Notre Dame is Burning

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by stratovarius, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM.

1. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I am in shock seeing this news. I did visit Notre Dame in early '03. Sadly never went inside due to the massive crowds and being short on time and cash. I truly regret that now.

An 800 year old building. Lifetime upon lifetime of artist and architectural and spiritual heritage. Feels awful, and ominous for France. I really hope I'm wrong on the latter.

2. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

When you think this building is more than three times older than the USA and Australia

3. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Sharp, Barnyardy, Nutty, Rustic, and slightly Ripe Gold Supporting Member

I was there around 30 years ago during a high school French class trip.

I'm not a religious person, but my grandmother was and I bought her a lovely wooden rosary while there. She loved the rosary and wore it out, the string connecting the beads eventually breaking from use.

My thoughts of Notre Dame are closely associated to those of my long-passed grandmother and so, apart from the cultural and historical significance, this news saddens me greatly.

4. 100JH

100JH Member

Yep... I lived in a small border town in Alsace that was 6 times older then my country. I lived in a German house that was 4 times older than my country

It's a travesty

MrAstro likes this.
  5. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

What a shame....:(

I have a big photo book of Notre Dame. Wanted to visit it someday...

6. Silver

Silver Member

Amazingly, looks it could have been far worse in regards to the interior;

[​IMG]

Especially when looking at this;

[​IMG]

Looks like the roof construction burnt out, but the vaulted ceiling mostly held. First pic is from Reuters via Twitter.

7. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Foam has a number of issues of it's own. I can envision possible reasons why it would never be considered. For another time though....

MountainCraft likes this.
  8. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

that's not what i am thinking.....

David Simpson and fishleehooker like this.
  9. DrewH

DrewH Member

Very sad to see what happened but they'll rebuild it and it will return to its former glory and possibly even better.

10. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

What are you thinking, since you’ve surveyed the structure and wrote up a report?

Peteyvee, Tom CT and MCSS1970 like this.
  11. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Supporting Member

I was there last Sept. There was a lot of talk on the tour about how it was in shambles and Hugo wrote his book to raise awareness. Much of that building's interior is from the 1830's.

One funny thing they said on the tour when I mentioned that a lot of it was much newer than what I had thought. The guide said "Yes, we're not the Italians. We're not afraid to knock something down and build something better." Then later she said "When a light bulb burns out in Italy they open a museum around it because they don't want to change it".

84superchamp likes this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

The building can be rebuilt, and perhaps in time gain its own historicity -- but the history lost cannot be rebuilt.

13. karmadave

karmadave Member

It will be rebuilt and restored!

alexanderplatz and shane8 like this.
  14. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to be in Notre Dame in 1992. I was amazed at how beautiful it is and how much history was sitting right in front of me.

Man, I am bummed. Sad loss

MrAstro likes this.
  15. Rezin

Rezin Member

I go there every time I'm in Paris, probably a dozen times in the last thirty years; it's a nice walk from our hotel and from the Louvre. I haven't been a practicing Catholic for 60 years or so, but I always light a taper. I understand the spire is gone, but the two towers at the front of the cathedral remain, and a good part of the interior. The cathedral may have been built nearly a thousand years ago, but you'd be hard pressed to find a piece of that building -- most of it is 19th Century, and there were earlier revisions before that. Still, a tragedy, but the cathedral they rebuild will be as signifiant, I think. I hope I live to see it. (And I hope they simply rebuild it. I hope they don't hire some hot young architect to do something "significant." Just give us back the building.)

Average Joe and phoenix 7 like this.
  16. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Fodder for conspiracy theories galore! :p
    Hopefully, they saved as much artwork and antiquities as possible.. and 'especially' any documents/artifacts... Everything else can be recreated and made better than before...

LMAO! My insensitive self wants to make jokes, but I shall refrain... These days, I get in trouble even when I make them about myself! :omg

holden_caufield9 likes this.
  17. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Who owns that cathedral? Who decides about rebuilding? France? The Roman Catholic church?

18. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

France owns it... The Catholics maintain it.. I'm not sure that France can afford to rebuild the thing, but I know that Vatican can... and will..

I imagine there will be a worldwide flood of contributions to rebuild it.. Politics and religion aside, that thing was/is important to the world, if for no other reason than historical...

apalazzolo likes this.
  19. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

The report on the structural soundness of the stone after high temps may result in more elements needing replacement. Stone becomes friable when heated and loses integrity.

20. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

I'm hearing on the news now that virtually 'all' of the artwork and what not was saved..