Not using FX loops

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BlackIrish, Feb 16, 2009.

1. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

I tried this in the effects forum but got no response so can you tell me some of the different ways this is possible? In a single channel amp if you turn up you master to distortion levels do you need an fx loop, or can you plug it all straight in front? If you have a Fender style 2 input amp can you use one as the fx loop, or can you with a two channel two input amp? I'm using a looper for practice quite a bit and am looking to get a better practice amp but would like to know what my options are without an fx loop. Using distortion after the clean loop is the problem when the pedals are in line. Thanks for any advice.
    Tim

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I'm not sure I understand the question about using one channel of a two channel amp as an effects loop, but I'm not aware of any way to do that.

Can you give more info on what types of effects you're looking to use, other than the looper? Assuming you're talking about delays and other time-based effects, personally I've never found a setup that sounded good with those before distortion in the signal chain.

3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

Yes mainly the looper but the delay also.
    Currently I'm running a dd7 in loop mode in my fx loop with a delay in front of it for use with leads over the loop. I record on the clean channel then switch to the dirty channel for leads while the looper plays clean repeats. I'm looking for a new small practice amp and while there are plenty of cool inexpensive vintage amps out there none seem to have an fx loop?
    Sorry for the confusing question.
    BTW I wanted to say two input amp thanks
    Thanks,
    Tim

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Wish I could be more helpful. The only thing I can suggest is a distortion pedal before the delay. As I said, I've never had any luck with delay before amp distortion.

5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

Thanks
    yeah a distortion pedal is the way to go If only I could plug the looper into one input of a AC30 or something and a distortion pedal into the other channel input to pull this off. :jo

6. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I ahve never heard a delay in front of a distorted amp that sounded great, but supposedly the T Rex is good.

Another solution would be to add a "wet" amp to your rig. Run a w/d system.

Matt

7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

Thanks I've run W/D before I'm just trying to get it down to one amp tho.