Not thrilled with Minilogue... thoughts on DM6 or other 37 key?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Lord Radish, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Lord Radish

Lord Radish Member

Hey, folks,

Right now my current rig (mostly geared towards dense old-school ambient/chill) consists of a bunch of soft synths on PC and iPad, a Virus Ti2, and a Minilogue.

I got the ML when it came out, due to its ease of use (I do understand basic synthesis), and its rave reviews. A year later, I find myself hardly using it... I've yet to hear any sounds that really get me excited, and I know it's not just me not being able to come up with stuff, even in some of the patch lib's I've bought, the sounds just are lacking some kind of beef. Have yet to get a bass patch I'm really happy with, either. So, not a great choice on my part, my bad - don't wanna start a debate on it, I know some of you love it, and I'm not trying to convince you, otherwise.

I really like the 37 key size, though. Gives me enough range to work with, and also fits on to my stand set-up perfectly. So, I want to replace it, I want some sort of poly, for the kind of music I do, a mono synth just doesn't really make sense, as I don't play a lot of leads, and I need more than just a good bass maker. Not really looking for contemporary EDM sounds, either, which so many synths are geared to.

I know the whole deal with Behringer quality, etc, but some of the demos I've heard of the DeepMind 6 actually sound really good, and the price is right. It has a lot of great arppegios and really dense textures, which is primarily what I'm looking for. Thoughts on that? Any other 37 key synths I should look at? A quick glance on Sweetwater shows most of them being monos.

I'm also open to a 25 key synth, if it is capable of those kinds of sounds I'm looking for, but I haven't really seen one, yet.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I have the DM12 and like it quite a bit. Forget your preconceived notions about Behringer. This is a really nice synth, and the build quality is fine.

thatguyoverthere likes this.
  3. Devnor

Devnor Member

You'll have polyphony issues with DM6. Spend a little more for the DM12. It's a great synth. You could wait until Korg announces their new mind-blowing analog synth. Hype rules.

4. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

I'm only here to affirm everyone who told you to get a DeepMind 12. It's ideal for what you're doing, especially the modulation possibilities, reverb algorithms and routing options. Have fun...

sixesandsevens likes this.
  5. Lord Radish

Lord Radish Member

Thansk for the advice, everyone. I'll think this over. I still have a lot of reservations, due to quality issues. I've really never had a piece of Behringer gear that wasn't a problem or lasted very long.

6. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

The Deepmind 6 is so good - completely in love with it.