not sure what to do (DRRI options)

IbanezAFS75

So i have a Deluxe Reverb RI and as many have been fighting to find a good overdrive for it.

Basically, i've come up with a few options:

A) buy a replacement speaker, overdrive pedal and new tubes

B) or i also thought of buying a Ceriatone 18 watt clone and using that for my overdriven stuff and using the DRRI for just cleans.

now B sounds a lot better to me but that would cut into my strat funds a bit more than going with plan A, and i dont really need 2 amps.

What would you guys suggest going with?

IbanezAFS75

I haven't tried any tube or speaker swaps, but I found that the Exotic BB pedal works great with the DRRI. I really don't have any complaints with the amp considering what it cost. Pretty good bang-for-buck factor IMO.
Got a low-fi clip of the DRRI with a BB in front of it if you're interested at: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3820&alid=-1
(Liz Reed solo section-2nd clip from the top).

RickO
http://www.rickowens.4t.com/
and the amp is all stock? that clip sounds fantastic from what i can hear. Maybe i'll have to invest in one of those before i make any more drastic purchases.

still looking for opionions on the matter, thanks guys.

Rick0

The amp is completely stock. I really can't gripe about the tones I've been able to muster out of it, (Excellent pedal also, by the way). There are a few more clips from the same gig posted below the Liz Reed solo. "Little Wing" also has the BB pedal. The full version of "Elizabeth Reed" and "All Blues" have clean examples of the stock DRRI. Sorry about the lousy recording quality, (I used an Edirol R-09).
A lot of guys talk about speakers, tubes, clipping the bright cap, etc., but I have to tell you that I'm pretty happy with the amp as it is.

RickO
Gear: http://www.rickowens.4t.com/photo.html

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
I have a DRRI loaded with a Tone Tubby H1E Alnico....I use either a Lovepedal Eternity or a Zendrive with it and it sounds just great....tried a Jetter GSR...it was OK...but not as nice as the aforemention overdrive pedals.

I recently aquired a Barber Small Fy for lower gain applications and although Im not done "auditioning" it yet....the results so far have been very good.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
Try a Barber Burn Unit EQ. It's the best pedal I've found for my DRRI. I've tried Zendrive, OCD, BadMonkey, and BoR. The BUEQ is the smoothest and best sounding OD for that amp. It has two gain channels, one for crunch, and the other for lead sustain tone. So you have basically 3 channels. Clean, Crunch, Lead Gain. It is very well voiced for the DRRI. BTW, I have a CRex Speaker in mine, and that really helped take the frizzy top end out of the amp when using any OD pedal., but the BUEQ was the best of the bunch for this amp. IMO that is.

BigPapiFan

Gold Supporting Member
I think you can really help the tone of the DRRI with a tube upgrade and a speaker swap. There are many different choices of speakers, I have a Weber California in mine and a Cannabis rex in an extension cabinet. They sound terrific, but truthfully the stock Jensen was pretty nice, too.
The suggested tubes on the KCAnostubes page are pretty much spot-on in my experience, check them out:

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=5.

Right now I am using a Hicks Fender Mender in mind and with Mullard cv4004's in V1 and V2 it gives a very nice OD. But, of course, this "mod" disables channel 1.
I have also found that the Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic pedal sounds great with the DRRI, and it has true bypass, as well as "clean" and "drive" channels. Once you dial in the tones you want on each, it effectively turns the DRRI into a three channel amp.

Blues67

I use a Tim for light overdrive and a Zendrive for lead with my DRRI reissue w/ stock Jensen speaker. I sold all of my other overdrives after getting this combination.

Trending Topics