Novo Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ford, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The pictures aren't showing up for me, but of those finishes, I know I would prefer the Ocean Turquoise over 3TB..... of course knowing me, I'd probably put it over something like Fiesta Red.. because color...!

Good luck with your decision!

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Not usually into non traditional body shapes and headstocks, played a Novo this past week, was blown away.

Really hard to put down, it felt so good, so broken in, resonated amazing, light weight..

Seriously considering picking one up.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    friend33, juanffz and ford like this.
  3. juanffz

juanffz Member

My fault...

Posted from my cellphone.

Edited.

Here the pictures:

Vandalism Yellow over 3TB:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ocean Turquoise over 3TB (picture has matching headstock, mine would have standard maple headstock):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White over 3TB:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transparent black with block inlays and neck binding:

[​IMG]

4. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

They all look really cool, but that is almost every Novo anyway.

juanffz likes this.
  5. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

Ocean Turquoise over sunburst is one of my all-time favourite Novo looks. Just amazing, and nobody can do “over” finishes like they can...

ford and juanffz like this.
  6. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

How would you guys describe the Fralin Alnico Noiseless P90 pickups? How single coil like are they despite being noiseless?

ford likes this.
  7. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Of those options Ocean turqoise all day.

Have you tried chunky C neck vs medium C neck? Their medium C is one of my favourites (Have the same size also in my Fano and ordered serus J) and it still is just a bit beefier than many fender necks.

xgg likes this.
  8. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

I'm not @juanffz but I have one Serus with the chunky neck and one with the medium and for my hands I *vastly* prefer the chunky... so much so that I'm thinking about selling my J with the intention of probably re-ordering another one down the road with the bigger neck. Find myself playing the T that much more often despite it being a very different guitar pickup-wise, just because it's that much more comfy.

Not that there is anything wrong with the medium, either - it's a great neck shape, and as I've said elsewhere in isolation it's fine... but side-by-side I would always take the chunky...

juanffz likes this.
  9. Simto

Simto Member

I want a Serus J with and chunky neck, Lollar alnico pole pickups and a Mastery vibrato in Mermaid Sparkle so ****ing bad!!!!

It'll be my "Jazzmaster", but I won't have money for it until maybe next year if I'm lucky....

Stratofuzz and Whitecat like this.
  10. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

Yup, each one has their own preferences. Chunky seems to get a bit more love here though. As growing up I played a lot of my friends Music man JP and after it my first own proper electric was SG with slim taper so I've started from thin and progressed to beefier necks during the years, but Im not at the chunky level yet :)

Whitecat likes this.
  11. juanffz

juanffz Member

I have not tried any of Novos necks. I live in Spain and there's not a single Novo dealer in the whole country. So trying one is not an option right now.

Anyhow, I always prefer beefier necks, so the chunky C seems the obvious choice for me.

He_Ma likes this.
  12. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

It seems that things are going well on Dennis and the rest of Novo crew. I just yesterday tried to fill Novo Custom order sheet for Miris J, but at the moment they won't take new orders. They have announcement there: "Due to the amount of backorders, we are temporarily suspending custom builds for now".. I was only half serious with the Miris order because I am already waiting my Serus J, but I've always had problems with GAS when waiting custom orders that take more than 6 months. I hope my Serus J arrives in August/September (I was quoted a year in early september) and there won't be delays for quoted times.

13. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

Not even the first time they've done this... since they route them via a dealer anyway, why not check with the one you were going to choose and see if they have any upcoming build slots that are un-specced or could be modified to suit you? Although I guess that would be pretty serious. ;)

14. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Good for Dennis! And good on him for letting everyone know so that he and Novo don't become one of those builders showing up in "luthier screwed me" threads. He has always been a real professional and continues to show how it is done.

detroiter711 likes this.
  15. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

That would maybe get too serious for me because I know I will not buy any new guitars for a while. I was more or less just looking about what I can get as options in the order sheet. I would love to have two or maybe even three pickup filtertron Miris J with duesy trem at some point. But even with few little extra options these things end up costing amounts that I cannot spend too often without feeling it would be away from my family.

Whitecat likes this.
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

Just waiting on the Solus M-1 Lake Como Blue with a black guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ShredSquatch, Jaya, Playpunk and 4 others like this.
  17. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

What pickups are that in the black one?

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

It's Oxblood over gold, with my poor lighting.

Arcane/ echo park Goldfoils.

19. jmelm

jmelm Silver Supporting Member

So....I’m looking for opinions :)

I already have a Miris J with Lollartons on order as Novo #1.

For #2, I want a Miris T or other Miris. Should I go with the standard T specs (with Tele pickup & full ashtray bridge + Fralin Alnico P90 in the neck), or some other combination? My only criteria is that I don’t want a guitar that is going to be too bright, so I need to keep that in mind for pickup selection, especially in the bridge position. I’m open to the chopper T bridge, Schroeder hardtail, or Tone Pros type bridge (which they like a lot and are going to be using more). So it’s really more about what pickups to go with as I’m open to all bridge possibilities. Looking forward to getting others’ opinions/recommendations, who I’m sure have more experience with Novos and the pickup options than me.

20. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Anybody know if 12" radius an option?

Searched revealed someone had one with compound radius but that was in '16.