• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Novo Guitars

utterhack

Haha! I like Bull Black a lot actually.
no knock on the burgundy mist... they're all just different shades of hot
So I ordered mine with the Medium C neck, but now I’m wondering if I should go with the Chunky C instead.

What do most people seem to prefer between the two?
i'll leave this one to the folks who have some experience with both. in general i like a little junk in the trunk neckwise, and the chunk doesn't seem extra-chunky so i assume that's where I'm headed personally.

Whitecat

So I ordered mine with the Medium C neck, but now I’m wondering if I should go with the Chunky C instead.

My first Novo was a medium C - it was good, but then my second Novo was a Chunky C and it was so much better for me that it caused me to sell my first Novo... so I have a T only now (the first was a J). Intent is to someday reorder essentially a similar or same J with the bigger carve when funds permit. But that Chunky C carve to me is just about the best neck shape that anyone has ever done.

TheRedBoy

I’ve got the Chunky C neck and it feels great. I haven’t played the medium, but I know the chunky was actually a bit smaller than I was expecting.

He_Ma

Did you get blocks and bindings?

I love the medium C but I haven't tried chunky. To me the medium is dream neck, but in general the chunky seems to get bit more love here.

ford

Modz
Staff member
Medium C is what you'd expect on a Fender style.... great feeling necks... I prefer the chunky C.... they aren't a big neck at all but fuller than the regular c.

Alse1829

Yeah, I went with block inlays and binding.

I also emailed Devon and asked to change to the Chunky C... I think I'll like it better.
I think you made a good choice! I have tried the medium c and it was a nice neck, but the chunky c feels perfect. At least to me.

For my Miris build I went with blocks and no neck binding. It looks and plays amazing!!

más_fuerte

Gold Supporting Member
I think you made a good choice! I have tried the medium c and it was a nice neck, but the chunky c feels perfect. At least to me.

For my Miris build I went with blocks and no neck binding. It looks and plays amazing!!
Sounds killer!

Wow, lots of love for the chunky C.

I do like thicker necks... my tele has a chunky C neck that I love, as do my Gibson guitars. In hindsight, it seems like a no brainer!

devinmcgrath

Silver Supporting Member
chunky all the way ! i have mediums on my J's. But i didn't custom order them. I only have one medium that feels too small for me, thats on my s - devon said that they vary a little bit.

trojanhov

My wife just gave me the go ahead to order my novo! I have a baby girl on the way in November so I want the guitar to be shell pink. I’m definitely doing a serus t with lollar goldfoil and special t, but I keep going back and forth between rosewood vs maple board and chunky vs medium neck shape. I’ve had a protocaster tee type that was 0.87 that I loved, and now have a k-line Truxton 0.83 that I also. Is the chunky neck size like a baseball bat?

más_fuerte

Gold Supporting Member
My wife just gave me the go ahead to order my novo! I have a baby girl on the way in November so I want the guitar to be shell pink. I’m definitely doing a serus t with lollar goldfoil and special t, but I keep going back and forth between rosewood vs maple board and chunky vs medium neck shape. I’ve had a protocaster tee type that was 0.87 that I loved, and now have a k-line Truxton 0.83 that I also. Is the chunky neck size like a baseball bat?
First off, congrats on the baby!

Love the shell pink idea... I personally think rosewood looks better with shell pink. I also went back and forth on the neck profile for my recent build, and ultimately settled on the Chunky C. Seems like most people here gravitate towards the Chunky neck. I haven't heard anyone complain about the chunky C, but I've heard a few guys say they wished they had gone chunkier instead of getting the medium profile. YMMV.

Last edited:

Whitecat

Congrats (on all of it!)

Wouldn't describe the chunky-C as a 'baseball bat' at all. It's full, for sure, but has a really palm-molding shape for my hands which are on the somewhat larger side.

Definitely do rosewood with shell pink IMO. :)

Also, unless you are set on that Lollar T bridge pickup for reasons I am unaware of, maybe talk to them about the difference between that and the Fralin they normally use in the bridge with a Lollar GF at the neck. That's what I've got and it's stunningly good. The Fralin pickup sounds huge, larger-than-life.

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
As a guy who plays Nocasters & R9’s and has a Serus T w/a Chunky neck, I wouldn’t consider it to be a “baseball bat”. When I think baseball bat, I think Nocaster, old R7’s, other older Historic Goldtops... People have differing ideas of what a “baseball bat“ neck is. I wouldn’t consider an R9 to have a big neck, for example. Some do. I also don’t have large hands... YMMV....

*will add that I agree w/the above - I’m normally a person who would choose Lollar, but the Fralin bridge pickup is amazing.

He_Ma

Medium c is 0.83-0.92 and chunky is 0.86-0.95 so probably either could do it for you. I love the medium C but chunky seems to get more love here.

trojanhov

Congrats (on all of it!)

Wouldn't describe the chunky-C as a 'baseball bat' at all. It's full, for sure, but has a really palm-molding shape for my hands which are on the somewhat larger side.

Definitely do rosewood with shell pink IMO. :)

Also, unless you are set on that Lollar T bridge pickup for reasons I am unaware of, maybe talk to them about the difference between that and the Fralin they normally use in the bridge with a Lollar GF at the neck. That's what I've got and it's stunningly good. The Fralin pickup sounds huge, larger-than-life.
they won’t mix and match the pickups. Either lollar goldfoil and special t or fralin p45 and fralin bridge. I love tele bridges. What’s everyone’s opinion on the p45?

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
they won’t mix and match the pickups. Either lollar goldfoil and special t or fralin p45 and fralin bridge. I love tele bridges. What’s everyone’s opinion on the p45?
I like the Fralin P45, but do wish it was brighter and clearer. I’m also not the biggest P90 fan, so take that for what it’s worth.

Whitecat

huh, that’s too bad. Feel lucky with what I’ve got then!

Really like the P45. They are dark - too dark for some people, but I think they are fairly detailed as well and articulate nicely. The middle position with those is the real winner.

Trending Topics