SD45's... maybe give the SD30 a try if your an EL84 man.

4. yardbird mac

yardbird mac Member

Formerly a Colorado resident stuck in Ohio!
    I'm beginning to think I'm not an EL84 or EL34 person. I had a BLACKSTAR HT 20 combo that preceded the BUDDA. I didn't like it either after a while..

It's funny... I can get a better "British" tone out of my FENDER Super Champ XD (Newell cab - 12" EMINENCE Red-White & Blues). I was hoping that once the Phat 12 speaker broke in the BUDDA would give me the same sound as the SCXD #8 setting on steroids. 'Close, but no cigar!

I still have my two FENDER Pro Tube Pro Reverb amps. I'm having a head cabinet built for one of them and I'll pair that with a custom built speaker cab. I think the BUDDA is going to go up for sale:hide2.

5. 8len8

8len8 Member

I've heard BUDDA amps don't really sound their best unless they are cranked...

6. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician Supporting Member

That's true for most amps. If you don't like the budda move on.

7. dughaze

dughaze Member

I want one!

...someday.

8. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Man, I wish I had the coin...I'd buy yours as a backup for mine! Different strokes I guess.