not too expensive 335 like

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by red firebird, Jun 23, 2005.

1. red firebird

red firebird Guest

I'm quite sure there already have some discussion about that but didn't found anything, and it's always moving. I'm looking for a ~1000$ solution to get a 335 like, I like the look, electronics, ergonomics. I really like big heads like vintage Epis , I just tried a TA50 from Aria and found it good.
    Any experience to share before I get this one and put hum sized P90s on it?

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

I'd go for a Hamer Newport. Those guitars are just phenominal, and you'll probably be able to find one used for that price.

Hamer Newport

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Ibanez hollowbodies get good comments for bang for the buck , especially if you're changing pickups .

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

+1, a lot of the Artcore series can be had for <$500.

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

Old Ibanez Artstars and Yamaha SA (old and new) get my vote.

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Another vote for Yamaha...

7. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Hamer Newport would be my pick. Maybe a used Heritage. I've seen early 80's Ibanez 335 style go in that range. Those are great guitars.

8. Marcello

Marcello Member

Peavey JF, decent instrument.

9. B Vance

B Vance Member

You can get a used faded/unfinished Gibson 335 for like $1100. If I were you I would just go ahead and do that. Much like the Faded Gibson Les Paul Specials that sell new for about $750. They are made in America, with all the same electronics and hardware, but the wood doesn't have the finish that the other models have. Great value if you are looking to save on the bank in my opinion.

10. DRAGON523

DRAGON523 Member

You should be able to get a used ES-333 for under $1000. Its basically a 335 with a satin finish, no pickguard, different pickups, and a backplate for easier access to the electronics.

11. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Used Heritage 535, but you might need to budget for replacement pickups if you prefer PAF sounds. I have a 535 Classic that came with Duncan Seth Lovers and sounds wonderful, but most 535s that I've seen have Schaller pickups. The recent guitars with the HRW pickups do get good reviews, though they'll be less common on the used market.

Aren't there cheaper Epiphone and Gibson 335 styled guitar?

Bryan

13. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

I had a similar dilemna a short while back. I was looking for an Ibanez AS200 from the early 80's. After looking for that guitar, I became aware of other similar guitars such as the Ibanez AM205 (smaller body AS200), AS400, AS80, Yamaha SA2200, SA800, SA950, Hamer Newport, Epiphone Elite 335, the Heritage 535, etc. To make a long story short, I decided on the Yamah SA2200. It looks great, has a very nice figure (especially on the back, can you say "flamey arse???"), and plays well. I haven't even bothered to change the stock pickups, as they sound fine. Its an older model, but seems to be NOS. To be honest, I had my heart set on the Ibanez AS200 mainly becuase Scofield plays one, but after seeing them sporadically turn up on Ebay and then go for well over 1 grand, I decided that it was not worth it. The Yamaha SA2200 goes for $1500 new from music stores, but I got mine for about $950.

My advice: the Yamah SA200, Ibanez AS200, and Hamer Newport are all great guitars. There's something about Heritage which turns me off, but I can't put my finger on it. the Ibanez AS200s can get pretty expensive on Ebay, especially when you stop to consider the fact that they're well over 20 yrs old. When I was looking, I didn't see a Hamer Newport for under or around 1 grand, but I'm sure they come up from time to time.

Thus concludes my rambling (but hopefully somewhat useful) post...

14. hipfan

hipfan Member

Washburn HB35 - a veritable steal at $450.

15. nsriley

nsriley Member

I just picked up a used Korean Hamer Echotone for $349 with a nice gig bag. For the money is a super guitar. Better than the China made models out now. Even the Duncan designed pups sound pretty good. If I changed anything it would be the pickups, but even stock, I dig it. I used to have an Ibanez Artstar AS120 model that I wished I never sold.

Here's the Hamer.

[​IMG]

-Peace
    -Nate

16. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson Member

My vote for the Epi Elite. Used uder a grand if you can find one.

17. red firebird

red firebird Guest

I saw a Riviera, beautiful but they sell for a bunch and are impossible to find used.
    What about Hohners and Hofners? Hofners looks very good, never had a chance to touch one.

18. markman

markman Member

I also just bought a MIK Hamer Echotone. It is a great guitar for the money. The new Chinese made ones didn't look as good.

19. alderbody

alderbody Member

i have an Epi Dot i got really cheap.

then one day i upgraded it with high quality hardware and electronics and now it's a fantastic sounding guitar.

upgrades: Grover tuners, bone nut, WCR Crossroads pickups, RS Guitarworks electronics kit, Switchcraft switch and jack, Gotoh bridge and featherweight tailpiece, snake oil strings...

All these, plus the initial value of the guitar, cost me less than 1K euro, but its tone is worth much more now... ;)

20. beachwail

beachwail Member

+1
    Hamer Newport Pro.