Not too excited about my Iphone6

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tone?, Mar 9, 2015.

1. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Just got the iphone6 and not too happy with it.

Had a HTC oneX before and it just felt smoother and faster if you can believe that even if its older.

It was crapping out though and i needed a new phone.
    Dont know if i might give it back and get the newer HTC or samsung galaxy 5.

Anyone else not that happy with their iphone6?
    My first phone was an iphone and it wasnt too bad.
    What i didnt like about the HTC was that I had to have a separate app for voicemails and the keyboard wasnt too hot.

But the iphone6 is kinda borning . Not nearly customizable like an android.

2. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Download GarageBand and all the other amazing music apps that is available, and not on android, and start making some music. Buy the lines6 sonic port, plug in your guitar and play some guitar. Not sure what you want the phone to do, but if your a musician, and since you're on TGP im assuming you are, the iPhone is the only phone for musicians.

3. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

The Galaxy S5 is a great phone. Uses up to a 128 gig SD card, removable (and upgradable) battery, sick battery life (I charge mine every 3 or 4 days whether it needs it or not), much faster than any phone I've personally used, zero quirks, and no iTunes control to contend with.

I really wanted badly to end up with the iPhone 6, but in the end there really wasn't anything compelling about the iPhone for me. I've compared my S5 against all the iPhones and it outperforms them in every way that matters to me, internet speed in particular.

4. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Does it have to use a third party app for voicemail?

good keyboard?

I was going to get the samsung galaxy 5 but its a tad large and the amoled screen is a bit weird looking.

thanks man!

5. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

I dunno about the voicemail app - I haven't used voicemail in many years. The keyboard is great as far as virtual keyboards go, spacing between characters is good and my hands and fingers are big.

I realize that I am going against the grain here, but I have learned to prefer the Samsung interface over everything else I've tried. My S5 has never locked up once, and the only complaint I have is that it's impossible to get rid of unwanted imbedded programs without rooting the phone, which I don't plan to do.

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

meh

most already have means to record. it's also a bitch to text and play guitar at the same time lol.

better off with a pod anyway. it sounds 100x better and you can buy one really cheap.

when most people talk about customizing their phone, it's not for music.

7. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I'll use a metronome or tuner on my phone for music and that's it. Oh and ear training. Would never use it for multitrack recording unless it was the only option. Reaper wins every time.

8. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

OP, I don't mean to sound glib about this but why did you get an iPhone if you prefer to customize? It's quite commonly known that Android gives you that possibility while the iPhone doesn't.

If there's a return policy, I'd suggest exploring and trying to seriously get familiar with it more intricately and if you still can't bond with it, do as we do with guitars and either return or sell it to buy what you prefer. :)

9. Baracus

Baracus Member

Got mine a few weeks ago... upgraded from a 4s.

Expected to be nonplussed but was pleasantly surprised.

I like my 6 way more than I expected to. The screen size is a big part of that but sounds like you are used to that already

Never had an android though, don't really want to spend time customising a phone, I waste enough time on it already

I do run my guitar through it sometimes and have even jammed with it in a pinch

Horses for courses I guess. But someone above made a good point. Why buy one if you wanted to customise, when you know you can't?

10. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

1) Yes. Voicemail is clunky compared to iPhone.

2) Good keyboard, but it's frustrating that they put dedicated comma and voice input buttons beside a shrunken spacebar...I hit them accidentally all the time, and I've seen online that I'm not the only one. Yes there are third-party keyboards out there, but the couple I've tried I personally didn't like, so I stick with stock.

3) My (Galaxy Note) screen is impressive indoors, and completely washed-out in sunlight. Never had that problem with iPhones.

11. guitz

guitz Member

I believe it. My HTC One never has any delays in scrolling, viewing multiple webpages, flipping between multiple apps, ...many, many open web browsers.... nothing.....not even a micro-second of delay, unlike the galaxy , which I returned....I'm with you on the keyboard though, do not like it and I frequently hit the wrong key...there probably is a way to customize it tho, just haven't fiddled with it...I think I just convinced myself to get the newest HTC One rather than going back to the Iphone!...the biggest bonus though may be not having to deal with the crap iTunes sync process....drag and drop files to/from the phone is the only way to go , at least in a wired situation...

12. Ricky Anderson

Ricky Anderson Member

try samsung galaxy s6 edge

13. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I guess I'm the last one on earth with an iPhone4.. I'm not too excited about that either

14. andrekp

andrekp Member

Yes the S5 has voicemail that is a part of the phone app. (The HTC doesn't?) Not sure why anyone would say it's clunky as compared to an iPhone. Voicemail is voicemail. You hit a key and it plays things back to you.

I actually tried a bunch of different keyboards. I ended up liking the Samsung one best. I like having the number row above the letters. But that's android, just find one you like and don't worry about it.

I've never had a problem with the S5 screen. I presume the Note uses the same kind of screen. No screen on ANY phone looks great in direct sunlight, but in my experience the Samsungs look pretty good in comparison to most. Direct sun though just isn't the place for great looking screens...

The thing with the Samsungs that you should know is that they are AMOLED, which means that the colors are generated BY the pixels themselves (not a backlight). So that's what gives ou those oversaturated colors (you can turn them down) and what gives you the ability to save some battery. If you use a darker (or even black) wallpaper, you can cut the battery use of the screen down to a very small percentage.

People complain about the Samsungs and lag, but I really don't think that was much of an issue with the S5, even if it was in previous Galaxies. However, you can easily get around that anyway by using a different launcher. And if you do that, you can still use the touchwiz features that are cool like the multiwindow (why isn't this on EVERY phone?). Samsungs take some crap from people, but anything that is used by the masses always does. For me, having lots of storage was the issue, so the S5 fit the bill and I love it (it's fairly customized though). the HTC lost out for me because the One (M8) had a lousy camera. The M9 looks to fix that though. I'd also look at an LG G3 and and Moto X (which you can get with 64G if that's enough).

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

If a person is really a musician, why not record in a real studio? Why not play with real band members and play guitar through a Marshall superlead? ..... or does the iPhone have more haunting mids and other band members who show up on time? :confused:

16. micycle

micycle Member

You need to jailbreak it for that. I never had an Android but never liked the iOS limitations, just stupid little things you should be able to do in the first place like being able to bypass the forced icon layout. Here's my home screen, exactly as I want it:

[​IMG]

Also there's a tweak that allows you to assign functions to the physical buttons. For example if I press the home button 3 times on my phone it toggles wifi on/off. When I'm out running and want to skip to the next tune I press the power button 3x rather than fiddle around on the screen. Just a lot of "Why don't they just do that in the first place?" stuff, some of which they HAVE incorporated into the OS in recent years, but there's still a lot of room for improvement!

17. ford

ford Supporting Member

I had one up until last summer... it was bogging down.. but was a great phone that I used for about three years!

My wife and daughter still have the 4s... both are running just fine.

18. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies!

For those who have the HTC ONEM8 is there word wrap or fit to screen for web browsing?

19. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

But it's not really part of the phone app, at least not on my ATT Note 4. It's a separate app, which is connected to the phone app. With iPhones it's all one app, and it's much smoother...better visual notification, less steps to get to and listen to the voicemails.

I like the Samsung one best also, I'm just jealous of other 'boards with full spacebars haha. The whole "find one you like" thing is great in theory, but Swiftkey was buggy and weird for me, I don't like the look of Fleksy and I don't Swype-type...lots of keyboards out there, with lots of bad ratings and reports of bugs with them. But I actually do like the Samsung one best, overall.

Here's the thing - it was never even a thought with the iPhone, for six years I never had a problem seeing my screen outdoors. Now it's an issue. The auto-brightness setting is too dark for me so I set it manually, and I keep it pretty bright. But it just disappears outside. I guess I'm going to have to play around with it more.

While the homepages scroll smooth as butter, anything internet related is a herky-jerky mess for me. Scrolling is in fits and starts, web pages appear very quickly but it takes a while to actually use them...you start to scroll down and then it stops, so you wait, and it's a little dance until the things loads completely I guess.

None of these things are deal-breakers, but they are 'things'. Things I never had with iPhones. And there are plenty more, as well...like, why is the weather on the lock screen never the same as on my homepage, using the stock weather app? Why can't I get a text notification on the lock screen that just shows who it's from, without a message preview? Why isn't there a dedicated vibrate mode that isn't affected by the volume rocker, so that it doesn't get changed all the time? Why is copy/paste so clunky - highlighting text brings up the keyboard, which makes it difficult to pull the highlight bars down-screen. Long-pressing to paste brings up a paste button, but how come not for copy or select-all? For that you're using the awkward highlight handles or Samsung's cryptic symbols in the toolbar up top. And Apple still owns the app department hands-down IMO, more selection and better looking and functioning apps, not to mention all the cool music-related stuff...

These are examples of every-day things that make me feel Android still has a way to go before it's as smooth and polished as iOS. Yes it's great that Android offers so much for the power-user, but it shouldn't be at the expense of a lesser experience for the normal, everyday user. I still like my Note 4, the S Pen is super cool, and in the end it does everything I need it to. But I miss a lot of things about iPhone....with the exception of iTunes haha.

20. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I was going to get a 6 but then saw all the problems friends were having trying to use a ' non official ' cable or usb power source. What a pain. Plug the thing in to charge, come back a few hours later to see the "this accessory may not be supported" message and the phone hasn't charged at all. Pure greed and stupidity from Apple.