Nova System and midi amp switching

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone Loco, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I'm about an inch from getting a Nova System and wonder if anybody out there can give me some insight about switching my (non midi) amp.

I have 3 buttons on my amp footswitch for Clean/OD, Mid Shift, Tweed/BF. I really want to do away with it and associated tap dancing as part of going to a multi-fx unit. With the voodoo control switcher or the rjm mini amp gizmo I don't see a way to have dedicated control of those 3 footswitch buttons from the NS.

I think I'd need to hit another patch on the NS every time I want to change a F/S button, but if I understand correctly there are only 3 "virtual pedalboards" per bank. Here's what I'm basing this on:

But I'd like to be able to get at the amp's different functions at least on a per pedalboard basis, preferably on the fly. So how do I get to the 4 amp switches with 3 "presets"?

Maybe I could make one of the NS buttons sort of a no-op on each preset as far as the NS effect it is mapped to (distortion block since I use the amp's OD?), but somehow have it default to clean mode on the amp?

This is hard for me to sort out, not having the unit or the midi switcher to mess with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. drwiddly

drwiddly Member

I tried my NS this way a while ago. I used it on it's own as a midi switcher, with a G-Switch and with a separate midi footswitch.

TBH the NS is not really designed to be a midi footswitch or a channel switcher for your amp. It's useful that it has some functionality but it's far from comprehensive. You can have 3 presets per bank and have control over (some of) the effects in each preset. As the NS uses the Reverb, Comp & Drive buttons to switch presets, you lose control over those effects. Adding the G-Switch frees up those buttons again but still limits you to 3 presets per bank. Adding a midi footswitch really increases the options and IMO is the best way to go (although I appreciate it means more stuff on the floor).

I haven't been using my NS for a while but, as I recall, you can't use it to send CC messages only program changes and you can't assign buttons - you're stuck with the 3 on the bottom right. Adding a midi footswitch would give you control over both the NS and your amp channels, either by setting up patches using different amp channels (e.g. clean, crunch & solo) with additional FX control from the nova or a combination of patches and channel switching. whichever serves your needs best. I used mine mainly with a Rolls MP80 which didn't take up too much floor space but also with a Behringer FCB1010 which gave much more control but was a lot of real estate!

3. Tone Loco

Thanks!

One of the reasons for the NS is to keep the size down so adding a controller isn't really the answer I was looking for :(

So far it seems like I'd need to keep a vol/wah, a tuner and probably the amp footswitch in addition to the NS. All of which I doubt would fit on a PT Jr. Bummer!

But thanks for the info, it does clear things up.

4. Tone Loco

I am thinking about getting a Gig-fx Mega Wah that I would mostly use as a volume pedal, but I do need wah in a few places so I figured it makes sense instead of having two rocker pedals on my PT jr board.

The thing is, I currently use a Boss vol pedal and like it because I can set the minimum volume someplace above silent.

Is there a way that I could setup the volume pedal with the NS so that all the way back is actually 50% instead of 0, and still have it work as a normal wah? Can you set a (non midi/expression) pedal up to do different things on different presets, so I could switch to a "wah" preset and have the full pedal range?

5. GrooveSkipInc

GrooveSkipInc Member

The Musicomlabs EFXIII has 2 TRS function switch outputs, midi in&out, and 8 true bypass loops.