Nothing sounds like a 4x12.... except a 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glowing Tubes, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I've tried several 2x12 cabs and although many sound really great, I've come to the conclusion nothing sounds like a 4x12 cab. It has its own thang going on that just smokes.

I just got a killer OD100 head. Wanted something that can really cut through and be versital. I've been playing through a Guytron FV w/the Guytron 2x12 cab.

Took the OD100 to rehearsal, plugged it into a 4x12 cab and was in heaven... got to thinking about it.. Plugged the Guytron into a 4x12 and
    It was amazing sounding as well. Not the difference I had expected.

I'll do a review on both soon.

So I guess the 4x12 cab really makes the difference...
    Anybody else have similiar experience?:RoCkIn

2. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I have a 2X12 that I liked better than my 4X12. I think speakers make a big difference though.

Also, nothing is more fun to lug up three flights of stairs and packs in the back of your car like a 4X12. The do look and sound cool though.

3. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I have what many feel are two of the top 2x12s on the market today (Bogner OS, Dr. Z "Best") and neither of them sound as substantial as my beat-up old Jackson 4x12. There really is no substitute for four drivers and the air they move.

4. Miles

Miles Member

I like my sound better using either a 2x12, 1x12 or 4x10 combo configuration. I tried the half-stack thing for years and left it dissatisfied. I like a sound that has more grunt and initial focus but more resonance throughout the room, and a smaller configuration gives me that.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Man, I find most 4x12s sound awful w/ THD and old Hiwatt the exceptions, but each close to 100 lbs!

6. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

My Bob burt 2x12 sounds great...that replaced my Mesa 4x12

7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

It is like drag racing. There is no substitution for cubic inches.

I've tried for years, fuzz boxes, eqs, etc, etc, to get that cranked marshall stack sound. Tried marshall combos, marshall combos into a 4x10, marshall heads into a 4x10

The only time I got it? Yep, when I had a marshall going into a 4x12.

Just got to accept it for what it is. Just like you're not going to get 50 mpg city with a '69 Roadrunner with a 426 hemi, you're not going to get a 4x12 soud in an easilty portable amp.

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Yes, it's called Turbo, Nitrous, or Supercharging!!!!

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, its a balance, Killer sound vs portability.. the age old question..

Anybody use those super light neosumthin speakers with the light magnet?

:messedup

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've never really loved 4x12s, I like open back 2x12 combos or head/cab setups. Though from time to time I just can't help pluggin' into my Marshall Jubilee 2555 and cranking it through it's matching 4x12. :)

11. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, but a 4x12 only pushes more air. And if you like a really punchy sound that hits you in the chest, a smaller configuration achieves that with earlier speaker distortion. Yes, you also get a raunchier sound, but it's what I like. 4x12's spread the sound out and can give an apparent smoother characteristic, but they by no means have a more gutsy tone than a 2x12. I owned a 4x12 and 2x12 for 4 years together, and kept coming back to the 2x12 because I wasn't getting anything remotely impressive by lugging around a 100+ cabinet and in fact, the 2x12 cut through more successfully.

This isn't aimed at you at all, but when I see a guitarist at a club gig playing with a full stack and an assortment of pedals, I can't help but thinking of that Volkswagon commerical:

"I'm compensating for my shortcomings"
    "Because I have more money than you!"

And he usually has it unmic'd with the cones aimed at his face and the audience, so of course, we're getting hit with ice picks all night.

12. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Were you using the open or closed back? I'm still kicking around different 2x12s and have yet to decide.

13. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I agree to a certain extent here. Most club gigs all you need is stage and small venue volume, and if you're pushing a full stack in a 200 person bar, then it's stoopid overkill. Especially when the stage is the size of a coffee table.

On the other hand, there is NOTHING like that punch in the nuts of a good 4x12. Nothing.

14. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

I've been done with 4x12s for a long time. Too heavy and too bulky.

Have Marshall 4x10 that sounds great and is lightweight and easy to carry.

Lately I've been using a 1x12 oversived open back cab

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I hear ya' on the 4x12 guys, and they sound really nice. however for my application, I use a 1x12 and close mic the cone with an SM57 and let the pa and in ear monitors tote the load. You could walk on my stage while everyone's playing and you wouldn't believe how quiet it actually is.:AOK

16. Ironman

Ironman Member

4x12's for me. I much prefer the knock of a 4x12 over the 2x12's I've tried (THD, Dr.Z, Boogie, Avatar)...but if I had to lug them around myself, I'd probably step down to 2x12's.

17. alanfc

alanfc Member

I"m actually going for this,
    Looking at a new car purchase to make it so. (mine's ready to croak now anyways). Hybrid small SUV should do it :)
    Must Have 4x12

how about the casters/no casters differences? Sound-wise.....
    I was thinking of removing the casters on my future 4x12 and making a little trolley with rims and clamps to place it on just for moving...

What do you think?

18. thesplawnster

thesplawnster Member

I heard a oversize 2X12Bogner last month and I will have to admit It was awsome. Sounded better than alot of 4X12. but some mentioned this earlier, speakers, speakers, make a world of difference.

19. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Another question and thread there. Depends on your stage half the time. Hollow wooded stages can get SUPER boomy if your cab is sitting directly on it. Unless you get a pad for underneath (yet ANOTHER thread), I leave my cabs up.

And most casters are removable, so just pop them off at the gig, put them back on load-out if you want it to sit.

20. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Try the oversized (old style) Germino 2x12 open back cab with Heritage speakers, Scumbags, or other fine speakers-I swear, the 2x12 open back sounds bigger than the closed back 4x12, and a whole lot lighter-:dude