Nova Reverb question; "Dynamic" knob

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 29, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

So I picked up a Nova Reverb. Hadn't looked closely and assumed (bad move) it had the same preset setup as the Delay. It doesn't, it just has one preset, one manual...thinking a little more I realize, I am not going to be having tons of presets anyway so cool, and it does sound fantastic.

BUT...I wonder if mine is not working correctly. According to the manual, the dynamic knob when past 12:00 does some reverb "ducking" while playing, letting the reverb come out when you stop...which I seem to hear it doing okay.

But also when under 12:00, it is supposed to do "the opposite" which I take to mean...reverb while playing, but stops when you stop playing...which could be cool. Except when I use it anything under 11:45 on the knob...is just plain NO reverb. If I have it under there, no matter what I play, how long the decay or predecay, it is no reverb. Or at least sounds like it to me. IF I move the mix knob up, the whole guitar signal is ducked, but I don't hear any reverb either it sounds very dry...and at max on mix means almost no sound...just slight.

How does yours work? Is it the same as mine?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Please? Any Nova Reverb owners can tell me how and IF their Dynamic knob works when moved CCW (under 12:00)?

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

really looking for a little help here folks. There must be SOMEone with one, just answered another question on if it was any good.

Can't anyone let me know how the dynamic knob is working on theirs so I can know if I have a broken one?

4. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

hmm....havent tried that... i'll check when i get back home...

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

C'mon guys. I can't count the number of times I opened up a pedal, or tried some setting for someone else here...I'm not asking for the world, SOMEONE here has a Nova Reverb, the question is simple, and it doesn't even require removing screws.

DOES your unit sound like it has ANY reverb at all when the Dynamic knob is set under 12:00?

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay...soon I'm giving up. Just not yet. Honestly, I have done similar for so many folks here, and it is starting to really get annoying that I can't get ONE person to try out this feature on their Nova Reverb, just to help me out and find out if my unit is bad or not...

C'mon folks. ANY Nova Reverb owners, what happens when you set the Dynamic knob under 11:30?

Please?

Pretty please?

Do a fellow guitarist a favor and respond?

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This is getting ridiculous. Is there honestly no one willing to just use tehir Nova Reverb and get back to me. I have never, ever, had such a hard time getting some simple help here. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but honestly, I have done similar things so many times for other folks here, this is really starting to get irritating.

8. whiteelephant

whiteelephant Member

Man...I am thinking about buying one of these pedals just to help you out!

Seriously though, there are probably dozens of people on this board who own this pedal...someone take 5 minutes and help this guy out!!!
    I am sure good karma will come your way if you do :BOUNCE

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for that. I just don't get it. This forum usually is incredibly helpful, but in this instance, what a letdown.

I know folks here HAVE the damned thing, and you'd think they had tweaked it enough to know if the minus pos on the dynamic knob works as explained or not, but nobody is willing to help out.

Just really dissapointing.

10. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

unfortunately I have no experience with the N.Reverb, but perhaps I could offer some general thoughts on the ducking function:

dynamic ducking is an inverse function to a side chain input, in this case your dry signal. compared to other dynamic effects, closest to a compressor/limiter (though that is more of a logarithmic function than inverse). You're probably already aware of this, just thinking "aloud".

Perhaps a similar comparison could be made to an expander and the "anti-ducking" algorithm: the lower the side chain input, the lwer the reverb signal and vice versa. Perhaps one way to check is to set the reverb to the longest reverb tail possible, and see how barely tapping on muted strings reacts. I'm assuming the levels should track accordingly. And then, dropping to no input pushes the reverb level down to essentially no sound.

Possible uses: as pseudo-gated reverb, though without an appropriate decay and release function, you'll miss that quick gated "poof". In some ways it would be a more dramatic effect than ducking. I would think it could make some interesting textures playing, while allowing the silences to be completely dry. I imagine big wet and loud chords, with quieter arpeggios/palm muting sounding more dry and not cluttering up the mix. Again just guessing without having tried one.

Without multiple parameter controls over a dynamic function, your locked into pretty specific sounds and responses unfortunately.

Regarding your unit directly, depending on where you got it from and what dealers are local, I would either return the unit (if bought locally) or by one from GC to compare and then return. I think they are more easily found compared to the N.Delay.

best of luck
    joe

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for the help and pointers, but honestly...it would be wrong for me to buy a unit just to see if the one I have is working correctly.

Especially when we have this forum here, where we are supposed to be able TO HELP EACH OTHER.

As I mention, I have opened up units, tweaked knobs, for other folks here, and to be honest, I expect a little help here. Someone here HAS a damned Nova Reverb, and may be a kind enough soul to try and help a fellow musician out.

So far, nobody seems willing to just tweak a knob and let me know what they hear. I can't figure it out, and it is pretty inconsistent. It's been practically a week, asking just someone with a Nova Reverb to try this.

I'm starting to get really pissed off. This just plain sucks. I'm hoping SOMEONE can spare 5 minutes which is about as long as it takes to try it out, and write back.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay...I'm through being pissed off because I help others around here and can't get a bit of help, easy help.

Nope...through with that. Just going to keep asking til someone decides to help a fellow musician out.

Can someone with a Nova Reverb PLEASE check what the Dynamic knob does when it is below 12:00?

Thanks in advance.

13. andersdc

andersdc Member

Have you tried to mail/phone tc electronic?
    Good luck with the thing!

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks, yes...I am putting in a question to them, but way prefer if someone here can tell me if they hear the same thing. Manufacturers can say anything and I do know that the Nova pedals have a rep for not being all that robust (many delay users reported glitchy operation after getting the pedal) and I have heard TC doesn't readily admit problems.

So that is my dilemna.

15. StuBrew

StuBrew Member

Just seen this post and I can help! When turning the dynamic knob counterclockwise it does do what its meant to do i.e have reverb on when your playing and stops when youre not but it is very picky on how it works.
    What I mean is that it works really well on some of the hall and plate settings but not so obviously on the room/spring settings. Also turning the knob fully counterclockwise can result in there being no reverb at all, like you said.
    I tend to stick with a plate setting with the dynamic knob at 9-10 o'clock for the best results.
    Hope thats of any help, PM me if you have any questions!

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

THANK YOU!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I will have to try the settings you mention, and see if I pick a longer (hall, plate) type if I notice it working like that.

So, with spring or room, if you then move the mix knob up CW, really loses sound?

(I know you said PM, and I can do that too, but I figure I'll save anyone else the trouble if someone gets a Nova Reverb from having to try and get help also...I mean this is good information to have around given the weirdness of the dynamic knob).

Thanks again.

17. Tore TC

Tore TC Member

I might be able to help as well:

The dynamix knob has two functions:

1. Turning it clockwise from the 12 o'clock indent position will make the reverb work like a dynamic delay... only with reverb. The idea behind this is that many guitars players tend to shy away from reverb because they feel it clutters up their sound. By dynamically turning the mix down will playing you can get the nice ambient effect while not playing and a more dry driect sound when playing runs.

2. Turning the Dynamix counter-clockwise from the 12 o'clock indent position will essentially create a gated delay. This is great for more special effect type things and will - obviously - only be really noticable with longer delays times where you can really hear the reverb decay being "cut".

The knob itself is basically a threshold knob that sets how loud you have to play before an envelope automatically turns the mix either down or up. The closer to the extreme positions (fully clock or counter-clockwise) the lower the threshold. Once you go beyond the threshold the mix will either drop (from 12 o'clock and clockwise) or up (from 12 o'clock and counter-clockwise). The further you get away from the threshold point the more the mix will drop, so setting a very low threshold will result in a significant ducking effect while a higher threshold will give you a more subtle effect. (At the 12 o'clock position Dynamix is off.)

If you have problems getting the threshold to "trigger" this could because you're using very low output pickups. While the Dynamix feature should work with any guitar the amount of "effect" will vary depending on the signal being put into it - just like a compressor will compress more at the same threshold/sustain setting when using a Les Paul than a Strat. In that case I'd suggests you try calibrating the pedal.

On most rack gear there's an input gain knob that sets how hard you're hitting AD/DA converters. For optimal performance you want to hit the converters almost as hard as you can, but without clipping the input. (Hence the meters on most digital rack products.)

Pretty much all digital pedals out there don't have an input gain knob, which means that the input gain has to be set for lowest common denominator... otherwise you'd risk clipping when plugging into the pedal with a hot humbucker pickup. But this also means that the pedal won't be performaning as well as it could when using a low output pickup.

All Nova pedals have a gain calibration feature that automatically sets the input gain to it's optimal position, ensuring the best performance no matter what guitar you're using or even if the pedal is in a line level loop.

The Dynamix feature was tuned after the pedal was calibrated and the benefit of this is that it doesn't matter how low or hot a signal you put into the pedal... as long as you've calibrated the pedal first the signal inside the pedal will be the same because we boost or attenuate it so that it's at the optimal level and therefore the amount of effect will be same.

As a side note I should mention that we add/subtract the same amount of dB on the output that we boost or attenuate on the input, so that the pedal is always unity gain. And this is - of course - all done in the analog domain.

This got rather long-winded, but I hope it helps you get Dynamix working.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks Tore, very helpful. This is what I was looking into.
    I appreciate it, now I can drop this thread.