'Nother IR 'Speriment

Jay Mitchell

I've been meaning to do this for some time now. The IR in the link is stereo. Read that again. It is intended for use with a legit stereo system, meaning a modeler that can accommodate stereo IRs (at least) and a matched pair of monitors, ideally both neutral and full range (response below ca. 80Hz isn't critical, however).

I'd like to hear from folks who try the IR as described above. I have not auditioned it mixed to mono (Edit: now I have, for reference), nor am I interested in discussing that possibility for purposes of this thread.

Usage hint: a stereo IR of a single-speaker cab would be unlikely to produce interesting results. IOW, this ain't that. [Edit: I had no idea that this statement could confuse anyone. To clarify, because a stereo IR of a single-speaker cab would be unlikely to produce interesting results, this is not an IR of a single-speaker cab.] If interested, download promptly, as I may not leave it up very long.

BTW, it's 48kHz SR, 1024 point. That should work with most modelers and convolvers.

Last edited:

timowens316

Gold Supporting Member
I don't do stereo, but I'm still interested in this conversation in case I ever decide to, thanks for sharing.

Jay Mitchell

The IR should work with any modeler that can convolve stereo IRs. It is known to work with Amplifire and Fractal devices, and I'm confident it will work with Helix modelers as well. If you're not sure, there's one way to find out. I'll give anyone who is not fully satisfied with the product a full refund. :)

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
The IR should work with any modeler that can convolve stereo IRs. It is known to work with Amplifire and Fractal devices, and I'm confident it will work with Helix modelers as well. If you're not sure, there's one way to find out. I'll give anyone who is not fully satisfied with the product a full refund. :)
The Helix can’t process stereos IRs currently. It will just load the left side of the file now. If you have them saved as individual mono files, you could load them as two blocks and run them in parallel and hard pan them.

kyolic

Helix Ventoux > TH-U Supercabinet (definitely processes the IRs in stereo - also checked with PSP Stereo Analyzer and confirmed that IR was processed in stereo)

Although I hate your IRs to date, it seems you cracked the code for the best sounding IR with this one, Jay.

Jay Mitchell

Although I hate your IRs to date, it seems you cracked the code for the best sounding IR with this one, Jay.
Thanks for that. Did you really hate all of my IRs? If so, then "cracking the code" turns out to be incredibly straightforward, if not immediately intuitive. Obviously the need for a stereo rig will rule it out for lots of folks, but that's an essential ingredient....

Last edited:

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
Marked, in case anyone figures out how to get it into a Helix, in stereo

bateman

Thanks for sharing Jay. I asked in another thread but in regard to shooting reflection free IR's. Laying a cab down facing upwards outdoors, would this work?

V|J

Thanks a lot, Jay.

Incredibly excited but I only have a mono studio monitor setup, so would have to standby and read the reviews.

I exclusively use the JMCH IR and absolutely love it.

Top Bottom