Nova Delay Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitargypsy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

I am considering purchasing a Nova delay to complement my DL4 (an LED read out of the delay time is very appealing for certain songs that are played with loops, etc.). One of the weaknesses of the DL4 is that you can only really use it on the fly once you have programmed it by calling up one of the three presets. That is, you can't (at least I don't know how) dial in a delay that you really like, turn it off to start a song, and then bring it in during the song or some time during the set. When you turn it off, it immediately brings up from the stored presets when you turn it on again; there's no manual mode, only a program mode. Or more accurately, there's only a manual mode while the effect is on, as soon as you turn it off and try to recall it it reverts to program mode.

Is the nova delay like this? Is there a manual mode that you can just mess with a delay and then call it up without storing it as a preset?

-Chris

2. Chadley

Chadley Member

There is a manual mode. You can toggle between Manual and Preset mode by holding down the effect "On/Off" button for about two seconds. Sometimes when I switch the effect off I accidentally leave my foot on the a little long and switch modes. Other than that it works great.

Some people have been frustrated by the fact that once you have preset stored it is impossible to know where your settings are without actually turning a knob. While I understand their point, it doesn't seem to bother me. I don't spend hours and hours setting up presets like many of these guys do.

The thing I like best about my Nova (other than sounds quality which is superb) is the fact that there are 9 quickly accessible presets at your feet. I play in a church band and we do 5-6 different songs each week. At rehearsal I build all my delays, storing each song as one or two presets that go in order. Song 1, preset 1, song two, preset 2 & 3, etc. Because their is very little time between songs I don't have time to be tapping in tempos or anything like that. We also do all of our songs to a click track so I know exactly what the tempos are. I can go from a sublte analog delay on one song and then in an instant recall an Edge style dotted eighth modulated in your face digital delay for the next song. Works great.

I use to use a DD20 (which is a great pedal). There just wan't enough presets for my situation. I also prefer the sonic quality of the delays on the Nova as well.

3. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

Cool, how do you choose between the presets as there is only one button on the nova delay? I guess they are sequential, such as hit the on/off button once for preset 1, twice for preset two, etc.?

I have the tc electronic chorus and I just to really love it because of its reliability and quality and I assume that the delay is comparable in quality from what I hear.

- Chris

4. TimH

TimH Member

There are 2 buttons on the Nova...tap tempo and on/off. The switch patches in preset mode you have to hit both buttons at the same time and then you can scroll through the presets by tapping the on/off button rapidly. It's a bit of a pain at first but once you get it down it's not so bad.

5. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Nope... To scroll through presets, hit Tap once, THEN On/Off to get to desired preset, you shouldn't try to hit them simultaneously.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

A VERY useful feature on the Nova also allows you to set how many presets will be accessible.

What I mean is, say you really only need 4 presets (instead of all 9) for your bands sets. If you are on preset #2, you don't want to have to cycle through 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, to get back to preset #1. You can set it so it only uses 4 (or 3 or 2) presets. It has to start at 1, but the point is you can then use it, from #2, cycle only through 3 and 4, and then get back to 1.

It's smart!

It DID bug me (I hate the stupidty of it, since the preset MUST know what parameters are set, and could easily have designed it so when you tweak a knob and get to the original setting it lit an LED) about not being able to reread what presets were set at, but it didn't stop me from ordering a Nova Reverb (which I already know has the same lack of preset recall).

What I mean, it is unfortunate, but the unit is so good, and has so many great other interfaces that I forgive them.

Some other things, you can have presets that use the "current" (i.e. whatever you have it set to now) tempo for delay time, OR you can have it load a delay time when chosen, and you can do this on a one-to-one basis. Meaning, if you had a preset you LOVE, but have a few songs you definitely want 350ms delay time, you can program that, and as long as you know the paramters (write them down) you can also use another preset to have it read currently set delay time.

The Ducking feature is very cool, as is the ability (again, PER preset) to have it turn off with the off switch, or trail off when you turn the delay off.

For the price, it is a no-brainer. Everyone ought to have one.