Nova System comment

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Acid Test, May 9, 2015.

1. Acid Test

Acid Test Supporting Member

I very much like this unit compared to the others I have owned and most recently the Zoom G5. For what I do, it is a better fit since I use the amplifiers for my gain tones and the Nova for simply effects. Also like the small footprint.

2. randombastage

randombastage Member

Yea it is a remarkably good effects unit. Sound quality and feature set/design. I love the reverbs and delays.
    I have the Nova Drive too for when I want to use an effects loop amp with it and keep it down to only one additional pedal.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I as well have and love the NS. it is more versatile and offers more higher quality effects able to be used easily in a pedalboard format.

4. B Money

B Money Member

I've used the Nova System for many years now and it has proven to be a reliable, great sounding effects unit. It definitely has some limitations and drawbacks compared to the latest generation of all-in-one units, but where it shines is quality of effects and durability.

If TC would release an updated version with amp & cab modeling, USB, and a PC editor I'd be all over it.

5. rsm

rsm Member

I used mine for years and it convinced me to get a G-System. I still have both, but not using either these days...the Nova System is for sale.

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have been an TC Electronic Nova System user for quite sometime now. Owned 2 stock Nova Systems and currently utilizing a Limited Edition Nova System on one of my pedal boards. They are great and reliable units, and sound incredible!

7. ccouch7

ccouch7 Member

I have to jump on the Nova System bandwagon also!
    I've had one for a couple years now and it always works/sounds great
    for me.
    Using it in the loop of an 11 Rack right now.

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

There is a setting for amp/cab modeling to go direct to pa. Just on or off and it's nothing special. Ok for rehearsal except for having to go into the menu system to turn it on and off.

9. B Money

B Money Member

My Nova System doesn't have any amp or cab modeling capability. Just a very basic speaker simulator that was added via a firmware updated based on customer requests. When engaged, it occupies the EQ slot so you can't even adjust the basic tone. I use it occasionally and its ok at best.
    The Nova System was never envisioned to be a direct-to-PA solution.

10. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I've just got the Mesa Mark V:25, and am looking for a good multi-effects system to use with it. I keep coming back to the Nova System for simplicity and quality. I'm just a little concerned that this unit is getting older, and don't want to buy and then have a new replacement out in the next 6 months. I know, its like computers, you just need to buy!

Love the amp tones, and just want effects. The problem is that looking at good effect pedals looks like $1000 to get similar capability.

11. B Money

B Money Member

the Nova System is excellent for your needs. I wouldn't worry about TC releasing an updated version any time soon. Even if they did, so what? The Nova System is great at what it does.
    Just be aware that the latest version does not include S/PDIF digital output if that's important to you.

sundog964 likes this.
  12. sundog964

Well, today I ordered the Nova System from ProAudio Star. $230 including tax and shipping. Wow! I'll get back when I get it and check it out.

13. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Good move! I've owned several TC Nova Systems and am going back to one now again. No matter what I try (GT-100, M13, HD500, Zoom G5, etc...) I always come back to the Nova System. This time I will be using it with a Peavey Valveking II 50 combo. ProAudioStar here, too.

14. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

I've had the Nova System a couple of times and liked it very much. There was a time when I was using it direct to the PA by engaging the speaker simulation and it performed well.

I moved on to the RP360XP for the added flexibility but the NS is still a great unit. I'd love for TC to come out with a new generation of that thing.

15. sundog964

I can certainly say that it works very well in the effects loop of the Mesa Mark V:25. Doesn't color the sound if off, and has very warm and rich effects.

I've managed to get believable Pink Floyd, Doobie Brothers, and Joe Walsh out of the system to date.

All for $230 delivered, new. A bargain!

16. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?

I have owned my NS for about 6 years now, give or take a year. At the time it came out, it was up-to-date sound-wise, and ahead of most other effects systems in it's class. It's sound quality has not diminished over time.

Now that I have heard the H9, and what it can do, while I will not unload my NS, there are several details about the H9, and the Neunaber Seraphim that draw me to those two effects units.

While I might be able to program my NS to sound like either of these two units, I admit openly that I don't know how to get those sounds. I wish that TC would print out the settings to duplicate some of the sounds of an H9 or Neunaber Seraphim, if it is at all possible. For straight ahead effects, the NS is still a winner, but for other effects that are more modern in sound, other specific units, from several companies, may do a better job.
    YMMV

17. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Picked up the Peavey Valveking II 50 combo today. I can't believe the sound I am getting out of this amp with the Nova System! Old school big time and I am loving it. No more modeling for the time being.