Nothing like a 4x12!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DrJamie, Jan 3, 2008.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Supporting Member

Just came from a fun basement jam, running my Marshall 2061x through an unknown make 4x12. What a great sound. I'll never take one out to gig with, but I loved the tone, and feel. Makes me think about the matching 2x12 closed back now. My PRS korina McCarty soapbar didn't hurt my tone either. 6 lb guitar/20 lb head/75 lb cab? no way.

2. rooster

rooster Member

I don't have one. But, you're right. Nothing beats a good 4x12, except maybe 2 of them. I wish the clubs in Phoenix were big enough for a cover-band hack like me to play one.

rooster.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

4 X 12"s are a great way to go if you are willing to deal with the size and weight. I love the way many of them sound. I built a detuned 1 X 12" cab and from the results I got, I find it easy to believe that a 2 X 12" detuned cab would easily equal the typical Marshall style 4 X 12" cab but it actually has more internal volume than a Marshall style 4 X 12" cab so some will see it as no big gain. I recently sold a Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab in lieu of a Marshall 1965B, 4 X10" cab. I don't play out but in my semi soundproofed 20' X 20' studio/garage it sounds awesome. I would much rather deal with two of these 45lb. easy to handle packages than one 4 X 12" cab. They are as easy if not easier to handle than any 2 X 12" cab I have dealt with. Two would have a lot more versatility and suspect it would sound as good if not better than a single 4 X 12". I don't mean to hijack the thread but I just want to point out that a 4 X 12" cab isn't the only option for huge sound.

4. bish0p34

bish0p34 Member

I know they're not the only option for a huge sound, but I love the rare chance that I get to use mine over my 1x12 combo... I went so far as to play out of a full stack once. Then at 3 a.m., in a drunken stupor, I decided that I didn't want to carry it around again. Too much volume and work, but what a sound!!!

5. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

My Stonage 4x12 with G12-65s will be here in a couple of weeks. This will be my first 4x12 and I can't wait to try it out.

I will say that my open back 2x12 Rivera combo and front ported, closed-back 2x12 do a pretty good job of sounding huge, however.

6. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I've got a closed back StoneAge 2x12c with 2 Heritage 1265's in it. That cab and hose speakers are a great combo. I could only imagine a SA 4x12 with 4 of those speakers in it! What color combo did you go with? I've got a unloaded SA 4x12 coming in next week. I'm going to put 4 WGS Veteran 30's in it to try.

7. justonwo

I didn't get anything too wild. Just black tolex with cane grillcloth. One of these days I'll have to get something a little more interesting, but I didn't want a cab that looked disjointed with my heads.

8. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

I miss my 4x12s. there's another fawn late '70s cab like the one I used to have, at a shop I frequent. I so want to take it home.

will somebody please help me carry it, though:crazy

9. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Cool! John sent me a pic of mine mostly assembled about a week or so ago and there was a 4x12 with black tolex/cane grillcloth in the background. That one might have been yours. I ordered mine black tolex/black tolex/white piping. I noticed John bumped up his prices a little bit on his web page.

10. justonwo

Here's mine. Almost done . . .

[​IMG]