Notre Dame is Burning

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by stratovarius, Apr 15, 2019 at 1:42 PM.

1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

A tragedy. For whatever reason, i was surprised that famous place had so much combustible material in the structure. I was thinking mostly stone or metal but seeing that fire...lots of wood and shingles. Terrible loss.
    A light-hearted attempt: you guys have seen me go on about the Fighting Irish, i'm about 25 miles from the campus. When my wife told me the story: "did you hear about the fire up at Notre Dame? I hope it wasn't the golden dome!"

shane8 and MountainCraft like this.
  2. Topcat

Topcat Member

You can look at the photos and see that the water pressure from the fire fighters hoses didn't seem strong enough to reach the height of the fire. That could be a problem...

alexanderplatz and 84superchamp like this.
  3. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

4. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

That's what prompted me to comment as I did.. The whole fire fighting effort looked late, slow, and impotent... Like peeing on a forest fire... How could they not be ready for such an event??? God help them if ever all out war hits that city...

alexanderplatz likes this.
  5. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I read on one of the news sites that the firefighters were afraid that full water pressure could cause parts of the building to collapse.

I'm glad that they saved at least part of the building. A total loss would have been even more devastating.

6. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

i always look at structures like these in awe.
    the people that designed and began the first work on these structures were absolute geniuses whose contributions to the human experience have been diminished by the fire, the effort of so many spoiled for future generations. sure its been changed, but slowly over the ages

thats whats sad to me - its a reminder of how short lived our limited spans really are. even those striving to make a “permanent” mark, may not be able to carry on forever through time

and to me, its not “material” or “just a building” - this isnt your apartment complex- it was a vessel of experiences, art, tradition and history - and that unique experience shared by millions of people over a thousand years will no longer be shared in quite the same way

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Spot on.

Well said.

MountainCraft and tonedover like this.
  8. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

It's funny, but that's part of the drive for me with music now that I'm older.. The legacy of it all..

What have I really left for my bloodline? I want to put some awesome stuff on record.. some art.. even if only a few ever hear it... Something for those who share the same blood to point to generations later and say "This was something my great great great uncle did!"

All the other work of my hands.. The skills I learned, the building I was a part of, while very good, was someone else's vision, and a collective effort that will never have my name attached to it for my descendants to talk about..

But if I can put some awesome music on tape.... well, at least there's that.. Other than that, there's only the words and ideas I put out there, and I'll never know the impact of those until I cross over...

But music/art... That I can know about on this side and leave with confidence for when I am gone..

I really hope they saved the art in the building.. The building itself can be recreated... but that which was in it.. not so much... The building is attached to mostly nameless souls and is accredited to the society that built it.. but every piece of art within.. all of that is accredited to the individuals whose hands made it a reality...

9. Calebz

Calebz Member

It wasn't a matter of preparedness. Well not in the way you are suggesting, anyway. Should they have had a plan for this specific building? Yes. But in general, pompiers have been hamstrung by church and government officials.

One of the largest concerns I've heard is that they didn't want to completely flood the building. There's nearly 2000 years of archaeological history in the catacombs that run under the area. Losing the building is bad. Losing everything under it would be substantially worse.

As for all out war. We already know how that plays out in Paris.

10. shane8

shane8 Member

11. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

From Wikipedia: Under a 1905 law, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state.

Thumpalumpacus, shane8 and apalazzolo like this.
  12. PaulH

PaulH Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:10 AM
  13. Timcito

Timcito Member

I sincerely hope you went to see a doctor after that visit! ;)

14. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

Hopefully, the huge restoration efforts will bring hordes of people and resources together and fifty years from now this will be just another chapter in it's long history.

15. Drew816

Drew816 Member

It's a 900 year old building, I'm surprised they saved anything considering the amount of wood in there.

4inchjones likes this.
  16. Okra

Okra Member

Why on earth would anyone suggest a tanker plane to combat structural fire?

aiq, Thumpalumpacus, Peteyvee and 3 others like this.
  17. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 11:50 AM
  18. Drew816

Drew816 Member

@Okra - Did someone do that? I hadn't heard that...

19. Okra

Okra Member

You posted a gif; how silly.

20. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Supporting Member

Someone indeed did.