Notched Gibson style saddles

swiveltung

or Nashville or ABR etc.... do you leave the string just sitting on/in the little V notch, or do you radius file the saddle notch to fit the string? Do you hear a difference?

mughead

i file so it cups about a third of the string, just like nuts when i make them. im no luthier so i will watch this for any other options.

i did have an aftermarket abr which had very light guide notches and used it like that to start. i was getting strange ringing overtones... not the nice ones! so i matched the cuts to the string like i stated previously and the crap went away. cheers.

swiveltung

That's what I'm wondering. The bigger strings seem to have very little contact area to the saddle. I'm mostly a Fender guy, but have wondered what people do. I'm surprised the good bridges don't come with a string matching notch like a nut or something other than a V notch....

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
They don't come with a notch because the saddles need to be customized to the string gauge used.

icr

or Nashville or ABR etc.... do you leave the string just sitting on/in the little V notch, or do you radius file the saddle notch to fit the string? Do you hear a difference?
All the ones I have ever bought don't have a notch.

Trending Topics