• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Nothing beats playing with a great drummer!

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Boy--drummer jokes and kidding aside--there are very few experiences that are finer than playing with a drummer who is really on the ball. I've been playing for long time with drummers who were really decent...but lately, I've gotten hooked up with this cat who is really, seriously outstanding and it is just SUCH a gas playing with him. Just had to say something...

?&!

Amen. I've been lucky enough to play in bands with several outstanding drummers, and it certainly makes playing a breeze.

dantedayjob

I especially love it when they're sincerely humble... "Was that ok?..." You look at them, just kind of blinking... "Dude, you play like Keith Moon... stop worrying" LOL

RickNew

I have the good fortune of having a couple of excellent drummers in my life now and believe a good drummer brings out the best of my abilities, dynamically and rhythmically, more than any other band member can do. Can't remember ever having any inspired evenings with drummers who don't feel it.

studiodunn

nothing more satisfying IMO.

great drummers make gigs so much fun and really will help keep a crowd interested.

I love my drummer........tear.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
Total agreement from me. I have 2 bands and one band has a so-so drummer while the other one has one of the best I've ever played with. Absolutely no comparison. The second band is so consistent and worrry free while, in the first band, I never know what I'm going to get from gig to gig. One night could be really good, while the other next, I'm fight the proverbial "Russian Dragon". Know what I mean?

Last edited:

Nick67

Ain't that the truth! A good drummer who plays for the song, uses their chops and fills in a tasty manner, and keeps solid time makes playing fun. Nothing ruins a gig/session like a bad drummer. A good drummer who over plays is just as much of downer.

mprvise

There definitely is a difference. In addition to great chops and time, what sets the excellent drummers apart IMO is that they LISTEN. I've played with a few guys who thankfully have no clue how go to on auto pilot - they are constantly responding to what is going on around them.

MusicMan7

I play with a variety of drummers, all of whom are very good, but occasionally I get to play with one who's just great! An incredible drummer. Playing with him is so much fun, and it's always so much easier.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
..what sets the excellent drummers apart IMO is that they LISTEN...
Bingo. All the chops, great timing, dynamics...all of those traits are essential, but the real key, IMO, is that the guys who really listen and respond to what's going on around them are going to make the best music.

Dana Olsen

Hey Leon -

Congrats - you gotta be referring to Doug - he's a wonderful drummer!

At an after hours party following a great gig many years ago, the (admittedly not totally sober) discussion turned to the slightly morbid question of:

"What would be the inscription on your "Musical Headstone"?

Collectively, the group decided that MY personal musical headstone would read:

"Here lies Dana - he would put up with a lot of $H*T from a good drummer."

I agree totally with you - the way your band sounds, actually, is the way your drummer sounds.

Thanks, Dana O.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
+1,000,000,000,...... If you don`t have a good drummer,it`s like driving through a 4 way intersection w/ no traffic light!

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
hahhaha! Love it Dana! Yeah...Doug Sanborn is indeed the man. We did our first gig with the funk unit last night and it was blast of a smash! Doug and I are playing a light jazz and r&b gig next Friday too...never played with these cats before (other than Doug) but he highly recommends them, so I'm there.

I don't know what should go on my headstone--I don't think I'm gonna have one actually--but I know what I really, really want people to say at my funeral:

"Hey---I think he's moving!"

Dana Olsen

hahhaha! Love it Dana! Yeah...Doug Sanborn is indeed the man. We did our first gig with the funk unit last night and it was blast of a smash! Doug and I are playing a light jazz and r&b gig next Friday too...never played with these cats before (other than Doug) but he highly recommends them, so I'm there.

I don't know what should go on my headstone--I don't think I'm gonna have one actually--but I know what I really, really want people to say at my funeral:

"Hey---I think he's moving!"
Dude, TOTALLY!

Thanks, Dana O.

StompBoxBlues

I know what you mean. For most of my musical experience, I have also had decent drummers, but I never knew when they were good or not...just "something didn't seem right" etc.

Played then with a phenomenal drummer, and was just wiped out. They know what you are going to do before YOU do, and you just get amazed at how much better YOU sound playing (especially jamming!) when they are there.

Shiny McShine

Boy--drummer jokes and kidding aside--there are very few experiences that are finer than playing with a drummer who is really on the ball. I've been playing for long time with drummers who were really decent...but lately, I've gotten hooked up with this cat who is really, seriously outstanding and it is just SUCH a gas playing with him. Just had to say something...
Yes, I got to work with Chuck Treece in the 90's a lot. What a trip that guy was. He was into Copeland at the time (and I into Sting) and we did a ton of stuff in the studio together at South Coast Recording. He's currently doing session work in Philadelphia.

There's another guy in So Cal named Craig Bunch who is just simply one of deepest smooth jazz groove drummers. He does percussion with little shakers and other stuff and he can play with total intensity at a whisper on a regular kit.

I'm spoiled now.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Yep...
I've played with good ones, bad ones, and sick ones.

Gimme the sick one everytime!

As the drummer goes...so goes the band.

Never more true words than this.

Glad you got a guy with the REAL goods, Leon.

One piece of advice...KEEP HIM HAPPY (and paid).

:)

S.
j

BBSuggs

I'd be happy to have a drummer that simply goes unnoticed . . . if you know what I mean. In their defense, however, to "listen" to what's going on, they need a good monitor mix. Our poor guy rarely has that luxury. I sure hope that's the problem.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Nothing beats playing with a great drummer!

you got that right.....

:agree TO THE MAX!

Trending Topics